Re: Disable check sender address syntax

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
      Am 01.11.2012 16:48, schrieb Michal Kurka:
      > Dne 1.11.2012 v 16:18 Benny Pedersen napsal(a):
      >
      >> Michal Kurka skrev den 01-11-2012 16:05:
      >>> Hello.
      >>> I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
      >>> Postfix reject these mails:
      >>>
      >>> MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
      >>> 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
      >>
      >> add [] around hostname
      >>
      >> sillyexample@[127.0.0.1]
      >
      > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
      > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>

      why not?
      are you not the admin of this client?

      if so then tell the admin if he wants to send mail
      to you he has to play with your rules and not with his
    • Benny Pedersen
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
        Michal Kurka skrev den 01-11-2012 16:48:

        > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this
        > ugly
        > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>

        and telnet 168.1.150 25 works ?

        have you invented ipv3 for mobilephones ? :)

        it should be possible to make it contain valid sender address
      • Claus Assmann
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
          >address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>

          Which also has a command syntax error: space after colon is invalid.
          This is explicitly listed in RFC 5321, pg.20:

          Since it has been a common source of errors, it is worth noting that
          spaces are not permitted on either side of the colon following FROM
          in the MAIL command or TO in the RCPT command. The syntax is exactly
          as given above.

          You might want to contact the author of that garbage...
        • Michal Kurka
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
            Dne 1.11.2012 v 15:56 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):

            > > I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
            > > Postfix reject these mails:
            > >
            > > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
            > > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
            >
            > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_command_filter

            Yes, nice solution, thanks for a link!

            But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
            isn't possible?

            Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:01 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

            > >> add [] around hostname
            > >>
            > >> sillyexample@[127.0.0.1]
            > >
            > > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
            > > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
            >
            > why not? are you not the admin of this client?

            Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.

            Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:32 Benny Pedersen napsal(a):

            > > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
            > > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
            >
            > and telnet 168.1.150 25 works ?
            > have you invented ipv3 for mobilephones ? :)

            Yes, author of mail client had a sense of humor :-)

            > it should be possible to make it contain valid sender address

            Yes, should be. But it isn't :-(

            --
            Michal Kurka - Mysak
            sluzby spojene s operacnim systemem Linux
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
              On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 05:44:33PM +0100, Michal Kurka wrote:

              > > > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
              > > > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
              > >
              > > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_command_filter
              >
              > Yes, nice solution, thanks for a link!
              >
              > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
              > isn't possible?

              Upgrades are always *possible*. You just need to be sufficiently
              motivated. Which is more pain, rejecting the mail, or doing the
              upgrade?

              Another option is to point the mail at a different server, which
              is upgraded, or at a proxy that performs the same sender "address"
              (what the application sends is not an address) transformation.

            • Reindl Harald
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                Am 01.11.2012 17:44, schrieb Michal Kurka:
                > Dne 1.11.2012 v 15:56 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):
                >>> I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
                >>> Postfix reject these mails:
                >>>
                >>> MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                >>> 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
                >>
                >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_command_filter
                >
                > Yes, nice solution, thanks for a link!
                >
                > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                > isn't possible?

                why should a upgrade not be possible?

                postfix is damned stable from the view of compatibility
                builing a postfix package with the tools of your
                distribution should be easy, i am doing this since
                i started with mailservers some years ago because
                the fedora packages are missing mysql support or
                at least missed it years ago

                postfix-2.8.10-1.fc15: newest official package for F15
                postfix-2.8.12-1.fc16: newest official package for F16

                update history of this year:
                Feb 01 20:41:03 Updated: 2:postfix-2.8.8-2.fc15.20120201.rh.x86_64
                Feb 05 02:53:32 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.0-2.fc15.20120205.rh.x86_64
                Feb 12 19:57:33 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.0-2.fc15.20120212.rh.x86_64
                Feb 22 20:10:20 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.1-2.fc15.20120222.rh.x86_64
                Mar 27 01:08:16 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.1-3.fc16.20120325.rh.x86_64
                Apr 25 22:27:31 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.2-3.fc16.20120425.rh.x86_64
                May 22 12:38:08 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.3-3.fc16.20120522.rh.x86_64
                Aug 03 12:18:02 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.4-3.fc16.20120803.rh.x86_64
                Oct 17 21:48:11 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.4-3.fc17.20121016.rh.x86_64

                >>> Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
                >>> address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                >>
                >> why not? are you not the admin of this client?
                >
                > Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.

                make a bug-report at the company who is responsible
                for this useless crap with silly defaults and lack
                of configuration

                >> and telnet 168.1.150 25 works ?
                >> have you invented ipv3 for mobilephones ? :)
                >
                > Yes, author of mail client had a sense of humor :-)

                the author does not have humor - he is missing any qualification
                to write a mail-client and finally even take money for his crap
              • Michal Kurka
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                  Dne 1.11.2012 v 09:37 Claus Assmann napsal(a):

                  > >address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                  >
                  > Which also has a command syntax error: space after colon is invalid.

