Support for MDB in postfix 2.10?

  • Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2012
      Hi,

      Will the support for the new MDB database from the OpenLDAP foundation be
      added to the Postfix 2.10 release? I'm currently working on removing all
      vestiges of BDB from the various pieces of software we use, and Postfix is
      one of pieces of software we have that links to BDB. I see patches for MDB
      support for Postfix have already been submitted to the -devel list.

      Thanks,
      Quanah

      --

      Quanah Gibson-Mount
      Sr. Member of Technical Staff
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2012
        Quanah Gibson-Mount:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Will the support for the new MDB database from the OpenLDAP foundation be
        > added to the Postfix 2.10 release? I'm currently working on removing all
        > vestiges of BDB from the various pieces of software we use, and Postfix is
        > one of pieces of software we have that links to BDB. I see patches for MDB
        > support for Postfix have already been submitted to the -devel list.

        I will evaluate the MDB client once there is an MDB library package
        for a main-stream Linux or *BSD platform.

        That is, something that installs MDB include files, an MDB object
        library file, and MDB documentation in /usr/{include,lib,man} or
        /usr/local/{include,lib,man}.

        You can accelerate this process by monitoring the repositories.

        Wietse
      • Quanah Gibson-Mount
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2012
          --On Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:10 PM -0500 Wietse Venema
          <wietse@...> wrote:

          > Quanah Gibson-Mount:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> Will the support for the new MDB database from the OpenLDAP foundation
          >> be added to the Postfix 2.10 release? I'm currently working on
          >> removing all vestiges of BDB from the various pieces of software we
          >> use, and Postfix is one of pieces of software we have that links to
          >> BDB. I see patches for MDB support for Postfix have already been
          >> submitted to the -devel list.
          >
          > I will evaluate the MDB client once there is an MDB library package
          > for a main-stream Linux or *BSD platform.
          >
          > That is, something that installs MDB include files, an MDB object
          > library file, and MDB documentation in /usr/{include,lib,man} or
          > /usr/local/{include,lib,man}.

          Thanks, sounds reasonable.

          Regards,
          Quanah

          --

          Quanah Gibson-Mount
          Sr. Member of Technical Staff
          Zimbra, Inc
          A Division of VMware, Inc.
          --------------------
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2012
            On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:32:54 -0800
            Quanah Gibson-Mount articulated:

            > --On Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:10 PM -0500 Wietse Venema
            > <wietse@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Quanah Gibson-Mount:
            > >> Hi,
            > >>
            > >> Will the support for the new MDB database from the OpenLDAP
            > >> foundation be added to the Postfix 2.10 release? I'm currently
            > >> working on removing all vestiges of BDB from the various pieces
            > >> of software we use, and Postfix is one of pieces of software we
            > >> have that links to BDB. I see patches for MDB support for
            > >> Postfix have already been submitted to the -devel list.
            > >
            > > I will evaluate the MDB client once there is an MDB library package
            > > for a main-stream Linux or *BSD platform.
            > >
            > > That is, something that installs MDB include files, an MDB object
            > > library file, and MDB documentation in /usr/{include,lib,man} or
            > > /usr/local/{include,lib,man}.
            >
            > Thanks, sounds reasonable.

            I wasn't aware of it myself. I just found this documentation though. It
            is quite interesting. http://www.openldap.org/pub/hyc/mdm-paper.pdf

            --
            Jerry ✌
            postfix-user@...

            Hartley's First Law:
            You can lead a horse to water, but if you can
            get him to float on his back, you've got something.
          • Quanah Gibson-Mount
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 29, 2012
              --On Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:55 PM -0500 Jerry
              <postfix-user@...> wrote:

              >> Thanks, sounds reasonable.
              >
              > I wasn't aware of it myself. I just found this documentation though. It
              > is quite interesting. http://www.openldap.org/pub/hyc/mdm-paper.pdf

              You may want to read over <http://www.symas.com/mdb/> then. ;)

              --Quanah

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                <wietse@...> wrote:

                > I will evaluate the MDB client once there is an MDB library package
                > for a main-stream Linux or *BSD platform.
                >
                > That is, something that installs MDB include files, an MDB object
                > library file, and MDB documentation in /usr/{include,lib,man} or
                > /usr/local/{include,lib,man}.
                >
                > You can accelerate this process by monitoring the repositories.

