how to use 'user address' in virtual alias table with virtual domains

  • LEVAI Daniel
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
      Hi!

      I have a few virtual domains listed in $virtual_mailbox_domains, and I
      have some aliases defined in $virtual_alias_maps to map a few username
      variations under a few virtual domains to a single specific virtual
      domain (like leva@... -> leva@...,
      leva@... -> leva@... or
      leva1@... -> leva@... etc...).

      Now I had the idea to simplify the $virtual_alias_maps table, and not
      specify common usernames (like abuse, postmaster etc...) for every
      single virtual domain separately, but specify only the usernames and map
      them to the receiving real username. I've read in virtual(5) that the
      'user address, address' mapping works only when the recipient domain
      is in $myorigin or $mydestination, but I had my hands slapped instantly
      by the same man page by telling me not to specify virtual domains in
      $mydestination.

      If I can't get away adding my virtual domains to $mydestination, how can
      I utilize the nice 'user address' feature in the $virtual_alias_maps?

      Thanks,
      Daniel

      --
      LÉVAI Dániel
      PGP key ID = 0x83B63A8F
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
        LEVAI Daniel:
        > Now I had the idea to simplify the $virtual_alias_maps table, and not
        > specify common usernames (like abuse, postmaster etc...) for every
        > single virtual domain separately, but specify only the usernames and map

        Are you perhaps creating every domain by hand? Let the computer do
        the work for you! Let the computer add the postmaster, abuse, etc.
        entries at domain creation time. As an extra benefit there will be
        fewer mistakes due to mis-typing postmaster, abuse, etc.

        Wietse
      • LEVAI Daniel
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
          On cs, nov 22, 2012 at 08:57:46 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > LEVAI Daniel:
          > > Now I had the idea to simplify the $virtual_alias_maps table, and not
          > > specify common usernames (like abuse, postmaster etc...) for every
          > > single virtual domain separately, but specify only the usernames and map
          >
          > Are you perhaps creating every domain by hand? Let the computer do
          > the work for you! Let the computer add the postmaster, abuse, etc.
          > entries at domain creation time. As an extra benefit there will be
          > fewer mistakes due to mis-typing postmaster, abuse, etc.

          Naah :) A script adds these to the table, I just thought that I'll
          reduce this somewhat-redundancy and define some catch-alls, that's all
          :)

          But I'll stay on track with this, then.

          Thanks,
          Daniel

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
            LEVAI Daniel:
            > On cs, nov 22, 2012 at 08:57:46 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > LEVAI Daniel:
            > > > Now I had the idea to simplify the $virtual_alias_maps table, and not
            > > > specify common usernames (like abuse, postmaster etc...) for every
            > > > single virtual domain separately, but specify only the usernames and map
            > >
            > > Are you perhaps creating every domain by hand? Let the computer do
            > > the work for you! Let the computer add the postmaster, abuse, etc.
            > > entries at domain creation time. As an extra benefit there will be
            > > fewer mistakes due to mis-typing postmaster, abuse, etc.
            >
            > Naah :) A script adds these to the table, I just thought that I'll
            > reduce this somewhat-redundancy and define some catch-alls, that's all
            > :)
            >
            > But I'll stay on track with this, then.

            Indeed. Postfix does not have postmaster@$=virtual_mailbox_domains
            (as Sendmail has) that automagically searches the specified domain
            list.