Re: Bulk Mailing Performance

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 3 4:05 AM
      On 9/3/2012 12:02 AM, DTNX Postmaster wrote:

      > In other words, if 'we strip this back to hypothetical and assume a
      > perfect world without any issues', this 'GreenArrow' maxes out at
      > 300,000 messages per hour. Postfix can send 10,8 million messages per
      > hour, more than 35 times as fast*.

      In all fairness, given your "perfect world" criteria, this ESP would be
      moving a lot more mail as well, with no restrictions on the outbound
      pipe or at the receiver.

      But as others have correctly pointed out, the issue here isn't MTA
      performance, it's administrative performance. The last thread I
      responded to demonstrates this. The big advantage ESPs have is their
      established relationships with the freemailers and other large mailbox
      providers. These allow them greater throughput than the unwashed bulk
      sender, at least into the receiver's initial queue.

      --
      Stan
    • DTNX Postmaster
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3 5:24 AM
        On Sep 3, 2012, at 13:05, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

        > On 9/3/2012 12:02 AM, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
        >
        >> In other words, if 'we strip this back to hypothetical and assume a
        >> perfect world without any issues', this 'GreenArrow' maxes out at
        >> 300,000 messages per hour. Postfix can send 10,8 million messages per
        >> hour, more than 35 times as fast*.
        >
        > In all fairness, given your "perfect world" criteria, this ESP would be
        > moving a lot more mail as well, with no restrictions on the outbound
        > pipe or at the receiver.
        >
        > But as others have correctly pointed out, the issue here isn't MTA
        > performance, it's administrative performance. The last thread I
        > responded to demonstrates this. The big advantage ESPs have is their
        > established relationships with the freemailers and other large mailbox
        > providers. These allow them greater throughput than the unwashed bulk
        > sender, at least into the receiver's initial queue.

        They aren't my perfect world criteria, but a direct quote from Sam
        Jones' earlier buzzword compliant reply.

        It was meant to illustrate the often ridiculous nature of vendor
        benchmarks, how useless they are in real world situations, and
        therefore how silly it is to pick software based on theoretical limits
        you will most likely never hit.

        Not enough sarcasm, I guess ;-)

        Cya,
        Jona
      • Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 3 6:04 AM
          DTNX Postmaster wrote:

          > They aren't my perfect world criteria, but a direct quote from Sam
          > Jones' earlier buzzword compliant reply.
          >
          > It was meant to illustrate the often ridiculous nature of vendor
          > benchmarks, how useless they are in real world situations, and
          > therefore how silly it is to pick software based on theoretical limits
          > you will most likely never hit.

          Not really ridiculous. All those benchmarks are interesting, as they represent,
          say, the "intrinsic performance of the software". The problem is to tell (for
          the vendor) and to take into account (for the reader) the conditions at which
          the benchmark was done.

          But, sure, two pieces of software can be compared only if measurings are done
          with the same conditions. And one software which has better "intrinsic
          performance" may not be better in real world conditions.

          --
        • Sam Jones
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 3 10:36 AM
            On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 22:46 +0200, Lorens Kockum wrote:
            > The exact same question was sent by someone calling himself
            > "Ron White" to the exim mailing list at almost exactly the same
            > time. Peddling one's services by soliciting comparisons with
            > competitors is so passé . . .

            Yes, it was. Well done. The question applied to both MTA's and funny
            enough, the use of Aliases on the internet is nothing new.

            Thanks to those that contributed useful information. I think it's safe
            to say that the sales blurb is looking at a very basic scenario.
          • Daniel L. Miller
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 3 10:28 PM
              On 9/2/2012 11:14 AM, Sam Jones wrote:
              > On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 15:39 +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
              >> On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 10:43:07AM +0100, Sam Jones wrote:
              >>
              >>> More to satisfy my own curiosity than anything else, I'm wondering about
              >>> the performance that could be squeezed out of Postfix in a bulk mailing
              >>> capacity.
              >> Running a high volume bulk email platform is not a software problem.
              >> It is a logistics problem. Enrolling on the whitelists and feedback
              >> loops of various large email providers, handling bounce-backs,
              >> jumping through rate-limit hoops, ...
              [...]
              >> I guess what I'm querying in a way is some of the sales blurb from
              >> people like PowerMTA & GreenArrow and the remarks they make about open
              >> source solutions like Postfix etc. This one in particular: "Open source
              >> Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) often max out between 20 and 30 thousand
              >> messages per hour. GreenArrow can send 300,000 messages per hour—more
              >> than ten times as fast."