                Arch Linux now has a package for it:

                <https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mdb-git/>

                --Quanah

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                  Quanah Gibson-Mount:
                  > > I will evaluate the MDB client once there is an MDB library package
                  > > for a main-stream Linux or *BSD platform.
                  > >
                  > > That is, something that installs MDB include files, an MDB object
                  > > library file, and MDB documentation in /usr/{include,lib,man} or
                  > > /usr/local/{include,lib,man}.
                  > >
                  > > You can accelerate this process by monitoring the repositories.
                  >
                  > Arch Linux now has a package for it:
                  >
                  > <https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mdb-git/>

                  This resolves to a totally-undocumented shell script with
                  totally-undocumented external dependencies. No "usage" message, not
                  even a manpage.

                  Wietse
                • Patrick Lists
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                    On 02/25/2013 02:14 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                    > Quanah Gibson-Mount:
                    >>> I will evaluate the MDB client once there is an MDB library package
                    >>> for a main-stream Linux or *BSD platform.
                    >>>
                    >>> That is, something that installs MDB include files, an MDB object
                    >>> library file, and MDB documentation in /usr/{include,lib,man} or
                    >>> /usr/local/{include,lib,man}.
                    >>>
                    >>> You can accelerate this process by monitoring the repositories.
                    >>
                    >> Arch Linux now has a package for it:
                    >>
                    >> <https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mdb-git/>
                    >
                    > This resolves to a totally-undocumented shell script with
                    > totally-undocumented external dependencies. No "usage" message, not
                    > even a manpage.

                    Hi Wietse,

                    The documentation for MDB can be found here:
                    http://symas.com/mdb/doc/index.html

                    The source (git head) can be downloaded here:
                    http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/mdb.master

                    On my CentOS 6.3 x86_64 box libmdb compiles with a simple make and make
                    install puts it by default in /usr/local. It contains manpages too.

                    Is that what you are looking for or do you need an actual packaged
                    version like an RPM?

                    Regards,
                    Patrick
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                      Patrick Lists:
                      > On 02/25/2013 02:14 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                      > > Quanah Gibson-Mount:

                      > >> Arch Linux now has a package for it:
                      > >>
                      > >> <https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mdb-git/>
                      > >
                      > > This resolves to a totally-undocumented shell script with
                      > > totally-undocumented external dependencies. No "usage" message, not
                      > > even a manpage.
                      >
                      > Hi Wietse,
                      >
                      > The documentation for MDB can be found here:
                      > http://symas.com/mdb/doc/index.html

                      I will evaluate the MDB client once there is a package for a
                      mainstream LINUX or *BSD distribution that people can install by
                      typing one or two commands.

                      Wietse
                    • Patrick Lists
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                        On 02/25/2013 02:53 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                        [snip]
                        > I will evaluate the MDB client once there is a package for a
                        > mainstream LINUX or *BSD distribution that people can install by
                        > typing one or two commands.

                        (Resend without the (S)RPMs since it exceeded the allowed size)

                        Hi Wietse,

                        It seems liblmdb is not yet available in Fedora, RHEL/CentOS. So I just
                        created an RPM for RHEL6/CentOS6. Spec file attached. You can download
                        the x86_64 RPMs & SRPM at http://pjl.home.xs4all.nl/downloads/liblmdb/

                        Regards,
                        Patrick
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                          Wietse:
                          > I will evaluate the MDB client once there is a package for a
                          > mainstream LINUX or *BSD distribution that people can install by
                          > typing one or two commands.

                          Patrick Lists:
                          > It seems liblmdb is not yet available in Fedora, RHEL/CentOS. So I just
                          > created an RPM for RHEL6/CentOS6. Spec file attached. You can download
                          > the x86_64 RPMs & SRPM at http://pjl.home.xs4all.nl/downloads/liblmdb/

                          FYI, in order to maintain Postfix in a meaningful manner I need to
                          know what the library will look like on OTHER people's systems.
                          Therefore I will wait until there is a package for a mainstream
                          LINUX or *BSD distribution that OTHER people can install by typing
                          one or two commands.

                          Howard's Postfix client code from a few months ago requires mdb.h
                          and libmdb.*. On the other hand your SRPM appears to install lmdb.h
                          and liblmdb.*. Is this the beginning of a Babylonian confusion?
                          What names will real systems use?

                          Wietse
                        • Patrick Lists
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                            On 02/25/2013 07:19 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
                            > FYI, in order to maintain Postfix in a meaningful manner I need to
                            > know what the library will look like on OTHER people's systems.
                            > Therefore I will wait until there is a package for a mainstream
                            > LINUX or *BSD distribution that OTHER people can install by typing
                            > one or two commands.

