Re: Postfix problems after year of flawless functioning

  • Scott Kitterman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2012
      On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:07:20 PM Jumping Mouse wrote:
      > Hello all my postfix smpt server started acting strangely after a year of
      > flawless functioning.
      >
      > I am getting these messages in my mailqueue:
      >
      > host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 From MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025) during
      > fwd-connect (Negative greeting: at (eval 87) line 442, <GEN30> line 6215.):
      > id=12736-02-2 (in reply to end of DATA command)
      >
      > I am using amavis for email filtering as well as postgrey
      >
      > Postfix version 2.5.1 Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS
      >

      > also when I try to start postfix /etc/init.d/postfix start I get:
      >

      > * Stopping Postfix Mail Transport Agent postfix postfix/postfix-script:
      > fatal: usage: postfix start (or stop, reload, abort, flush, check,
      > set-permissions, upgrade-configuration) [fail]
      >

      > But I can start postfix through the postfix webmin module.
      >

      > I have tried removing and reinstalling postfix, amavis and postgrey with no
      > luck.
      >
      > I have made no changes to configurations. Just run normal updates.
      >
      > I searched the internet for a solution but no luck. does anybody have an
      > idea about what could be the issue?

      Webmin ships it's own postfix configuration files and expects those to be used
      instead of the ones shipped with postfix. I have seen it before that webmin
      not only didn't use the shipped config files, but it also clobbered them.

      I would try to purge postfix (sudo apt-get purge postfix) and then reinstall it.
      That will cause dpkg to no longer track that config files have been removed by
      an agent outside the packaging system and reinstall them.

      Scott K