C/C++ based Content filter API

  • Sharma, Ashish
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hi,

      I am implementing a customized enterprise solution where I need to receive an email , pull out the contents from the email and initiate some enterprise operations based on the received content of the email.

      I am using Postfix as mail receiving server and, for mail parsing I am planning to use Gmime (http://spruce.sourceforge.net/gmime/),

      The real problem here I am facing is that I am unable to find a good C/C++ based Content filter api, as one is provided in java like 'subethasmtp' (http://code.google.com/p/subethasmtp/).

      Can someone suggest one please?

      Thanks in advance!!!

      Ashish
    • Sharma, Ashish
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
        Hi,

        Any comments on the following posted queries.

        Thanks in advance
        Ashish

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
          On Nov 21, 2012, at 15:10, Sharma, Ashish wrote:

          > Any comments on the following posted queries.

          I suggest you read the documentation available, such as;

          http://www.postfix.org/CONTENT_INSPECTION_README.html
          http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html
          http://www.postfix.org/pipe.8.html

          Cya,
          Jona

          --

        • Sharma, Ashish
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012

            Tony,

            Though your advice makes sense but I am more interested in the direct approach of a server side smtp Content filter, reason being that bcc mailbox is not allowed on the target server where solution will be deployed.

            Thanks

            Ashish

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
              Jona,

              The suggested solution is too specific to postfix, in my solution I might use SMTP aware content filter like amavisd-new prior to feeding mail to my own custom content filter, so pipe is not suitable in my case.

              I am looking for a SMTP aware content filter api in C/C++ just like 'subethasmtp' (http://code.google.com/p/subethasmtp/) for Java.

              Thanks
              Ashish

              On Nov 21, 2012, at 15:10, Sharma, Ashish wrote:

              > Any comments on the following posted queries.

              I suggest you read the documentation available, such as;

              http://www.postfix.org/CONTENT_INSPECTION_README.html
              http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html
              http://www.postfix.org/pipe.8.html

              Cya,
              Jona

              --

            • DTNX Postmaster
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
                On Nov 23, 2012, at 08:58, Sharma, Ashish wrote:

                > Jona,
                >
                > The suggested solution is too specific to postfix, in my solution I might use SMTP aware content filter like amavisd-new prior to feeding mail to my own custom content filter, so pipe is not suitable in my case.
                >
                > I am looking for a SMTP aware content filter api in C/C++ just like 'subethasmtp' (http://code.google.com/p/subethasmtp/) for Java.

                I think you either did not read/understand the documentation, are
                asking on the wrong list, or both. Postfix supports several ways to
                chain together components, and build custom mail workflows. Passing
                mail to amavisd-new before redirecting it to a pipe is not a problem,
                for example, and that's just one of the options available.

                If your Google search for C/C++ libraries did not yield any usable
                results, and the use of Python, Perl, Java or what have you is not an
                option, then you'll either have to write something from scratch, or
                redefine your problem.

                Cya,
                Jona

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
                  Sharma, Ashish:
                  > Jona,
                  >
                  > The suggested solution is too specific to postfix, in my solution
                  > I might use SMTP aware content filter like amavisd-new prior to
                  > feeding mail to my own custom content filter, so pipe is not
                  > suitable in my case.

                  CONTENT_INSPECTION_README introduces two SMTP-based filter solutions.

                  > I am looking for a SMTP aware content filter api in C/C++ just
                  > like 'subethasmtp' (http://code.google.com/p/subethasmtp/) for
                  > Java.

                  Amavisd-new is widely used with Postfix and already does all the
                  MIME parsing that you need.