              Knowing absolutely nothing about the software mentioned - I would say
              there is a difference between messages SENT vs messages DELIVERED. I
              realize many will immediately correct me and say even Postfix can't
              guarantee delivery to a given recipient - merely acknowledgement of the
              recipient server's acceptance - but I don't know how else to
              discriminate between a single-pass of a message, without retries,
              without verification, without greylist tolerance, without reporting,
              just knock on the door and try to shove it on - vs reliable message
              handling.

              Again, knowing nothing about alternatives to Postfix - I question
              whether software intended for bulk mailing purposes is designed in such
              a manner. As a crude analogy, even the best machine gun doesn't have a
              fraction of the accuracy of a quality sniper rifle - but on the other
              hand a machine gun will put a lot more lead downrange. Different tools
              for different purposes. Spray-and-Pray - or deliver the personal message.

              --
              Daniel
            • fletch
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                The postfix performance claims made via this thread are far-fetched to say
                the least. Most postfix users will only see outbound throughput in the
                range of ~250,000/hour per instance in a production setting. Yet, people on
                here are claiming 10 million/hour? I guess that would be possible if a
                sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                management nightmare of course.

                Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial software
                products v. open source were not substantial.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                  fletch:
                  > The postfix performance claims made via this thread are far-fetched to say
                  > the least. Most postfix users will only see outbound throughput in the
                  > range of ~250,000/hour per instance in a production setting. Yet, people on
                  > here are claiming 10 million/hour? I guess that would be possible if a
                  > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                  > management nightmare of course.
                  >
                  > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                  > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial software
                  > products v. open source were not substantial.

                  Is this a troll?

                  I have documented Postfix performance claims on Wikipedia. Be sure
                  to read the cautionary note about factors outside of Postfix that
                  in practice limit the delivery performance.

                  Wietse
                • Joe
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                    On 06/12/2013 12:17 PM, fletch wrote:
                    > The postfix performance claims made via this thread are far-fetched to say
                    > the least. Most postfix users will only see outbound throughput in the
                    > range of ~250,000/hour per instance in a production setting. Yet, people on
                    > here are claiming 10 million/hour? I guess that would be possible if a
                    > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                    > management nightmare of course.
                    >
                    > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                    > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial software
                    > products v. open source were not substantial.

                    In our experience, postfix can blast out messages at rates which are
                    orders of magnitude faster than the other end is willing to receive it.
                    The "substantial benefits" you speak of are mainly along the lines of
                    easier management tools and integration of same with various other email
                    related components in one convenient interface.

                    Joe
                  • Peer Heinlein
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                      Am 12.06.2013 21:17, schrieb fletch:

                      > here are claiming 10 million/hour? I guess that would be possible if a
                      > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                      > management nightmare of course.

                      You already lost.

                      I did this even 5-6 years ago with 3-4 millionen mails / hour in one
                      postfix instance on one stupid dual-xeon server with 100 MBit uplink.

                      > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                      > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial software
                      > products v. open source were not substantial.

                      They're making sales with people, that believe that people coming from a
                      comercial company are always and automatically better then everbody else.

                      Peer

                      --
                      Heinlein Support GmbH
                      Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin

                      http://www.heinlein-support.de

                      Tel: 030 / 405051-42
                      Fax: 030 / 405051-19

                      Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht
                      Berlin-Charlottenburg,
                    • Robert Schetterer
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                        Am 12.06.2013 21:17, schrieb fletch:
                        > The postfix performance claims made via this thread are far-fetched to say
                        > the least. Most postfix users will only see outbound throughput in the
                        > range of ~250,000/hour per instance in a production setting. Yet, people on
                        > here are claiming 10 million/hour? I guess that would be possible if a
                        > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                        > management nightmare of course.
                        >
                        > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                        > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial software
                        > products v. open source were not substantial.
                        >

                        > --

                        however magic jedi software overpower setup you might use for deliver
                        out, you never will reach the higher powered master level , where you
                        can press all others to take your mails at a number in time periods you
                        might like , so using paid services/software for bulk maybe a good idea
                        by many things, comparing it to some default settings of postfix is
                        simply nonsense and typical marketing bla bla

                        Best Regards
                        MfG Robert Schetterer

                        --
                        [*] sys4 AG

                        http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                        Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

                      • fletch
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                          Peer,

                          There's no way that's a production figure. You may have queued that many,
                          but I seriously doubt you got anything close to 3-4 million/hour when
                          postfix was actually conducting delivery with the remote gateways...

