Recipient address rejected: gmail.com;

  • Thufir
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
      For now, it's good that anything not of my "fantasy" FQDN:

      http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html#fantasy

      of dur.bounceme.net which no-ip.com provides free as a host gets mailed out.

      Definitely, I don't want to inadvertently spam the internet (even just
      my own account). However, if I did want postfix to send out these
      messages, which originate with mailman, it's the mydestination value
      which restricts sending mail out?

      thufir@dur:~$
      thufir@dur:~$ tail -n 3 /var/log/mail.log
      Nov 19 01:30:02 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
      Nov 19 01:30:04 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
      localhost[127.0.0.1]: 550 5.1.1 <HAWAT.THUFIR@...>: Recipient
      address rejected: gmail.com; from=<alpha-bounces@...>
      to=<HAWAT.THUFIR@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<dur.bounceme.net>
      Nov 19 01:30:04 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: disconnect from
      localhost[127.0.0.1]
      thufir@dur:~$
      thufir@dur:~$ cat /etc/postfix/main.cf | grep mydest
      mydestination = dur.bounceme.net, localhost.bounceme.net, localhost
      thufir@dur:~$

      thanks,

      Thufir
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
        On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 01:42:22AM -0800, Thufir wrote:
        > For now, it's good that anything not of my "fantasy" FQDN:
        >
        > http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html#fantasy
        >
        > of dur.bounceme.net which no-ip.com provides free as a host gets
        > mailed out.
        >
        > Definitely, I don't want to inadvertently spam the internet (even
        > just my own account). However, if I did want postfix to send out
        > these messages, which originate with mailman, it's the
        > mydestination value which restricts sending mail out?

        Only insofar as mydestination decides what domains to deliver
        locally.

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#mydestination
        http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#mydestination

        > thufir@dur:~$
        > thufir@dur:~$ tail -n 3 /var/log/mail.log
        > Nov 19 01:30:02 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
        > Nov 19 01:30:04 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
        > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 550 5.1.1 <HAWAT.THUFIR@...>: Recipient
        > address rejected: gmail.com; from=<alpha-bounces@...>
        > to=<HAWAT.THUFIR@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<dur.bounceme.net>
        > Nov 19 01:30:04 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: disconnect from
        > localhost[127.0.0.1]
        > thufir@dur:~$
        > thufir@dur:~$ cat /etc/postfix/main.cf | grep mydest
        > mydestination = dur.bounceme.net, localhost.bounceme.net, localhost

        UUOC. Better than grep, however, is postconf(1):

        /usr/sbin/postconf mydestination

        However, that still does not provide enough information to solve the
        problem you're having. I am sure that your Postfix is doing exactly
        what you have configured it to do. But you did not tell us how you
        configured it.

        Look for a check_recipient_access lookup before posting again. If
        unable to solve it with that hint, again, see the list posting
        guidelines:

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2012
          Thufir:
          > For now, it's good that anything not of my "fantasy" FQDN:
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html#fantasy
          >
          > of dur.bounceme.net which no-ip.com provides free as a host gets mailed out.
          >
          > Definitely, I don't want to inadvertently spam the internet (even just
          > my own account). However, if I did want postfix to send out these
          > messages, which originate with mailman, it's the mydestination value
          > which restricts sending mail out?
          >

          > thufir@dur:~$
          > thufir@dur:~$ tail -n 3 /var/log/mail.log
          > Nov 19 01:30:02 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
          > Nov 19 01:30:04 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
          > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 550 5.1.1 <HAWAT.THUFIR@...>: Recipient
          > address rejected: gmail.com; from=<alpha-bounces@...>
          > to=<HAWAT.THUFIR@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<dur.bounceme.net>
          > Nov 19 01:30:04 dur postfix/smtpd[13683]: disconnect from
          > localhost[127.0.0.1]
          > thufir@dur:~$
          > thufir@dur:~$ cat /etc/postfix/main.cf | grep mydest
          > mydestination = dur.bounceme.net, localhost.bounceme.net, localhost
          > thufir@dur:~$

          Thank you for using Postfix.