SASL authentication failure: GSSAPI Error

  • Per olof Ljungmark
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2012
      Hi,

      Got this error after changing the sasl_password in sasl_passwd. This is
      on a host that relays all mail to one destination as specified in
      "relayhost =". Nothing else was changed.

      Same thing happened now on four different boxes and the only item
      changed on all of them was the password in sasl_passwd.

      Before changing the password everything worked fine.

      Relevant lines in main.cf

      smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/ssl/sasl_passwd
      smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes

      error is:

      postfix/smtp[49073]: warning: SASL authentication failure: GSSAPI Error:
      Miscellaneous failure (see text) (open(/tmp/krb5cc_125): No such file
      or directory)
      status=deferred (SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to
      server [relayhost]: generic failure)

      and what is "/tmp/krb5cc_125" ? We do not use Kerberos anywhere.

      The receiving end uses a ldap lookup to verify the user/password but it
      does not seem to get that far, the TLS session is set up and then
      immideately disconnects.

      Hints anyone?

      Thanks!

      --
      BSDLabs AB
      Registered in Solna, Sweden
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2012
        Per olof Ljungmark:
        > postfix/smtp[49073]: warning: SASL authentication failure: GSSAPI Error:
        > Miscellaneous failure (see text) (open(/tmp/krb5cc_125): No such file
        > or directory)

        Postfix is the messenger that reports bad news from the SASL library.

        The name /tmp/krb5cc* is normally used to store a Kerberos ticket.
        Apparently, there is no such file.

        This is not really a Postfix error, but something that can happen
        with any Kerberos-based application.

        Wietse
      • Per olof Ljungmark
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2012
          On 11/21/12 23:44, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Per olof Ljungmark:
          >> postfix/smtp[49073]: warning: SASL authentication failure: GSSAPI Error:
          >> Miscellaneous failure (see text) (open(/tmp/krb5cc_125): No such file
          >> or directory)
          >
          > Postfix is the messenger that reports bad news from the SASL library.
          >
          > The name /tmp/krb5cc* is normally used to store a Kerberos ticket.
          > Apparently, there is no such file.
          >
          > This is not really a Postfix error, but something that can happen
          > with any Kerberos-based application.

          Yes, and cyrus is a mess.

          Funny how just a change of password can tilt a working install. Anyway,
          problem solved, I had to add more sasl related options to main.cf.

          In the receiving end

          was
          smtpd_sasl_security_options =

          and for the smtp client

          smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain, login

          was

          smtp_sasl_security_options =

          --
          BSDLabs AB