reporting

  • Jack S
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
      Hello All,

      Does anyone know of a reporting tool which allows you to search email
      logs and show the results in a web interface?
      I see that cpanel has a pretty nice one showing success and failure
      along with details of the delivery in a very simple clean interface.

      --
      Thanks!
      Joey
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
        Jack S skrev den 24-09-2012 23:19:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > Does anyone know of a reporting tool which allows you to search email
        > logs and show the results in a web interface?

        ulogd, then make a webpage that uses sql

        or syslogd-ng where it logs direct to sql

        > I see that cpanel has a pretty nice one showing success and failure
        > along with details of the delivery in a very simple clean interface.

        i see many in postfix maillist that are frustratede of no logs at all,
        and clams its a postfix problem that needs fixing, but its there syslog
        conf that drops content to /dev/null

        google "ulogd syslog web sql"
      • Nick Rosier
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 24, 2012
          Jack S wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > Does anyone know of a reporting tool which allows you to search email
          > logs and show the results in a web interface?
          > I see that cpanel has a pretty nice one showing success and failure
          > along with details of the delivery in a very simple clean interface.

          rsyslog (http://www.rsyslog.com) + LogAnalyzer (http://www.adiscon.com)

          N.
        • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
            Please help your experience advice is required.
            my management is interested to see some reports from postfix logs,
            is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
            is the "sender" who is the "receiver" what was the mail "subject", if
            there is any "attachment" then what was the size and what was the
            "file name".

            Thanks
          • Robert Schetterer
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
              Am 21.11.2012 15:51, schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
              > Please help your experience advice is required.
              > my management is interested to see some reports from postfix logs,
              > is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
              > is the "sender" who is the "receiver"

              pflogsumm or logwatch etc are your friends

              what was the mail "subject", if
              > there is any "attachment" then what was the size and what was the
              > "file name".

              this is not really logged from postfix
              you may use some filter with your lmtp etc

              > Thanks

              Best Regards
              MfG Robert Schetterer

              --
              [*] sys4 AG

              http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
              Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                Robert Schetterer:
                > Am 21.11.2012 15:51, schrieb Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
                > > Please help your experience advice is required.
                > > my management is interested to see some reports from postfix logs,
                > > is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
                > > is the "sender" who is the "receiver"
                >
                > pflogsumm or logwatch etc are your friends
                >
                > what was the mail "subject", if
                > > there is any "attachment" then what was the size and what was the
                > > "file name".
                >
                > this is not really logged from postfix
                > you may use some filter with your lmtp etc

                Postfix has built-in "WARN" actions in header_checks that can log
                message subjects and attachment names, but there is no built-in
                support to log details such as attachment sizes.

                As a matter of principle, detailed content management is not built
                into Postfix. With Postfix, such things should be done with an
                external content filter or proxy.

                Wietse
              • Ralf Hildebrandt
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                  * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:

                  > is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
                  > is the "sender" who is the "receiver" what was the mail "subject", if

                  You can log this using

                  header_checks with:
                  /^Subject:/ WARN

                  and mime_header_checks with:
                  /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                    [cut]

                    > Postfix has built-in "WARN" actions in header_checks that can log
                    > message subjects and attachment names, but there is no built-in
                    > support to log details such as attachment sizes.

                    if not built-in then any workaround would you like to suggest.

                    [cut]
                  • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                      On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt <r@...> wrote:
                      > * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:
                      >
                      >> is there any way that i can collect reports in which i can check who
                      >> is the "sender" who is the "receiver" what was the mail "subject", if
                      >
                      > You can log this using
                      >
                      > header_checks with:
                      > /^Subject:/ WARN
                      >
                      > and mime_header_checks with:
                      > /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2

                      Thanks for the help. but any suggestion for the attachment size.

                      > --
                      > [*] sys4 AG

                    • Ralf Hildebrandt
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 21, 2012
                        * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:

                        > > and mime_header_checks with:
                        > > /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2
                        >
                        > Thanks for the help. but any suggestion for the attachment size.

                        Not possible with postfix alone. If you put Amavis in the loop, you
                        get to see the attachment names & sizes at loglevel 2

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                          On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt <r@...> wrote:
                          > * Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@...>:
                          >
                          >> > and mime_header_checks with:
                          >> > /filename=\"(.*)\.(...)\"$/ WARN Attachment $1.$2
                          >>
                          >> Thanks for the help. but any suggestion for the attachment size.
                          >
                          > Not possible with postfix alone. If you put Amavis in the loop, you
                          > get to see the attachment names & sizes at loglevel 2

                          Thanks, i am already planning to integrate Amavis with postfix after
                          some basic tests

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 22, 2012
                            Muhammad Yousuf Khan:
                            > [cut]
                            >
                            > > Postfix has built-in "WARN" actions in header_checks that can log
                            > > message subjects and attachment names, but there is no built-in
                            > > support to log details such as attachment sizes.
                            >
                            > if not built-in then any workaround would you like to suggest.

                            That was the next paragraph, which you deleted:

                            As a matter of principle, detailed content management is not built
                            into Postfix. With Postfix, such things should be done with an
                            external content filter or proxy.

                            If you are asking for cut-and-paste configuration details, then
                            I have to disappoint you.