Re: mini-mailbomb service problems

  • Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2012
      --On Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:58 AM -0500 Stan Hoeppner
      <stan@...> wrote:

      >> If all the rejected recipient addresses follow some kind of pattern,
      >> maybe a PCRE lookup can help. We don't know enough about it to
      >> suggest anything more.
      >
      > Actually, we might know enough. The op's primary stated concern is
      > alleviating load/latency on his LDAP servers. Marlboro college,
      > according to the website, only has ~300 students. Add
      > faculty/staff/alumni/etc, and the valid user table shouldn't be all that
      > large. Cron'ing a nightly, twice daily, whatever works best, script to
      > pull addresses from LDAP into a Postfix virtual users table may be a
      > good option here. Query the local table and eliminate LDAP lookups
      > entirely, making lookups instantaneous. The frequency of the table
      > update is determined by how often address changes are made to LDAP, and
      > how quickly mailboxes need to go live according to organizational
      > policy. Of course, the script can be run manually any time as well.

      I'd also examine either tuning the LDAP server, or migrating to a decent
      LDAP server. I was able to run all of Stanford University's LDAP traffic
      through a single properly tuned LDAP server running OpenLDAP without issue,
      which included all email. And that was before the proxy:... bits were
      added to Postfix and before back-MDB was added to OpenLDAP (which is
      significantly faster than the old BDB based backends).

      --Quanah

      --

      Quanah Gibson-Mount
      Sr. Member of Technical Staff