[OT] Non-interactive Debian (aptitude) install

  • Glenn Park
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
      Hello,

      When I install Postfix using aptitude on a fresh Debian system, an
      interactive GUI comes up asking me how it wants me to configure
      postfix. I'd like to suppress this interface and make it default to
      "No configuration" (I am automating the installation and have my own
      configuration files, thank you). However I can find nothing
      documented that allows me to do this. Can anyone help?

      Thank you
    • Scott Kitterman
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
        On Friday, November 23, 2012 07:55:57 PM Glenn Park wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > When I install Postfix using aptitude on a fresh Debian system, an
        > interactive GUI comes up asking me how it wants me to configure
        > postfix. I'd like to suppress this interface and make it default to
        > "No configuration" (I am automating the installation and have my own
        > configuration files, thank you). However I can find nothing
        > documented that allows me to do this. Can anyone help?

        There are some assumptions built into the way the postfix packaging interact
        with debconf that make this a risky thing to do. See (Debian and Ubuntu are
        the same in this regard):

        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1027061

        Scott K
      • Glenn Park
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
          On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Scott Kitterman <postfix@...> wrote:
          > On Friday, November 23, 2012 07:55:57 PM Glenn Park wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> When I install Postfix using aptitude on a fresh Debian system, an
          >> interactive GUI comes up asking me how it wants me to configure
          >> postfix. I'd like to suppress this interface and make it default to
          >> "No configuration" (I am automating the installation and have my own
          >> configuration files, thank you). However I can find nothing
          >> documented that allows me to do this. Can anyone help?
          >
          > There are some assumptions built into the way the postfix packaging interact
          > with debconf that make this a risky thing to do. See (Debian and Ubuntu are
          > the same in this regard):
          >
          > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1027061

          Pardon my lack of understanding here (I did read that whole
          conversation), but I'm a little hazy on what the problem is. What's
          the difference between giving a "No Configuration" answer ahead of
          time/by default and doing it with the GUI that is presented? But are
          you saying that it's impossible to suppress anyway?

          Rather, you seem to be suggesting that upon update, we may see our
          configuration changed out from under us? We are not using puppet or
          anything like that. Config is by hand.
        • Scott Kitterman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
            On Friday, November 23, 2012 09:29:08 PM Glenn Park wrote:
            > On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Scott Kitterman <postfix@...>
            wrote:
            > > On Friday, November 23, 2012 07:55:57 PM Glenn Park wrote:
            > >> Hello,
            > >>
            > >> When I install Postfix using aptitude on a fresh Debian system, an
            > >> interactive GUI comes up asking me how it wants me to configure
            > >> postfix. I'd like to suppress this interface and make it default to
            > >> "No configuration" (I am automating the installation and have my own
            > >> configuration files, thank you). However I can find nothing
            > >> documented that allows me to do this. Can anyone help?
            > >
            > > There are some assumptions built into the way the postfix packaging
            > > interact with debconf that make this a risky thing to do. See (Debian
            > > and Ubuntu are the same in this regard):
            > >
            > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1027061
            >
            > Pardon my lack of understanding here (I did read that whole
            > conversation), but I'm a little hazy on what the problem is. What's
            > the difference between giving a "No Configuration" answer ahead of
            > time/by default and doing it with the GUI that is presented? But are
            > you saying that it's impossible to suppress anyway?
            >
            > Rather, you seem to be suggesting that upon update, we may see our
            > configuration changed out from under us? We are not using puppet or
            > anything like that. Config is by hand.

            Yes. The postfix package is designed to be configured by the debconf (Debian
            Configuration) system. If, in the internal status of the debconf system,
            postfix is marked as "No configuration" via there being no status entry, so
            there's currently no way to distinguish between "desired configuration is 'No
            configuration'" and "Don't do anything, something else will handle it."

            I have not had time to research this issue. I expect it's reasonably
            tractable to fix, but I don't know when I'll be able to get to it.

