Re: avoiding overload on port 587

  • Robert Schetterer
    Message 1 of 54 , Dec 1, 2012
      Am 01.12.2012 12:24, schrieb Reindl Harald:

      > Am 01.12.2012 03:03, schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
      >>>
      >>> in the real world THESE DAYS especially road warriors use IMAP
      >>> and not POP3! notebook, workstation, tablet, smartphone
      >>
      >> Germany is not the U.S., and neither are Czechoslovakia. The preferred
      >> protocol is dictated by availability of connectivity.
      >
      > WTF has the protocol with connectivity to do?
      >
      > each MUA can download messages so even if you are offline
      > you have access to your mails like they would have been
      > downloaded via POP3
      >
      > the main difference is that you need not to bother which
      > client has which messages and where are which maybe
      > imprtant sent messages

      however postfix is widly used on virtual guests
      it sometimes make more sense have real machines
      specially with high loads etc, everything is ok
      if calculate benefits from both setups before start, for my taste i
      preffer real machines with mail

      Best Regards
      MfG Robert Schetterer

      --
      [*] sys4 AG

      http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
      Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

    • /dev/rob0
      Message 54 of 54 , Dec 4, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 07:46:10AM -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:
        > On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:59:01PM +1300, Peter wrote:
        > > I would still also set up port 587 on the mail.example.com
        > > IP as submission as well and try to encourage your users (at
        > > least the ones you can) to use port 587 from now on.
        >
        > What I would do, on Linux with IPv4 only, is create the submission
        > port and use an iptables redirect for the alternate IP address:
        >
        > # iptables -vt nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport smtp -d \
        > mail.example.com -j REDIRECT --to-port submission
        >
        > This saves the overhead (system and administrative) of running
        > another smtpd on [mail.example.com]:25; he can leave his "smtp ...
        > smtpd" service alone in master.cf.

        Or better yet: replace it with postscreen.

        > I should also add as a reply to Stan in the other subthread: look
        > above at the first quoted paragraph: "Outlook Expresses setup with
        > ... default configuration."
        >
        > Yikes, bad news, very bad. If not doing content filtering nor
        > policy limitation of submission now, he will be soon. And possibly
        > losing his job in any case. Tomas is not in a good place right now.

        To clarify, I meant that if those Outlook Expresses are not yet
        compromised by malware, they will be, soon.