Re: Postfix with Active directory

  • Erwan David
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
      On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:22:48AM CET, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...> said:
      > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Erwan David <erwan@...> wrote:
      > > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 09:03:56AM CET, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...> said:
      > >> Newbie Alert! :)
      > >>
      > >> i am using Postfix with maildir and i want my mailboxes to be
      > >> integrated with my active directly windows 2003 server.
      > >> i don't want to recreate all the "accounts" and "home directories" in
      > >> Linux which are already created in active directory.
      > >>
      > >> i am already familiar and using winbind with samba. however i do not
      > >> know the better approach with postfix. need help.
      > >>

      > > You can use active directory as a ldap server, the ldap schema is
      > > rather specific, but you can get all the information you want from it.
      > > And postfix works great with ldap.
      >
      > would you please recommend any howto for LDAP with postfix?
      > secondly, do i have to create home folder manually or is there any
      > procedure or work around for this?

      I used http://www.postfix.org/LDAP_README.html (but not with AD, I have openLDAP)

      The need for home folders or other setting depends on your pop/imap
      server, and your choices of configuration.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
        On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 01:03:56PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

        > I am using Postfix with maildir and I want my mailboxes to be
        > integrated with my active directly windows 2003 server.

        So you're not using Microsoft Exchange, with Postfix just a border
        gateway then?

        If so, your Active Directory likely lacks the email specific schema
        elements and management tools that come with Exchange.

        > I don't want to recreate all the "accounts" and "home directories" in
        > Linux which are already created in active directory.

        If your users can already login to the system via "winbind", ...
        Postfix will already see them as "local" users. Just arrange for
        local(8) to deliver their mail appropriately. One way to do that
        is to use mailbox_transport and/or mailbox_transport_maps setting
        that to a transport that will hand-off the mail to dovecot lmtp.

        Then you just have to configure dovecot with PAM authentication
        and a mapping from username to maildir path.

        A common configuration (with user email addresses in the domain,
        rather than the hostname of the server) is:

        myorigin = $mydomain
        mydestination =
        $myhostname, $mydomain, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
        mailbox_transport = lmtp:[127.0.0.1]:24

        the rest is up to dovecot. This delegates user lookup to AD via
        local_recipient_maps which defaults to

        proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps

        and the underlying passwd.byname lookups are just calls to getpwnam(3)
        which are presumably handled by winbind.