OT: Want help on customizing postfix

  • kartik nanjund
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2012
      Can anyone who is interested in patching source code please contact me offlist

      We need to make small changes in maillog formats for compliance requirements of a client

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2012
        On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 11:44:45AM +0530, kartik nanjund wrote:

        > Can anyone who is interested in patching source code please contact me
        > offlist
        >
        > We need to make small changes in maillog formats for compliance
        > requirements of a client

        I would suggest that this approach is misguided. The essential
        details of each mail delivery are already recorded in the existing
        logs. You just need a robustly engineered custom log parser that
        can re-assemble all the details of a transaction from the multiple
        log entries that pertain to it. I've written tools along these
        lines in the past, they're relatively short Perl scripts (for
        example).

        Giving the customer a non-standard version of Postfix to maintain
        is IMHO a disservice.

        If you must log non-envelope details, do so via SMTP content filters.
        One filter I wrote would record the MIME "skeleton" (all headers,
        MIME headers and nested headers, recursively) of each message, to
        a more useful repository than the system log.

        Another filter was a complete message archive encapsulator, ...

        None of these changed Postfix. All were add-on tools.