Re: avoiding overload on port 587

    Message 1 of 54 , Nov 30, 2012
      Tomas Macek:
      > There is still one thing, that I don't understand: when exactly the
      > postfix says that he is not stressed and restarts the processes with
      > stress=no?
      > This is not done when less then default_process_limit smtpd processes are
      > run, because I experienced on my system (default_process_limit = 200),
      > that smtpd with stress=yes were run when there were just 121 smtpd's run
      > in total. Strange?

      Strange, do you really expect Postfix to flip status immediately
      when load drops under the limit, or do you expect it to behave in
      a more rational manner and announce that "peace has come" when the
      load has stayed under the limit for some minimal amount of time?

      Wietse
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 54 of 54 , Dec 4, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 07:46:10AM -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:
        > On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:59:01PM +1300, Peter wrote:
        > > I would still also set up port 587 on the mail.example.com
        > > IP as submission as well and try to encourage your users (at
        > > least the ones you can) to use port 587 from now on.
        >
        > What I would do, on Linux with IPv4 only, is create the submission
        > port and use an iptables redirect for the alternate IP address:
        >
        > # iptables -vt nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport smtp -d \
        > mail.example.com -j REDIRECT --to-port submission
        >
        > This saves the overhead (system and administrative) of running
        > another smtpd on [mail.example.com]:25; he can leave his "smtp ...
        > smtpd" service alone in master.cf.

        Or better yet: replace it with postscreen.

        > I should also add as a reply to Stan in the other subthread: look
        > above at the first quoted paragraph: "Outlook Expresses setup with
        > ... default configuration."
        >
        > Yikes, bad news, very bad. If not doing content filtering nor
        > policy limitation of submission now, he will be soon. And possibly
        > losing his job in any case. Tomas is not in a good place right now.

        To clarify, I meant that if those Outlook Expresses are not yet
        compromised by malware, they will be, soon.