Re: postfix dimensioning

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 11/01/2012 11:49 AM, mancyborg@... wrote:
      > Hi All, first post here, nice to meet you :)
      >
      > I've been using postfix and dovecot for years but always with few users.
      >
      > Now i must build a server for 1500 users,
      > they will use various email software (thunderbird, outlook, ..)
      > the webmail (i'm not sure if squirrelmail or roundcube)
      > and blackberry devices (with the BIS service).
      >
      > There will be around 1000 domains (virtual_domains) and postfix will read its users and domains from mysql.
      >
      > I already have the hardware, it is a server with 4 physical cpu (Intel Xeon E5504 @ 2.00GHz) and 24 gb of ram,
      > do you think it is enough ?

      Usually postfix would not be the bottleneck for any mail server. You
      need to size for dovecot in your case.
      And sizing would be impossible unless you know how many mails / hr or
      concurrent imap / pop connections you are going to get.
      Please size your dovecot server accordingly. The disk i/o will also be
      very important when you size dovecot.

      Thank
      Ram
      PS: 1500 users with 1000 domains means hardly 2 users per domain ..
      Are these right numbers ?
    • Robert Schetterer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
        Am 01.11.2012 09:14, schrieb Ram:

        > On 11/01/2012 11:49 AM, mancyborg@... wrote:
        >> Hi All, first post here, nice to meet you :)
        >>
        >> I've been using postfix and dovecot for years but always with few users.
        >>
        >> Now i must build a server for 1500 users,
        >> they will use various email software (thunderbird, outlook, ..)
        >> the webmail (i'm not sure if squirrelmail or roundcube)
        >> and blackberry devices (with the BIS service).
        >>
        >> There will be around 1000 domains (virtual_domains) and postfix will
        >> read its users and domains from mysql.
        >>
        >> I already have the hardware, it is a server with 4 physical cpu (Intel
        >> Xeon E5504 @ 2.00GHz) and 24 gb of ram,
        >> do you think it is enough ?
        >>
        > Usually postfix would not be the bottleneck for any mail server. You
        > need to size for dovecot in your case.
        > And sizing would be impossible unless you know how many mails / hr or
        > concurrent imap / pop connections you are going to get.
        > Please size your dovecot server accordingly. The disk i/o will also be
        > very important when you size dovecot.
        >
        > Thank
        > Ram
        > PS: 1500 users with 1000 domains means hardly 2 users per domain ..
        > Are these right numbers ?

        Hi, what you need is some idea of tec about backup, failure safety,
        loadbalancing , cluster storage etc specially on the imap/pop side,
        postfix side mostly is the more easy part in such setups
        and not known for needing heavy hardware or producing bottlenecks
        in short words, you have to think about the whole setup you wanna goal
        first,
        not special software like postfix, perhaps you should first look on
        dovecot site and list for examples and hints

        Best Regards
        MfG Robert Schetterer

        --
        [*] sys4 AG

        http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
        Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

      • mancyborg@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
          On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:22:13 +0100
          Robert Schetterer <rs@...> wrote:

          > Am 01.11.2012 09:14, schrieb Ram:
          > >
          > > On 11/01/2012 11:49 AM, mancyborg@... wrote:
          > >> Hi All, first post here, nice to meet you :)
          > >>
          > >> I've been using postfix and dovecot for years but always with few users.
          > >>
          > >> Now i must build a server for 1500 users,
          > >> they will use various email software (thunderbird, outlook, ..)
          > >> the webmail (i'm not sure if squirrelmail or roundcube)
          > >> and blackberry devices (with the BIS service).
          > >>
          > >> There will be around 1000 domains (virtual_domains) and postfix will
          > >> read its users and domains from mysql.
          > >>
          > >> I already have the hardware, it is a server with 4 physical cpu (Intel
          > >> Xeon E5504 @ 2.00GHz) and 24 gb of ram,
          > >> do you think it is enough ?
          > >>
          > > Usually postfix would not be the bottleneck for any mail server. You
          > > need to size for dovecot in your case.
          > > And sizing would be impossible unless you know how many mails / hr or
          > > concurrent imap / pop connections you are going to get.
          > > Please size your dovecot server accordingly. The disk i/o will also be
          > > very important when you size dovecot.
          > >
          > > Thank
          > > Ram
          > > PS: 1500 users with 1000 domains means hardly 2 users per domain ..
          > > Are these right numbers ?
          > >

          > Hi, what you need is some idea of tec about backup, failure safety,
          > loadbalancing , cluster storage etc specially on the imap/pop side,
          > postfix side mostly is the more easy part in such setups
          > and not known for needing heavy hardware or producing bottlenecks
          > in short words, you have to think about the whole setup you wanna goal
          > first,
          > not special software like postfix, perhaps you should first look on
          > dovecot site and list for examples and hints
          >
          > Best Regards
          > MfG Robert Schetterer
          >
          > --
          > [*] sys4 AG
          >
          > http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
          > Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München
          >
          > Sitz der Gesellschaft: München, Amtsgericht München: HRB 199263
          > Vorstand: Patrick Ben Koetter, Axel von der Ohe, Marc Schiffbauer
          > Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Joerg Heidrich

          Hi Ram and Robert thank you very much for your pointers, I'll ask on the dovecot mailing list and do some homework :)

          > PS: 1500 users with 1000 domains means hardly 2 users per domain ..
          > Are these right numbers ?

          yes strange but true, almost each domain has just 1 user.

          Regards and have a nice day,
          Mike