                          On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Peer Heinlein [via Postfix] <
                          ml-node+s1071664n58876h85@...> wrote:

                          > Am 12.06.2013 21:17, schrieb fletch:
                          >
                          > > here are claiming 10 million/hour? I guess that would be possible if a
                          > > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                          > > management nightmare of course.
                          >
                          > You already lost.
                          >
                          > I did this even 5-6 years ago with 3-4 millionen mails / hour in one
                          > postfix instance on one stupid dual-xeon server with 100 MBit uplink.
                          >
                          > > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                          > > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial
                          > software
                          > > products v. open source were not substantial.
                          >
                          > They're making sales with people, that believe that people coming from a
                          > comercial company are always and automatically better then everbody else.
                          >

                          > Peer
                          >

                          > --
                          > Heinlein Support GmbH
                          > Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin
                          >
                          > http://www.heinlein-support.de
                          >
                          > Tel: 030 / 405051-42
                          > Fax: 030 / 405051-19
                          >
                          > Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht
                          > Berlin-Charlottenburg,
                          > Geschäftsführer: Peer Heinlein -- Sitz: Berlin
                          >

                          > ------------------------------
                          > below:
                          >
                          > http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Bulk-Mailing-Performance-tp50222p58876.html
                          > .
                          > NAML<http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

                        • Ben Johnson
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                            On 6/12/2013 4:40 PM, fletch wrote:
                            > Peer,
                            >
                            > There's no way that's a production figure. You may have queued that many,
                            > but I seriously doubt you got anything close to 3-4 million/hour when
                            > postfix was actually conducting delivery with the remote gateways...

                            This point is somewhat moot, quite frankly, because the performance
                            claims as documented on Wikipedia state:

                            Postfix has been clocked at ~300 message deliveries/second[6] across the
                            Internet, running on commodity hardware (a vintage-2003 Dell 1850 system
                            with battery-backed MegaRAID controller and two SCSI disks). This
                            delivery rate is an order of magnitude below the "intrinsic" limit of
                            2500 message deliveries/second[6] that was achieved *with the mail queue
                            on a RAM disk while delivering to the "discard" transport (with a
                            dual-core Opteron system in 2007).*

                            Nobody (besides perhaps Peer) is making any claim with respect to
                            "real-world" performance. The performance claims as documented assume
                            factors only within Postfix and the computer on which it's runnings'
                            control.

                            -Ben
                          • AFCommerce LLC
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                              I know powermta as well as postfix and I think I can add to some of the comments on here, powermta is not cheap by any means and of course postfix is free, however pmta might have some settings out of the box that are optimized for bulk but they can not come close to postfix as far as email standards go, incoming mail, etc (in my opinion) mainly from how many servers are using it, basically postfix, exim and sendmail create the standards that a company like pmta has to try to follow.

                              But the main reason bulk mailers mainly pay for pmta is because it has the ability to send on many ips/hostnames far easier than postfix, since postfix wasn't built (by choice) to send from 100s of ips and domains because that can easily become a tool for a spammer (a spammer could try to modify postfix I assume). The commercial support is a 2nd reason, most of us on this list wouldn't need that type of support, but a legitimate company who doesn't have a decent support staff would be interested in that.

