Re: Multiple IP addresses binding

  • WebprodsPT
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
      On 11/30/2012 01:28 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > WebprodsPT:
      >> Hello,
      >>
      >> I am the administrator of a Postfix setup with multiple domains,
      >> multiple IP addresses and SSL configured and up and running. Everything
      >> was configured by myself and I have no restrictions on the mail server
      >> machine so basically I can do whatever you suggest.
      >>
      >> Today I received a new requirement and I'm not being able to configure
      >> it, even after reading lots of resources around the web. Email messages
      >> for each separate domain must be sent FROM their respective IP address.
      >
      > As documented, using "-o smtp_bind_address" with smtpd(8), the mail
      > receiving program, has no effect whatsoever. This feature has effect
      > only on smtp(8), the mail sending program.
      >
      > You may kludge something with sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
      > choosing an appropriate SMTP client depending on the sender address,
      > each SMTP client having its own "-o smtp_bind_address" setting.
      > That obviously does not work for delivery status notifications
      > which, as required by RFC, have the null sender address.
      >
      > The proper solution is to use one POSTFIX INSTANCE per domain/IP
      > address. See http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html
      >
      > Wietse

      Thank you. This information was very useful.
      Now I understand the differences between smtp and smtpd processes and
      why some of the -o parameters where not being used in some circumstances
      (like -o myhostname that is used in smtp aka sending process and must be
      set in each main.conf instance obviously).

      I'm having trouble now with dovecot in multiple instances but I will
      create other thread for hat.

      Thank you