                  Yes. Fortunately Postfix this tolerates.

                  Dne 1.11.2012 v 16:48 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):

                  > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                  > > isn't possible?
                  >
                  > Upgrades are always *possible*. You just need to be sufficiently
                  > motivated. Which is more pain, rejecting the mail, or doing the
                  > upgrade?

                  It's true. But sometimes this stance isn't good.

                  Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:57 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

                  > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                  > > isn't possible?
                  >
                  > why should a upgrade not be possible?

                  If server has older system, then upgrade means either reinstall whole
                  server or compile new version Postfix and hope no earlier glibc needed -
                  both variants expensive for me.

                  > > Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.
                  >
                  > make a bug-report at the company who is responsible
                  > for this useless crap with silly defaults and lack
                  > of configuration

                  Yes, of course bug-report was created before one year. Author of
                  application is too big company and I too small company. Official answer is
                  - with Gmail no problem. I like Postfix more than Gmail ;-)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                    On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:06:04PM +0100, Michal Kurka wrote:

                    > Dne 1.11.2012 v 16:48 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):
                    >
                    > > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                    > > > isn't possible?
                    > >
                    > > Upgrades are always *possible*. You just need to be sufficiently
                    > > motivated. Which is more pain, rejecting the mail, or doing the
                    > > upgrade?
                    >
                    > It's true. But sometimes this stance isn't good.

                    Not the case with Postfix. Postfix still compiles on very old
                    operating systems, until recently (and perhaps still) these included
                    SunOS 4.1.3 which was last released 20 years ago.

                    > > why should a upgrade not be possible?
                    >
                    > If server has older system, then upgrade means either reinstall whole
                    > server or compile new version Postfix and hope no earlier glibc needed -
                    > both variants expensive for me.

                    Postfix will work on your relatively young system, it is probably less
                    than a decade old.

                  • /dev/rob0
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                      On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:06:04PM +0100, Michal Kurka wrote:
                      > Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:57 Reindl Harald napsal(a):
                      >
                      > > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if
                      > > > upgrade isn't possible?
                      > >
                      > > why should a upgrade not be possible?
                      >
                      > If server has older system, then upgrade means either reinstall
                      > whole server or compile new version Postfix and hope no earlier
                      > glibc needed - both variants expensive for me.

                      FWIW, I have been running snapshots up to and including 2.10 on a
                      Slackware 10.0 host. That's old. Only thing close to a problem I
                      remember was something about the ancient openssl, but it wasn't a
                      major problem, which is why I can't remember the fix. :)

                      > > > Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.
                      > >
                      > > make a bug-report at the company who is responsible
                      > > for this useless crap with silly defaults and lack
                      > > of configuration
                      >
                      > Yes, of course bug-report was created before one year. Author of
                      > application is too big company and I too small company. Official
                      > answer is - with Gmail no problem. I like Postfix more than Gmail
                      > ;-)

                      Perhaps, but you can't always expect Postfix to fix other bad
                      programming.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                        Michal Kurka:
                        > Hello.
                        > I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
                        > Postfix reject these mails:
                        >
                        > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                        > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
                        >
                        > I used "sender_canonical_maps" with record
                        > @168.1.150 user@...
                        > but this isn't enough.
                        >
                        > (In old version Postfix (2.1.5) it was enough.)
                        >
                        > How can I solve this now?

                        The SMTP server supports command rewriting with regular expressions.
                        It was created for cases like this (and for testing such cases).

                        smtpd_command_filter (default: empty)
                        A mechanism to transform commands from remote SMTP clients. This is a
                        last-resort tool to work around client commands that break inter-oper-
                        ability with the Postfix SMTP server. Other uses involve fault injec-
                        tion to test Postfix's handling of invalid commands.

                        Specify the name of a "type:table" lookup table. The search string is
                        the SMTP command as received from the remote SMTP client, except that
                        initial whitespace and the trailing <CR><LF> are removed. The result
                        value is executed by the Postfix SMTP server.

                        See also the examples of things that don't need smtpd_command_filter,
                        and of things that do.