reporting

  • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
      Please help your experience advice is required.
      my management is interested to see some reports from postfix logs,
      is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
      is the "sender" who is the "receiver" what was the mail "subject", if
      there is any "attachment" then what was the size and what was the
      "file name".

      Thanks
    • Robert Schetterer
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
        Am 21.11.2012 15:51, schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
        > Please help your experience advice is required.
        > my management is interested to see some reports from postfix logs,
        > is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
        > is the "sender" who is the "receiver"

        pflogsumm or logwatch etc are your friends

        what was the mail "subject", if
        > there is any "attachment" then what was the size and what was the
        > "file name".

        this is not really logged from postfix
        you may use some filter with your lmtp etc

        > Thanks

        Best Regards
        MfG Robert Schetterer

        --
        [*] sys4 AG

        http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
        Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
          Robert Schetterer:
          > Am 21.11.2012 15:51, schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
          > > Please help your experience advice is required.
          > > my management is interested to see some reports from postfix logs,
          > > is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
          > > is the "sender" who is the "receiver"
          >
          > pflogsumm or logwatch etc are your friends
          >
          > what was the mail "subject", if
          > > there is any "attachment" then what was the size and what was the
          > > "file name".
          >
          > this is not really logged from postfix
          > you may use some filter with your lmtp etc

          Postfix has built-in "WARN" actions in header_checks that can log
          message subjects and attachment names, but there is no built-in
          support to log details such as attachment sizes.

          As a matter of principle, detailed content management is not built
          into Postfix. With Postfix, such things should be done with an
          external content filter or proxy.

          Wietse
        • Ralf Hildebrandt
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
            * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:

            > is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
            > is the "sender" who is the "receiver" what was the mail "subject", if

            You can log this using

            header_checks with:
            /^Subject:/ WARN

            and mime_header_checks with:
            /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
              [cut]

              > Postfix has built-in "WARN" actions in header_checks that can log
              > message subjects and attachment names, but there is no built-in
              > support to log details such as attachment sizes.

              if not built-in then any workaround would you like to suggest.

              [cut]
            • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt <r@...> wrote:
                > * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:
                >
                >> is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
                >> is the "sender" who is the "receiver" what was the mail "subject", if
                >
                > You can log this using
                >
                > header_checks with:
                > /^Subject:/ WARN
                >
                > and mime_header_checks with:
                > /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2

                Thanks for the help. but any suggestion for the attachment size.

                > --
                > [*] sys4 AG

              • Ralf Hildebrandt
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                  * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:

                  > > and mime_header_checks with:
                  > > /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2
                  >
                  > Thanks for the help. but any suggestion for the attachment size.

                  Not possible with postfix alone. If you put Amavis in the loop, you
                  get to see the attachment names & sizes at loglevel 2

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                    On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt <r@...> wrote:
                    > * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:
                    >
                    >> > and mime_header_checks with:
                    >> > /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for the help. but any suggestion for the attachment size.
                    >
                    > Not possible with postfix alone. If you put Amavis in the loop, you
                    > get to see the attachment names & sizes at loglevel 2

                    Thanks, i am already planning to integrate Amavis with postfix after
                    some basic tests

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                      Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
                      > [cut]
                      >
                      > > Postfix has built-in "WARN" actions in header_checks that can log
                      > > message subjects and attachment names, but there is no built-in
                      > > support to log details such as attachment sizes.
                      >
                      > if not built-in then any workaround would you like to suggest.

                      That was the next paragraph, which you deleted:

                      As a matter of principle, detailed content management is not built
                      into Postfix. With Postfix, such things should be done with an
                      external content filter or proxy.

                      If you are asking for cut-and-paste configuration details, then
                      I have to disappoint you.