Re: Multiple IP addresses binding

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2012
      WebprodsPT:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am the administrator of a Postfix setup with multiple domains,
      > multiple IP addresses and SSL configured and up and running. Everything
      > was configured by myself and I have no restrictions on the mail server
      > machine so basically I can do whatever you suggest.
      >
      > Today I received a new requirement and I'm not being able to configure
      > it, even after reading lots of resources around the web. Email messages
      > for each separate domain must be sent FROM their respective IP address.

      As documented, using "-o smtp_bind_address" with smtpd(8), the mail
      receiving program, has no effect whatsoever. This feature has effect
      only on smtp(8), the mail sending program.

      You may kludge something with sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
      choosing an appropriate SMTP client depending on the sender address,
      each SMTP client having its own "-o smtp_bind_address" setting.
      That obviously does not work for delivery status notifications
      which, as required by RFC, have the null sender address.

      The proper solution is to use one POSTFIX INSTANCE per domain/IP
      address. See http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html

      Wietse
    • WebprodsPT
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
        On 11/30/2012 01:28 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > WebprodsPT:
        >> Hello,
        >>
        >> I am the administrator of a Postfix setup with multiple domains,
        >> multiple IP addresses and SSL configured and up and running. Everything
        >> was configured by myself and I have no restrictions on the mail server
        >> machine so basically I can do whatever you suggest.
        >>
        >> Today I received a new requirement and I'm not being able to configure
        >> it, even after reading lots of resources around the web. Email messages
        >> for each separate domain must be sent FROM their respective IP address.
        >
        > As documented, using "-o smtp_bind_address" with smtpd(8), the mail
        > receiving program, has no effect whatsoever. This feature has effect
        > only on smtp(8), the mail sending program.
        >
        > You may kludge something with sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
        > choosing an appropriate SMTP client depending on the sender address,
        > each SMTP client having its own "-o smtp_bind_address" setting.
        > That obviously does not work for delivery status notifications
        > which, as required by RFC, have the null sender address.
        >
        > The proper solution is to use one POSTFIX INSTANCE per domain/IP
        > address. See http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html
        >
        > Wietse

        Thank you. This information was very useful.
        Now I understand the differences between smtp and smtpd processes and
        why some of the -o parameters where not being used in some circumstances
        (like -o myhostname that is used in smtp aka sending process and must be
        set in each main.conf instance obviously).

        I'm having trouble now with dovecot in multiple instances but I will
        create other thread for hat.

        Thank you