Re: Bounces back to myself

  • Mark Alan
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
      On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:10:05 +0200, Muzaffer Tolga Özses
      <tolga@...> wrote:

      > append_dot_mydomain = no
      > biff = no
      > inet_interfaces = all
      > recipient_delimiter = +
      > relayhost =

      You don't need to be re-declaring the postfix default settings again.
      Try if the following helps simplifying your main.cf:

      (postconf -d;postconf -n)|sort|uniq -d

      > smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      > smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
      > smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

      We also have setup our postfix+dovecot using:

      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
      smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

      But we opt for:

      mailbox_command =
      smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
      virtual_transport = dovecot
      dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1

      And, for insurance, we let mailbox_size_limit at its default value (the
      safe and very reasonable 51200000).

      We use cdb instead of mysql so I am afraid that I cannot help you
      with the mysql part. The last time we checked for postfix+dovecot+mysql
      we set for something based in this:
      http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/dovecot-mysql-ubuntu-10.04-lucid

      I hope this helps you.

      Mark
    • Muzaffer Tolga Özses
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
        On 12/04/2012 12:38 PM, Mark Alan wrote:
        > (postconf -d;postconf -n)|sort|uniq -d
        I was asking about how to remove that queue. Other than that, thanks for
        the tips.

        Muzaffer
      • The_Ace
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
          On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Muzaffer Tolga Özses <tolga@...> wrote:

          >Dec 4 09:57:29 kartagis postfix/smtp[21296]: D576E9988: to=
          ><[node:author:mail]@...>, orig_to=<[node:author:mail]>, relay=none, delay=0.01, >delays=0.01/0/0.01/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mail.bilgisayarciniz.org loops back to
          >myself)
          >Dec 4 09:57:29 kartagis postfix/cleanup[21291]: D8D5F998C: message-id=<20121204075729.D8D5F998C@...>
          >Dec 4 09:57:29 kartagis postfix/bounce[21490]: D576E9988: sender non-delivery notification: >D8D5F998C

          As the server has sent Non Delivery Notices, there's no mail in the
          queue to delete..

          Also I think your issue is that you've set the myhostname to
          mail.bilgisayarciniz.org but this is not listed in mydestination or
          virtual_mailbox_domains.
          DNS lookup is probably telling your postfix that MX or A record for
          mail.bilgisayarciniz.org is the server itself. Thus the error message
          saying mail loops back to myself.

          Regards,
          Mihira.
          --
          The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.
        • Benny Pedersen
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
            Muzaffer Tolga Özses skrev den 04-12-2012 09:10:

            > mydestination = localhost

            try using it as default, comment it in main.cf

            if it still loops then recipient domain is missing in mysql

            virtual_mailbox_domains

            > virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
            > virtual_mailbox_domains =
            > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf

            try postmap -q example.org
            mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf

            no output ?, then example.org is missing in sql data, make sure
            mydestination domains exists here, if you want to change it to just
            localhost in main.cf

            test with youŕ own domain to make sure it works

            mail.bilgisayarciniz.org

            are missing ?

            drupalizm.com

            works in postmap
          • Muzaffer Tolga Özses
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
              On 12/05/2012 03:57 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
              > Muzaffer Tolga Özses skrev den 04-12-2012 09:10:
              >
              >> mydestination = localhost
              >
              > try using it as default, comment it in main.cf
              >
              > if it still loops then recipient domain is missing in mysql
              >
              > virtual_mailbox_domains
              >
              >> virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
              >> virtual_mailbox_domains =
              >> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
              >
              > try postmap -q example.org
              > mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
              >
              > no output ?, then example.org is missing in sql data, make sure
              > mydestination domains exists here, if you want to change it to just
              > localhost in main.cf
              >
              > test with youŕ own domain to make sure it works
              >
              > mail.bilgisayarciniz.org
              >
              > are missing ?
              >
              > drupalizm.com
              >
              > works in postmap

              Hi again,

              I've resolved all but one of these bouncing issues. How do I silently
              discard e-mails sent to an unknown user, because they also bounce?

              Regards,
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                Le 06/12/2012 14:58, Muzaffer Tolga Özses a écrit :

                > On 12/05/2012 03:57 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
                >> Muzaffer Tolga Özses skrev den 04-12-2012 09:10:
                >>
                >>> mydestination = localhost
                >>
                >> try using it as default, comment it in main.cf
                >>
                >> if it still loops then recipient domain is missing in mysql
                >>
                >> virtual_mailbox_domains
                >>
                >>> virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
                >>> virtual_mailbox_domains =
                >>> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
                >>
                >> try postmap -q example.org
                >> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
                >>
                >> no output ?, then example.org is missing in sql data, make sure
                >> mydestination domains exists here, if you want to change it to just
                >> localhost in main.cf
                >>
                >> test with youŕ own domain to make sure it works
                >>
                >> mail.bilgisayarciniz.org
                >>
                >> are missing ?
                >>
                >> drupalizm.com
                >>
                >> works in postmap
                >>

                > Hi again,
                >
                > I've resolved all but one of these bouncing issues. How do I silently
                > discard e-mails sent to an unknown user, because they also bounce?

                do not accept mail unless you deliver it.

                now, if you have queued mail to remove, you can use
                # postsuper -d $queueid
              • Muzaffer Tolga Özses
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                  On 12/06/2012 11:38 PM, mouss wrote:
                  > Le 06/12/2012 14:58, Muzaffer Tolga Özses a écrit :