                            Got it. I'll see what it takes to get this RPM included in Fedora and
                            EPEL. If accepted that would cover Fedora, RHEL and CentOS.

                            > Howard's Postfix client code from a few months ago requires mdb.h
                            > and libmdb.*. On the other hand your SRPM appears to install lmdb.h
                            > and liblmdb.*. Is this the beginning of a Babylonian confusion?
                            > What names will real systems use?

                            Judging from the git commit log, on Nov 12, 2012 the "l" was added due
                            to a naming conflict with other mdb* packages. See commit:

                            http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=commitdiff;h=13f3bcd59c2055d53e4759b0c3356b001eca44b0

                            So the correct name is lmdb (liblmdb.so and lmdb.h).

                            Regards,
                            Patrick
                          • Quanah Gibson-Mount
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                              --On Monday, February 25, 2013 7:36 PM +0100 Patrick Lists
                              <postfix-list@...> wrote:

                              > Judging from the git commit log, on Nov 12, 2012 the "l" was added due to
                              > a naming conflict with other mdb* packages. See commit:
                              >
                              > http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=commitdiff;h=13
                              > f3bcd59c2055d53e4759b0c3356b001eca44b0
                              >
                              > So the correct name is lmdb (liblmdb.so and lmdb.h).

                              Specifically because there is a package on Debian that already provided
                              "libmdb.so" for some software from Microsoft. We couldn't find any
                              conflict with liblmdb.so.

                              --Quanah

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                                --On Monday, February 25, 2013 11:10 AM -0800 Quanah Gibson-Mount
                                <quanah@...> wrote:

                                > --On Monday, February 25, 2013 7:36 PM +0100 Patrick Lists
                                > <postfix-list@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Judging from the git commit log, on Nov 12, 2012 the "l" was added due to
                                >> a naming conflict with other mdb* packages. See commit:
                                >>
                                >> http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=commitdiff;h=13
                                >> f3bcd59c2055d53e4759b0c3356b001eca44b0
                                >>
                                >> So the correct name is lmdb (liblmdb.so and lmdb.h).
                                >
                                > Specifically because there is a package on Debian that already provided
                                > "libmdb.so" for some software from Microsoft. We couldn't find any
                                > conflict with liblmdb.so.

                                Debian packaging issue:
                                <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694757>
                                FreeBSD packaging issue: <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=174007>

                                --Quanah

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 25, 2013
                                  Quanah Gibson-Mount:
                                  > --On Monday, February 25, 2013 7:36 PM +0100 Patrick Lists
                                  > <postfix-list@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Judging from the git commit log, on Nov 12, 2012 the "l" was added due to
                                  > > a naming conflict with other mdb* packages. See commit:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=commitdiff;h=13
                                  > > f3bcd59c2055d53e4759b0c3356b001eca44b0
                                  > >
                                  > > So the correct name is lmdb (liblmdb.so and lmdb.h).
                                  >
                                  > Specifically because there is a package on Debian that already provided
                                  > "libmdb.so" for some software from Microsoft. We couldn't find any
                                  > conflict with liblmdb.so.

                                  I figured this was mdbtools (for Microsoft Access databases) which
                                  is available for Linux and BSD systems among others.

                                  Please keep me posted when there is a package that *other* people
                                  can install on a main-stream OS distribution, so that *I* know what
                                  *their* Postfix will need work with.

                                  Wietse
                                • Quanah Gibson-Mount
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 11, 2013
                                    --On Monday, February 25, 2013 2:29 PM -0500 Wietse Venema
                                    <wietse@...> wrote:

                                    > Please keep me posted when there is a package that *other* people
                                    > can install on a main-stream OS distribution, so that *I* know what
                                    > *their* Postfix will need work with.

                                    FreeBSD now has an official lmdb ports package.
                                    <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=174007> has been closed.

                                    --Quanah

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 15, 2013
                                      Quanah Gibson-Mount:
                                      > <wietse@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Please keep me posted when there is a package that *other* people
                                      > > can install on a main-stream OS distribution, so that *I* know what
                                      > > *their* Postfix will need work with.
                                      >
                                      > FreeBSD now has an official lmdb ports package.
                                      > <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=174007> has been closed.

                                      I have updated the Postfix patch for "lmdb" databases. This is now
                                      included in snapshot 20130315.

