cache MX record

  • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
      due to some reason my primary DNS (windows 2003) is not giving me an
      MX record. even i have created one manually for my mailserver and
      afterwords it points to "A" record of my mailserver i think there is
      some thing going in side my DNS below is the result of nslookup with
      type=MX

      primary name server = sr-dc.mydomain.com
      responsible mail addr = hostmaster
      serial = 2286
      refresh = 900 (15 mins)
      retry = 600 (10 mins)
      expire = 86400 (1 day)
      default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

      so instead of messing up with 2003 DNS is there anyway to make a cache
      record just like we have /etc/hosts for "A" records.

      Thanks.
    • Jeroen Geilman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
        On 11/19/2012 12:51 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
        > due to some reason my primary DNS (windows 2003) is not giving me an
        > MX record.

        That would be correct. No DNS server would "give" you an MX record of
        its own accord.

        > even i have created one manually for my mailserver and
        > afterwords it points to "A" record of my mailserver

        That's normally the way of it.

        > i think there is
        > some thing going in side my DNS below is the result of nslookup

        Please don't use nslookup for DNS troubleshooting; it has serious
        issues. Use either dig or host.

        > with
        > type=MX
        >
        > primary name server = sr-dc.mydomain.com
        > responsible mail addr = hostmaster
        > serial = 2286
        > refresh = 900 (15 mins)
        > retry = 600 (10 mins)
        > expire = 86400 (1 day)
        > default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

        No, that's the SOA.
        I suggest you consult the Microsoft documentation for help with their
        implementation of DNS.

        > so instead of messing up with 2003 DNS is there anyway to make a cache
        > record just like we have /etc/hosts for "A" records.

        No, that is not possible. However, it doesn't say anywhere that an MX
        record is mandatory, or required.

        Please see the list welcome message about how to effectively ask for help:

        J.
      • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
          thanks for your guidance issue resolved....