                  >>> try using it as default, comment it in main.cf
                  >>>
                  >>> if it still loops then recipient domain is missing in mysql
                  >>>
                  >>> virtual_mailbox_domains

                  >>> try postmap -q example.org
                  >>> mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
                  >>>
                  >>> no output ?, then example.org is missing in sql data, make sure
                  >>> mydestination domains exists here, if you want to change it to just
                  >>> localhost in main.cf
                  >>>
                  >>> test with youŕ own domain to make sure it works
                  >>>
                  >>> mail.bilgisayarciniz.org
                  >>>
                  >>> are missing ?
                  >>>
                  >>> drupalizm.com
                  >>>
                  >>> works in postmap
                  >>>

                  >> Hi again,
                  >>
                  >> I've resolved all but one of these bouncing issues. How do I silently
                  >> discard e-mails sent to an unknown user, because they also bounce?
                  >
                  > do not accept mail unless you deliver it.
                  >
                  > now, if you have queued mail to remove, you can use
                  > # postsuper -d $queueid

                  The domain exists, but not the user. How do I achieve your suggestion?

                  Regards,
                • Reindl Harald
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Am 07.12.2012 09:37, schrieb Muzaffer Tolga Özses:
                    >> do not accept mail unless you deliver it.
                    >>
                    >> now, if you have queued mail to remove, you can use
                    >> # postsuper -d $queueid
                    >>
                    > The domain exists, but not the user. How do I achieve your suggestion?

                    in my setup "local_recipient_maps" must contain all existent RCPT
                    but my setup maybe very special qith a lot of mysql-maps and tables
                    because dbmail as storage/imap/pop3

                    BEFORE any mailserver will be connected to the internet it
                    is a basic task to make 100% sure not accept messages which
                    can not be finally delivered - either you will get blacklisted
                    because backscattering very soon
                  • Muzaffer Tolga Özses
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                      On 12/07/2012 12:39 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

                      > Am 07.12.2012 09:37, schrieb Muzaffer Tolga Özses:
                      >>> do not accept mail unless you deliver it.
                      >>>
                      >>> now, if you have queued mail to remove, you can use
                      >>> # postsuper -d $queueid
                      >>>
                      >> The domain exists, but not the user. How do I achieve your suggestion?
                      > in my setup "local_recipient_maps" must contain all existent RCPT
                      > but my setup maybe very special qith a lot of mysql-maps and tables
                      > because dbmail as storage/imap/pop3
                      >
                      > BEFORE any mailserver will be connected to the internet it
                      > is a basic task to make 100% sure not accept messages which
                      > can not be finally delivered - either you will get blacklisted
                      > because backscattering very soon

                      NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-ea0-f172.google.com[209.85.215.172]: 550 5.1.1 <root@...>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<tolga@...> to=<root@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-ea0-f172.google.com> <--- This piece of log is from when I try to mail root@... directly.

                      2617A9BFF: to=<root@...>, relay=virtual, delay=0.01, delays=0/0/0/0, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user: "root@...") <--- This is from when the system-sent mail to root is redirected to root@....

                      In both cases root@... does not exist. How can I silently discard in the second case?

                      Regards,
                    • Reindl Harald
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                        Am 07.12.2012 12:26, schrieb Muzaffer Tolga Özses:

                        > On 12/07/2012 12:39 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
                        >> BEFORE any mailserver will be connected to the internet it
                        >> is a basic task to make 100% sure not accept messages which
                        >> can not be finally delivered - either you will get blacklisted
                        >> because backscattering very soon
                        >>
                        > NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-ea0-f172.google.com[209.85.215.172]: 550 5.1.1 <root@...>:
                        > Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<tolga@...>
                        > to=<root@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-ea0-f172.google.com> <--- This piece of log is from when I try
                        > to mail root@... directly.

                        so your config is fine, what's the problem

                        > 2617A9BFF: to=<root@...>, relay=virtual, delay=0.01, delays=0/0/0/0, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced
                        > (unknown user: "root@...") <--- This is from when the system-sent mail to root is redirected to
                        > root@....
                        >
                        > In both cases root@... does not exist. How can I silently discard in the second case?

                        you do NOT want to discard SYSTEM-MAILS

                        in the whole thread was not clear for me that you speak about
                        local delivery and not SMTP

                        /etc/aliases:
                        # Person who should get root's mail
                        root: whoever@...

                        "newaliases" needs to be called after changes!
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                          On 12/7/2012 5:26 AM, Muzaffer Tolga Özses wrote:
                          > NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-ea0-f172.google.com[209.85.215.172]:
                          > 550 5.1.1 <root@...>: Recipient address rejected:
                          > User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<tolga@...>
                          > to=<root@...> proto=ESMTP
                          > helo=<mail-ea0-f172.google.com> <--- This piece of log is from when
                          > I try to mail root@... directly.

                          This is correct behavior; SMTP mail to unknown recipient is rejected.

                          > 2617A9BFF: to=<root@...>, relay=virtual, delay=0.01,
                          > delays=0/0/0/0, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user:
                          > "root@...") <--- This is from when the system-sent
                          > mail to root is redirected to root@....

                          This is correct behavior; undeliverable local mail submitted via the
                          sendmail(1) interface is returned to sender.

                          > In both cases root@... does not exist. How can I
                          > silently discard in the second case?

                          Add a virtual_alias_maps entry redirecting root to a valid
                          recipient. If you don't want these potentially important messages,
                          you can direct the valid recipient to the discard: transport with a
                          transport_maps entry.

                          -- Noel Jones
                        • Muzaffer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012