            What I usually do is pick "Internet site" and then modify things from there.
            If you do that once, even if you copy your config files over the provided ones,
            you won't have to worry about your changes getting reverted.

            Scott K
          • Glenn Park
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
              On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Scott Kitterman <postfix@...> wrote:
              > On Friday, November 23, 2012 09:29:08 PM Glenn Park wrote:
              >> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Scott Kitterman <postfix@...>
              > wrote:

              >> > There are some assumptions built into the way the postfix packaging
              >> > interact with debconf that make this a risky thing to do. See (Debian
              >> > and Ubuntu are the same in this regard):
              >> >
              >> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1027061
              >>
              >> Pardon my lack of understanding here (I did read that whole
              >> conversation), but I'm a little hazy on what the problem is. What's
              >> the difference between giving a "No Configuration" answer ahead of
              >> time/by default and doing it with the GUI that is presented? But are
              >> you saying that it's impossible to suppress anyway?
              >>
              >> Rather, you seem to be suggesting that upon update, we may see our
              >> configuration changed out from under us? We are not using puppet or
              >> anything like that. Config is by hand.
              >
              > Yes. The postfix package is designed to be configured by the debconf (Debian
              > Configuration) system. If, in the internal status of the debconf system,
              > postfix is marked as "No configuration" via there being no status entry, so
              > there's currently no way to distinguish between "desired configuration is 'No
              > configuration'" and "Don't do anything, something else will handle it."
              >
              > I have not had time to research this issue. I expect it's reasonably
              > tractable to fix, but I don't know when I'll be able to get to it.
              >
              > What I usually do is pick "Internet site" and then modify things from there.
              > If you do that once, even if you copy your config files over the provided ones,
              > you won't have to worry about your changes getting reverted.

              Woa, wait, so even if I choose "No configuration" in the GUI, my
              config may be overwritten?

              If I have to choose "Internet site" in order to be able to put my own
              config files in place (and not have them overwritten), that's fine.
              But my question is how I can do that unattended?

              Thanks, Scott
            • Scott Kitterman
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
                On Friday, November 23, 2012 11:05:42 PM Glenn Park wrote:
                > On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Scott Kitterman <postfix@...>
                wrote:
                > > On Friday, November 23, 2012 09:29:08 PM Glenn Park wrote:

                > >> Pardon my lack of understanding here (I did read that whole
                > >> conversation), but I'm a little hazy on what the problem is. What's
                > >> the difference between giving a "No Configuration" answer ahead of
                > >> time/by default and doing it with the GUI that is presented? But are
                > >> you saying that it's impossible to suppress anyway?
                > >>
                > >> Rather, you seem to be suggesting that upon update, we may see our
                > >> configuration changed out from under us? We are not using puppet or
                > >> anything like that. Config is by hand.
                > >
                > > Yes. The postfix package is designed to be configured by the debconf
                > > (Debian Configuration) system. If, in the internal status of the debconf
                > > system, postfix is marked as "No configuration" via there being no status
                > > entry, so there's currently no way to distinguish between "desired
                > > configuration is 'No configuration'" and "Don't do anything, something
                > > else will handle it."
                > >
                > > I have not had time to research this issue. I expect it's reasonably
                > > tractable to fix, but I don't know when I'll be able to get to it.
                > >
                > > What I usually do is pick "Internet site" and then modify things from
                > > there. If you do that once, even if you copy your config files over the
                > > provided ones, you won't have to worry about your changes getting
                > > reverted.
                >
                > Woa, wait, so even if I choose "No configuration" in the GUI, my
                > config may be overwritten?
                >
                > If I have to choose "Internet site" in order to be able to put my own
                > config files in place (and not have them overwritten), that's fine.
                > But my question is how I can do that unattended?

                I believe you can do this using preseeding. Preseeding is discussed in the
                context of a new system installation here:
                http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed

                Scott K
              • Glenn Park
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012