Re: "Simplest" approach to full-adress aliases?

  • Ansgar Wiechers
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
      On 2012-11-17 Jan Johansson wrote:
      > Having mostly used Exim I am trying to sort out a few things with a
      > postfix (2.8.5-2~build0.11.04 on Ubuntu) install.
      >
      > Basically, I want a forwarding mechanism that can map
      > userX@...<mailto:userX@...> to
      > anotheruser@...<mailto:anotheruser@...>
      > So, whats the easiest way to set this up? Manually handling flat files
      > would be sufficient.

      That's what $virtual_alias_maps [1] is for.

      Add the following line to main.cf:

      Create a file /etc/postfix/virtual with the mappings you need:

      userX@... anotheruser@...

      Run "postmap /etc/postfix/virtual" to create the hash database.

      For further information see the VIRTUAL_README [2].

      [1] http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps
      [2] http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

      Regards
      Ansgar Wiechers
      --
      "All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
      becoming available."
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
        On 11/17/2012 02:22 PM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
        > On 2012-11-17 Jan Johansson wrote:
        >> Having mostly used Exim I am trying to sort out a few things with a
        >> postfix (2.8.5-2~build0.11.04 on Ubuntu) install.
        >>
        >> Basically, I want a forwarding mechanism that can map
        >> userX@...<mailto:userX@...> to
        >> anotheruser@...<mailto:anotheruser@...>
        >> So, whats the easiest way to set this up? Manually handling flat files
        >> would be sufficient.
        > That's what $virtual_alias_maps [1] is for.
        >
        > Add the following line to main.cf:
        >
        > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
        >
        > Create a file /etc/postfix/virtual with the mappings you need:
        >
        > userX@... anotheruser@...
        >
        > Run "postmap /etc/postfix/virtual" to create the hash database.

        NOTE that domainALPHA.com must be in an address class you control:
        relay, local, or virtual_*.

        The presence of the alias alone does not mean mail for the domain is
        accepted.

        --
        J.
      • /dev/rob0
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 17, 2012
          On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 03:24:33PM +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
          > On 11/17/2012 02:22 PM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
          > >On 2012-11-17 Jan Johansson wrote:
          > >>Having mostly used Exim I am trying to sort out a few things with
          > >>a postfix (2.8.5-2~build0.11.04 on Ubuntu) install.
          > >>
          > >>Basically, I want a forwarding mechanism that can map
          > >>userX@...<mailto:userX@...> to
          > >>anotheruser@...<mailto:anotheruser@...>
          > >>So, whats the easiest way to set this up? Manually handling flat
          > >>files would be sufficient.

          > >That's what $virtual_alias_maps [1] is for.
          > >
          > >Add the following line to main.cf:
          > >
          > >virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
          > >
          > >Create a file /etc/postfix/virtual with the mappings you need:
          > >
          > >userX@... anotheruser@...
          > >
          > >Run "postmap /etc/postfix/virtual" to create the hash database.
          >
          > NOTE that domainALPHA.com must be in an address class you control:
          > relay, local, or virtual_*.
          >
          > The presence of the alias alone does not mean mail for the domain
          > is accepted.

          I think you read too much into the question. The OP appeared to
          asking about basic virtual_alias_maps use; nothing was said about
          how/whether to accept the mail. Maybe it's already being accepted
          under permit_mynetworks, or via sendmail(1)?

          > >For further information see the VIRTUAL_README [2].
          > >
          > >[1] http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps
          > >[2] http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
        • Jan Johansson
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
            >That's what $virtual_alias_maps [1] is for.
            >
            >Add the following line to main.cf:
            >
            >virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
            >
            >Create a file /etc/postfix/virtual with the mappings you need:

            That seem simple enough... Looks like I was over complicating the issue. Thanks!
          • Jan Johansson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
              >NOTE that domainALPHA.com must be in an address class you control:
              >relay, local, or virtual_*.
              >
              >The presence of the alias alone does not mean mail for the domain is accepted.

              That I gathered. The box is a MX for the domains in question.
            • Jan Johansson
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
                >I think you read too much into the question. The OP appeared to asking about basic virtual_alias_maps use; nothing was said about how/whether to accept the mail. Maybe it's already being accepted under >permit_mynetworks, or via sendmail(1)?

                Basically the box is set up to relay to other boxes. Everything is handled via relay_domains, relay_recipient_maps and trasnsport_maps.
              • Jeroen Geilman
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
                  On 11/18/2012 08:26 PM, Jan Johansson wrote:
                  >> NOTE that domainALPHA.com must be in an address class you control:
                  >> relay, local, or virtual_*.
                  >>
                  >> The presence of the alias alone does not mean mail for the domain is accepted.
                  > That I gathered. The box is a MX for the domains in question.

                  That has nothing to do with how postfix percieves the domain.

                  --
                  J.
                • Jan Johansson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 18, 2012
                    >That has nothing to do with how postfix percieves the domain.

                    Understood. As i stated in another reply, the box perceives them all as relay_domains.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 19, 2012
                      Le 17/11/2012 15:24, Jeroen Geilman a écrit :
                      >[snip]
                      >
                      > NOTE that domainALPHA.com must be in an address class you control:
                      > relay, local, or virtual_*.

                      No. virtual_alias_maps apply to all mail that goes through your postfix,
                      whatever the domain class is.

                      > The presence of the alias alone does not mean mail for the domain is
                      > accepted.

                      and mail may be accepted even if the domain is not in "an address class
                      you control...". the obvious example is submitted mail. a less obvious
                      one is a domain not declared in relayd_omains, but accepted via a
                      check_recipient_address (yeah, that's ugly, but still possible).

                      in short, the three things:

                      - mail rewrite
                      - mail address classes
                      - mail acceptance