Re: Lamentation and query

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 25, 2012
      On 11/24/2012 12:44 PM, Dennis Carr wrote:

      > I miss my dead tree versions being current. =/

      An old friend of mine used to have 3 large book cases of computer books.
      One was filled with the full book set of a couple Caldera releases, a
      few Red Hat releases, and every SuSE release he had purchased from 7.2
      IIRC onward. He's never opened most of them. He uses the digital
      documentation as it's faster, easier. He just likes looking around his
      office at all the books.

      Dennis, how many computer books, or books in general, do you own? Do
      you have any on display? Or are they all simply hoarded away in boxes
      in the attic or basement?

      The prescribed solution for this problem isn't more newer books, but
      therapy for the personality disorder known as "hoarding". I think
      there's a "reality" TV show about this.

      --
      Stan
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 25, 2012
        Stan Hoeppner:
        > On 11/24/2012 12:44 PM, Dennis Carr wrote:
        >
        > > I miss my dead tree versions being current. =/
        >
        > An old friend of mine used to have 3 large book cases of computer books.
        > One was filled with the full book set of a couple Caldera releases, a
        > few Red Hat releases, and every SuSE release he had purchased from 7.2
        > IIRC onward. He's never opened most of them. He uses the digital
        > documentation as it's faster, easier. He just likes looking around his
        > office at all the books.
        >
        > Dennis, how many computer books, or books in general, do you own? Do
        > you have any on display? Or are they all simply hoarded away in boxes
        > in the attic or basement?
        >
        > The prescribed solution for this problem isn't more newer books, but
        > therapy for the personality disorder known as "hoarding". I think
        > there's a "reality" TV show about this.

        I like books. When I look around I don't see hefty tomes that promise
        me to reveal their secrets, with screenshots that were obsolete
        before the ink was dry. Among my favorites are the insights by
        Fred Brooks, Peter Bentley, Brian Kernigan, Plauger, and of course
        the late Richard Stevens. My books cover generations of operating
        systems, networking, and programming languages. Even though computers
        look different each year, what happens below the surface changes
        rarely.

        On the surface, if I need to look up an API definition or usage
        example, then I'll use the web; but if I care about the program,
        then I'll still have to check with official documentation to ensure
        that my code has any guarantees of working a year from now. The
        books provide the insights into why things work the way they do,
        what happens below the surface.

        As for Postfix, it doesn't evolve as fast, and capturing it in a
        book is not as challenging, as 10 years ago. I suspect that the
        world is not large enough that it can sustain multiple books on
        Postfix (though I think that translations of good books can help).
        I am also aware that many books are a work of love, not a money
        maker for the author or publisher. I hope Patrick can find the
        time to bring the work to completion, because I don't have it.

        Wietse
      • Dennis Carr
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 29, 2012
          On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 12:50:48 -0700
          Glenn English <ghe@...> wrote:

          > Have you considered printing (parts of) the website?

          I hadn't, but being a broke college student, it may cost a bit. I
          could probably pull off printing it on campus though....

          -Dennis
        • Dennis Carr
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 29, 2012
            On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:35:46 +0100
            Patrick Ben Koetter <p@...> wrote:

            > I am working on an updated version as time permits.

            Thank you, Patrick. Looking forward to the newer version when it's out
            there.

            -Dennis
          • Dennis Carr
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 29, 2012
              On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:08:26 -0600
              Stan Hoeppner <stan@...> wrote:

              > Dennis, how many computer books, or books in general, do you own? Do
              > you have any on display? Or are they all simply hoarded away in boxes
              > in the attic or basement?

              Two shelves of books I could use regularly on things various such as
              computers and matters spiritual, inclusive of a fictoin collection, and
              a small collection of text books from my studies of late.

              Reading Seattle, by the way, is not a bad collection of excerpts.

              > The prescribed solution for this problem isn't more newer books, but
              > therapy for the personality disorder known as "hoarding". I think
              > there's a "reality" TV show about this.

              Well, I got rid of the old DOS and OS/2 Warp books eons ago, when I
              disposed of my printed manuals for Maximus and Binkley....

              Do understand taht I previously owned the books I noted; the reason I
              do not now is because they were lost in a move some time ago, and I'm
              just getting to a point where I want to reobtain them.

              -Dennis
            • Dennis Carr
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 29, 2012
                On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 16:10:11 +0000
                Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@...> wrote:

                > The basic concepts (what you need to understand) have not changed
                > much, in that sense the old books are fine. The specific facts you
                > need to know to tweak Postfix to do non-routine tasks may have
                > changed a bit, but the documentation for that is online.

                Given that, then, the latest from either No Starch or O'Reilly may just
                be perfectly cromulent for my purposes.

                > An Amazon book printed on demand, is possible but is not going
                > to make anyone any money for the time spent.

                ...you think I can get Amazon to do my dishes? =D

                -Dennis