Re: avoiding overload on port 587

    Message 1 of 54 , Dec 1, 2012
      Stan Hoeppner:
      > ...and I have no experience and pay no
      > attention to what Oracle is doing with Solaris virtualization,
      > "containers" I believe they call it.

      Solaris containers are descendants from FreeBSD jails: they provide
      different userland namespaces(*) on top of a shared OS kernel.

      Hardware virtualization on the other hand provides different hardware
      namespaces(*) on top of a shared hypervisor.

      These are basically sandboxing methods with different levels of
      isolation and performance. I would not expect that jails/containers
      introduce new challenges with respect to missing interrupts.

      Wietse

      (*) Not just file or device names, but also
      memory addresses, disk blocks, and so on.
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 54 of 54 , Dec 4, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 07:46:10AM -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:
        > On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:59:01PM +1300, Peter wrote:
        > > I would still also set up port 587 on the mail.example.com
        > > IP as submission as well and try to encourage your users (at
        > > least the ones you can) to use port 587 from now on.
        >
        > What I would do, on Linux with IPv4 only, is create the submission
        > port and use an iptables redirect for the alternate IP address:
        >
        > # iptables -vt nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport smtp -d \
        > mail.example.com -j REDIRECT --to-port submission
        >
        > This saves the overhead (system and administrative) of running
        > another smtpd on [mail.example.com]:25; he can leave his "smtp ...
        > smtpd" service alone in master.cf.

        Or better yet: replace it with postscreen.

        > I should also add as a reply to Stan in the other subthread: look
        > above at the first quoted paragraph: "Outlook Expresses setup with
        > ... default configuration."
        >
        > Yikes, bad news, very bad. If not doing content filtering nor
        > policy limitation of submission now, he will be soon. And possibly
        > losing his job in any case. Tomas is not in a good place right now.

        To clarify, I meant that if those Outlook Expresses are not yet
        compromised by malware, they will be, soon.