VERP clarification

  • Sam Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
      Am I right in thinking that it's the mailing software/client (Be that
      Mailman/Major Domino/Interspire/OpenEMM etc) that is responsible for
      creating the VERP address, and that it's not something I can get POSTFIX
      to do on the fly (perhaps with a milter or header rewrite) at SMTP time?

      I've read - but don't fully 'get' - the docs, so I'm really looking for
      a basic 'yes you can, read this' or 'no, that's the job of the client'
      type answer.

      Kind regards
      Sam
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
        On 11/30/2012 1:27 PM, Sam Jones wrote:
        > Am I right in thinking that it's the mailing software/client (Be that
        > Mailman/Major Domino/Interspire/OpenEMM etc) that is responsible for
        > creating the VERP address, and that it's not something I can get POSTFIX
        > to do on the fly (perhaps with a milter or header rewrite) at SMTP time?
        >
        > I've read - but don't fully 'get' - the docs, so I'm really looking for
        > a basic 'yes you can, read this' or 'no, that's the job of the client'
        > type answer.
        >
        > Kind regards
        > Sam

        If your mailing list software creates VERP addresses, postfix will
        happily use them.

        Postfix also has built-in support for creating VERP while sending mail.
        http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html

        Official postfix docs can be found here:
        The docs are one of postfix's best features.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Sam Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
          Noel, once more you help me out. Thank you so very much. I did look at
          that, but didn't fully understand it. Now I know I CAN do it, I'll work
          with it and experiment.

          Thank you so much,
          Sam