Re: Disable check sender address syntax

  • Michal Kurka
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
      Dne 1.11.2012 v 16:18 Benny Pedersen napsal(a):

      > Michal Kurka skrev den 01-11-2012 16:05:
      > > Hello.
      > > I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
      > > Postfix reject these mails:
      > >
      > > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
      > > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
      >
      > add [] around hostname
      >
      > sillyexample@[127.0.0.1]

      Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
      address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>

      --
      Michal Kurka - Mysak
      sluzby spojene s operacnim systemem Linux
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
        On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 04:05:18PM +0100, Michal Kurka wrote:

        > Hello.
        > I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
        > Postfix reject these mails:
        >
        > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
        > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_command_filter

      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
          Am 01.11.2012 16:48, schrieb Michal Kurka:
          > Dne 1.11.2012 v 16:18 Benny Pedersen napsal(a):
          >
          >> Michal Kurka skrev den 01-11-2012 16:05:
          >>> Hello.
          >>> I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
          >>> Postfix reject these mails:
          >>>
          >>> MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
          >>> 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
          >>
          >> add [] around hostname
          >>
          >> sillyexample@[127.0.0.1]
          >
          > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
          > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>

          why not?
          are you not the admin of this client?

          if so then tell the admin if he wants to send mail
          to you he has to play with your rules and not with his
        • Benny Pedersen
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
            Michal Kurka skrev den 01-11-2012 16:48:

            > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this
            > ugly
            > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>

            and telnet 168.1.150 25 works ?

            have you invented ipv3 for mobilephones ? :)

            it should be possible to make it contain valid sender address
          • Claus Assmann
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
              >address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>

              Which also has a command syntax error: space after colon is invalid.
              This is explicitly listed in RFC 5321, pg.20:

              Since it has been a common source of errors, it is worth noting that
              spaces are not permitted on either side of the colon following FROM
              in the MAIL command or TO in the RCPT command. The syntax is exactly
              as given above.

              You might want to contact the author of that garbage...
            • Michal Kurka
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                Dne 1.11.2012 v 15:56 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):

                > > I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
                > > Postfix reject these mails:
                > >
                > > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                > > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
                >
                > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_command_filter

                Yes, nice solution, thanks for a link!

                But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                isn't possible?

                Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:01 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

                > >> add [] around hostname
                > >>
                > >> sillyexample@[127.0.0.1]
                > >
                > > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
                > > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                >
                > why not? are you not the admin of this client?

                Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.

                Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:32 Benny Pedersen napsal(a):

                > > Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
                > > address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                >
                > and telnet 168.1.150 25 works ?
                > have you invented ipv3 for mobilephones ? :)

                Yes, author of mail client had a sense of humor :-)

                > it should be possible to make it contain valid sender address

                Yes, should be. But it isn't :-(

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                  On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 05:44:33PM +0100, Michal Kurka wrote:

                  > > > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                  > > > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
                  > >
                  > > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_command_filter
                  >
                  > Yes, nice solution, thanks for a link!
                  >
                  > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                  > isn't possible?

                  Upgrades are always *possible*. You just need to be sufficiently
                  motivated. Which is more pain, rejecting the mail, or doing the
                  upgrade?

                  Another option is to point the mail at a different server, which
                  is upgraded, or at a proxy that performs the same sender "address"
                  (what the application sends is not an address) transformation.

                • Reindl Harald
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                    Am 01.11.2012 17:44, schrieb Michal Kurka:
                    > Dne 1.11.2012 v 15:56 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):
                    >>> I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
                    >>> Postfix reject these mails:
                    >>>
                    >>> MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                    >>> 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
                    >>
                    >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_command_filter
                    >
                    > Yes, nice solution, thanks for a link!
                    >
                    > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                    > isn't possible?

                    why should a upgrade not be possible?

                    postfix is damned stable from the view of compatibility
                    builing a postfix package with the tools of your
                    distribution should be easy, i am doing this since
                    i started with mailservers some years ago because
                    the fedora packages are missing mysql support or
                    at least missed it years ago

                    postfix-2.8.10-1.fc15: newest official package for F15
                    postfix-2.8.12-1.fc16: newest official package for F16

                    update history of this year:
                    Feb 01 20:41:03 Updated: 2:postfix-2.8.8-2.fc15.20120201.rh.x86_64
                    Feb 05 02:53:32 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.0-2.fc15.20120205.rh.x86_64
                    Feb 12 19:57:33 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.0-2.fc15.20120212.rh.x86_64
                    Feb 22 20:10:20 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.1-2.fc15.20120222.rh.x86_64
                    Mar 27 01:08:16 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.1-3.fc16.20120325.rh.x86_64
                    Apr 25 22:27:31 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.2-3.fc16.20120425.rh.x86_64
                    May 22 12:38:08 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.3-3.fc16.20120522.rh.x86_64
                    Aug 03 12:18:02 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.4-3.fc16.20120803.rh.x86_64
                    Oct 17 21:48:11 Updated: 2:postfix-2.9.4-3.fc17.20121016.rh.x86_64

                    >>> Unfortunately I cannot set up that mail client which sending this ugly
                    >>> address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                    >>
                    >> why not? are you not the admin of this client?
                    >
                    > Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.

                    make a bug-report at the company who is responsible
                    for this useless crap with silly defaults and lack
                    of configuration

                    >> and telnet 168.1.150 25 works ?
                    >> have you invented ipv3 for mobilephones ? :)
                    >
                    > Yes, author of mail client had a sense of humor :-)

                    the author does not have humor - he is missing any qualification
                    to write a mail-client and finally even take money for his crap
                  • Michal Kurka
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                      Dne 1.11.2012 v 09:37 Claus Assmann napsal(a):

                      > >address. It always send MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                      >
                      > Which also has a command syntax error: space after colon is invalid.

