Re: upgrade behavior when smtpd_relay_restrictions is explicitly empty in main.cf

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
      Viktor Dukhovni:
      > In any case, I think that the conf/main.cf and conf/master.cf should
      > be current (as they've been in most releases IIRC) and should not
      > require install-time tweaks.

      I don't want post-install to run over both the installed main.cf
      and the "source" main.cf file because it would never remove shims
      that are no longer needed. Th ewhole point of the shims is that
      they are temporary.

      Wietse
    • Stan Hoeppner
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
        On 11/2/2012 2:13 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

        > ... or gets
        > installed as part of some over-zealous package dependency management
        > (can you say Debian? It has its pluses of course, ...)

        I've been using Postfix on Debian for about 7 years now and never had
        such an apt/aptitude dependency issue WRT Postfix, that I can recall.
        Though I have run into the issue you describe with other packages.

        --
        Stan
      • Eray Aslan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
          On 11/2/12 9:13 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
          > So while the issue is not a high priority, I think that it makes
          > sense to ship a default master.cf that requires no tweaks, and a
          > main.cf that likewise requires no tweaks.

          FWIW, that would make my life easier as well. I also agree that it is
          not a high priority issue.

          --
          Eray Aslan <eras@...>
        • Sahil Tandon
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 3, 2012
            On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 19:13:04 +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

            > On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 08:18:09AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
            >
            > > Sahil Tandon:
            > > > Some background: upon deinstall, unaltered files installed by a FreeBSD
            > > > package are supposed to be deleted. In the context of Postfix
            > >
            > > Come on, sites that don't edit main.cf are so rare
            > > that this is not something that I would worry about.
            > > Don't ask me to pre-patch the stock main/master.cf
            > > files. That is too hard to maintain (how do I know
            > > that it is still correct? I never use those files).

            That's fair and understood, Wietse. I did not mean to imply that you
            should implement an upstream workaround to address this ports issue;
            sorry if it came across that way. I was just seeking advice from those
            who may be addressing similar (admittedly "edge case") constraints.

            > So while the issue is not a high priority, I think that it makes
            > sense to ship a default master.cf that requires no tweaks, and a
            > main.cf that likewise requires no tweaks.
            >
            > I don't recall to what extent this is up to the package installer.
            > Should the installer first check whether this is a "first install"
            > of Postfix, and then run only "postfix set-permissions" without
            > "postfix upgrade-configuration"?

            That seems reasonable. Although, if we take this approach, until the
            smtpd_relay_restrictions tweak is phased out, it would mean first-time
            users who perform a fresh install would notice no mention of this
            parameter in their main.cf and become accustomed to default behavior.
            Then, when upgrading on a later date, the shim (if it's still active)
            would insert the safety net into the configuration. Perhaps this is not
            a big deal, and it should not surprise users who dutifully read
            RELEASE_NOTES before using/upgrading software, but not everyone does
            that.

            Anyway, I think I have enough to proceed; sorry for going off-topic and
            thanks for the feedback.

            --
            Sahil Tandon