                              On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Robert Schetterer <rs@...> wrote:
                              Am 12.06.2013 21:17, schrieb fletch:
                              > The postfix performance claims made via this thread are far-fetched to say
                              > the least.  Most postfix users will only see outbound throughput in the
                              > range of ~250,000/hour per instance in a production setting.  Yet, people on
                              > here are claiming 10 million/hour?  I guess that would be possible if a
                              > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                              > management nightmare of course.
                              >
                              > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                              > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial software
                              > products v. open source were not substantial.
                              >

                              > --

                              however magic jedi software overpower setup you might use for deliver
                              out, you never will reach the higher powered master level , where you
                              can press all others to take your mails at a number in time periods you
                              might like , so using paid services/software for bulk maybe a good idea
                              by many things, comparing it to some default settings of postfix is
                              simply nonsense and typical marketing bla bla

                              Best Regards
                              MfG Robert Schetterer

                              --
                              [*] sys4 AG

                              http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                              Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

                            • Roel Wagenaar
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                                wietse@... (Wietse Venema) wrote:

                                > fletch:
                                > > The postfix performance claims made via this thread are far-fetched to
                                say
                                > > the least. Most postfix users will only see outbound throughput in the
                                > > range of ~250,000/hour per instance in a production setting. Yet,
                                people on
                                > > here are claiming 10 million/hour? I guess that would be possible if a
                                > > sender were to run, say, 40 postfix instances which would be a complete
                                > > management nightmare of course.
                                > >
                                > > Obviously, vendors like Port25 (company behind PowerMTA) and GreenArrow
                                > > would not be able to make any sales if the benefits of commercial
                                software
                                > > products v. open source were not substantial.
                                >
                                > Is this a troll?

                                Obviously YES.

                                And quite a lot of feeders too.

                                > I have documented Postfix performance claims on Wikipedia. Be sure
                                > to read the cautionary note about factors outside of Postfix that
                                > in practice limit the delivery performance.
                                >
                                > Wietse

                                DFTT

                                --
                                Roel Wagenaar,

                                Linux-User #469851 with the Linux Counter; http://linuxcounter.net/

                                Antw.: Omdat het de volgorde verstoord waarin mensen tekst lezen.
                                Vraag: Waarom is top-posting een slechte gewoonte?
                                Antw.: Top-posting.
                                Vraag: Wat is het meest ergerlijke in e-mail?

                                Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else get your way.
                              • fletch
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                                  What do you mean by: "...they can not come close to postfix as far as email
                                  standards go"? My understanding is that powermta fully complies with the
                                  various RFCs.

                                  Also, I'm sure there are far more spammers using free software like postfix
                                  rather than paying for a commercial product.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 12, 2013
                                    On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 03:53:17PM -0700, fletch wrote:

                                    > What do you mean by: "...they can not come close to postfix as far as email
                                    > standards go"? My understanding is that powermta fully complies with the
                                    > various RFCs.
                                    >
                                    > Also, I'm sure there are far more spammers using free software like postfix
                                    > rather than paying for a commercial product.

                                    Let's not go down this rabbit-hole. At this point in the thread we're no
                                    longer talking about Postfix.

                                  • Marius Gologan
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 30, 2013
                                      Bulk doesn't mean to blast the world in 1 second with emails.

                                      1) The magic of PowerMTA consists in rotating IPs base on returned codes and
                                      returned message patterns. e.g.: if an IP addresses is banned by an ESP,
                                      will backoff on a different IP address in order in an attempt to achieve
                                      delivery. Thus, is designed for email marketing area, not for corporate
                                      email service.
                                      If you read the 330 pages guide you'll find that, by default, is sending 2
                                      messages via 2 parallel connections. Can be increased considerable, but you
                                      need to be a genius in 'warp speed' throttling and have IPs+Sender Domains
                                      as Amazon SES has.
                                      It is very limited for inbound messages handling.

                                      2) Postfix is a true performance MTA, used world wide (mature).
                                      The Magic of Postfix is quite complex. E.g: unlike PowerMTA, provides
                                      dynamic/adaptive throttling which is quite intelligent. It looks like it
                                      doesn't provide a way for rotating IPs as PowerMTA does. Thus, I don't see
                                      how spammers prefer Postfix. I'm still learning about Postfix secrets and
                                      how much creative can be.
                                      In my opinion, the performance for bulk deliverability should be reduce in
                                      Postfix, not increased, in order to meat ESP requirements in these days.

                                      Both MTAs are designed for two different purposes, thus, you cannot compare
                                      them.

                                      Postfix, on a *nix machine, is a true Email Server - a complex platform with
                                      many features, covering all aspects and requirements you can imagine (except
                                      the one mentioned above), but, often, many steps ahead MS Exchange.
                                      PowerMTA is an advanced sending software application for email marketers,
                                      covering exclusively their requirements and needs of rotating IPs per ESP.

                                      Marius.