                      Yes. Fortunately Postfix this tolerates.

                      Dne 1.11.2012 v 16:48 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):

                      > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                      > > isn't possible?
                      >
                      > Upgrades are always *possible*. You just need to be sufficiently
                      > motivated. Which is more pain, rejecting the mail, or doing the
                      > upgrade?

                      It's true. But sometimes this stance isn't good.

                      Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:57 Reindl Harald napsal(a):

                      > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                      > > isn't possible?
                      >
                      > why should a upgrade not be possible?

                      If server has older system, then upgrade means either reinstall whole
                      server or compile new version Postfix and hope no earlier glibc needed -
                      both variants expensive for me.

                      > > Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.
                      >
                      > make a bug-report at the company who is responsible
                      > for this useless crap with silly defaults and lack
                      > of configuration

                      Yes, of course bug-report was created before one year. Author of
                      application is too big company and I too small company. Official answer is
                      - with Gmail no problem. I like Postfix more than Gmail ;-)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                        On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:06:04PM +0100, Michal Kurka wrote:

                        > Dne 1.11.2012 v 16:48 Viktor Dukhovni napsal(a):
                        >
                        > > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if upgrade
                        > > > isn't possible?
                        > >
                        > > Upgrades are always *possible*. You just need to be sufficiently
                        > > motivated. Which is more pain, rejecting the mail, or doing the
                        > > upgrade?
                        >
                        > It's true. But sometimes this stance isn't good.

                        Not the case with Postfix. Postfix still compiles on very old
                        operating systems, until recently (and perhaps still) these included
                        SunOS 4.1.3 which was last released 20 years ago.

                        > > why should a upgrade not be possible?
                        >
                        > If server has older system, then upgrade means either reinstall whole
                        > server or compile new version Postfix and hope no earlier glibc needed -
                        > both variants expensive for me.

                        Postfix will work on your relatively young system, it is probably less
                        than a decade old.

                      • /dev/rob0
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                          On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:06:04PM +0100, Michal Kurka wrote:
                          > Dne 1.11.2012 v 17:57 Reindl Harald napsal(a):
                          >
                          > > > But is some solution for Postfix version <2.7 (and >2.1), if
                          > > > upgrade isn't possible?
                          > >
                          > > why should a upgrade not be possible?
                          >
                          > If server has older system, then upgrade means either reinstall
                          > whole server or compile new version Postfix and hope no earlier
                          > glibc needed - both variants expensive for me.

                          FWIW, I have been running snapshots up to and including 2.10 on a
                          Slackware 10.0 host. That's old. Only thing close to a problem I
                          remember was something about the ancient openssl, but it wasn't a
                          major problem, which is why I can't remember the fix. :)

                          > > > Bad mail client is encapsulated in a proprietary application.
                          > >
                          > > make a bug-report at the company who is responsible
                          > > for this useless crap with silly defaults and lack
                          > > of configuration
                          >
                          > Yes, of course bug-report was created before one year. Author of
                          > application is too big company and I too small company. Official
                          > answer is - with Gmail no problem. I like Postfix more than Gmail
                          > ;-)

                          Perhaps, but you can't always expect Postfix to fix other bad
                          programming.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 1, 2012
                            Michal Kurka:
                            > Hello.
                            > I need accept incoming mails with invalid envelope sender address. But
                            > Postfix reject these mails:
                            >
                            > MAIL FROM: <@168.1.150>
                            > 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
                            >
                            > I used "sender_canonical_maps" with record
                            > @168.1.150 user@...
                            > but this isn't enough.
                            >
                            > (In old version Postfix (2.1.5) it was enough.)
                            >
                            > How can I solve this now?

                            The SMTP server supports command rewriting with regular expressions.
                            It was created for cases like this (and for testing such cases).

                            smtpd_command_filter (default: empty)
                            A mechanism to transform commands from remote SMTP clients. This is a
                            last-resort tool to work around client commands that break inter-oper-
                            ability with the Postfix SMTP server. Other uses involve fault injec-
                            tion to test Postfix's handling of invalid commands.

                            Specify the name of a "type:table" lookup table. The search string is
                            the SMTP command as received from the remote SMTP client, except that
                            initial whitespace and the trailing <CR><LF> are removed. The result
                            value is executed by the Postfix SMTP server.

                            See also the examples of things that don't need smtpd_command_filter,
                            and of things that do.