                                      However, this code has several unexpected limitations. I documented
                                      the ones that I discovered today in LMDB_README. Because of the
                                      limitations, the code is "snapshot only", i.e. it will not be part
                                      of the stable release without major changes.

                                      I suggest that people do not abandon CDB databases just yet.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 17, 2013
                                        Wietse Venema:
                                        > Quanah Gibson-Mount:
                                        > > <wietse@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Please keep me posted when there is a package that *other* people
                                        > > > can install on a main-stream OS distribution, so that *I* know what
                                        > > > *their* Postfix will need work with.
                                        > >
                                        > > FreeBSD now has an official lmdb ports package.
                                        > > <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=174007> has been closed.
                                        >
                                        > I have updated the Postfix patch for "lmdb" databases. This is now
                                        > included in snapshot 20130315.

                                        Snaphot 20130317 addresses sub-optimal behavior in the LMDB client
                                        code that affected tlsmgr and "postmap -i", and it makes the code
                                        more resilient.

                                        In particular, the Postfix LMDB client will no longer keep crashing
                                        on a "database full" error. Instead, Postfix can now recover without
                                        immediately requiring human intervention. This is important because
                                        many Postfix databases contain data that is maintained by a Postfix
                                        daemon process, and the size of the data is not known in advance.

                                        With this, LMDB no longer requires constant watching for "database
                                        full" errors. As the system recovers from an error, it logs a warning
                                        that humans can take care of the next day.

                                        Wietse
                                      • Quanah Gibson-Mount
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 18, 2013
                                          --On Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:15 PM -0400 Wietse Venema
                                          <wietse@...> wrote:

                                          > Snaphot 20130317 addresses sub-optimal behavior in the LMDB client
                                          > code that affected tlsmgr and "postmap -i", and it makes the code
                                          > more resilient.
                                          >
                                          > In particular, the Postfix LMDB client will no longer keep crashing
                                          > on a "database full" error. Instead, Postfix can now recover without
                                          > immediately requiring human intervention. This is important because
                                          > many Postfix databases contain data that is maintained by a Postfix
                                          > daemon process, and the size of the data is not known in advance.
                                          >
                                          > With this, LMDB no longer requires constant watching for "database
                                          > full" errors. As the system recovers from an error, it logs a warning
                                          > that humans can take care of the next day.

                                          Excellent news, thank you Wietse! Does this mean it may be included in a
                                          future release?

                                          --Quanah

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 18, 2013
                                            --On Monday, March 18, 2013 4:26 PM -0400 Wietse Venema
                                            <wietse@...> wrote:

                                            > Quanah Gibson-Mount:
                                            >> --On Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:15 PM -0400 Wietse Venema
                                            >> <wietse@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> > Snaphot 20130317 addresses sub-optimal behavior in the LMDB client
                                            >> > code that affected tlsmgr and "postmap -i", and it makes the code
                                            >> > more resilient.
                                            >> >
                                            >> > In particular, the Postfix LMDB client will no longer keep crashing
                                            >> > on a "database full" error. Instead, Postfix can now recover without
                                            >> > immediately requiring human intervention. This is important because
                                            >> > many Postfix databases contain data that is maintained by a Postfix
                                            >> > daemon process, and the size of the data is not known in advance.
                                            >> >
                                            >> > With this, LMDB no longer requires constant watching for "database
                                            >> > full" errors. As the system recovers from an error, it logs a warning
                                            >> > that humans can take care of the next day.
                                            >>
                                            >> Excellent news, thank you Wietse! Does this mean it may be included in
                                            >> a future release?
                                            >
                                            > Yes. And with these failure modes eliminated, it becomes worthwhile
                                            > to explore new opportunities, such as updating a shared table.
                                            >
                                            > For example, multiple postscreen(8) or tlsmgr(8) or verify(8) daemons
                                            > should be able to update a shared LMDB database, something that
                                            > cannot safely be done with Berkeley DB. Occasionally some daemon
                                            > may restart to automatically recover from an LMDB "table full"
                                            > condition, but the system won't come to a halt. You can postpone
                                            > these restarts by increasing lmdb_map_size in main.cf before the
                                            > table reaches that limit.

                                            These sound like really excellent improvements. I've been using MDB with
                                            OpenLDAP for a while, and we're working hard on removing our reliance on
                                            BDB everywhere, so now that postfix has support for it, it is a major win
                                            in my book. Thank you!

                                            --Quanah