SMTP authentication issue

  • Selcuk Yazar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2012
      Hi,

      we have weird issue on postfix smtp authenticaion(postfix-openldap-dovecot).

      one user enter wrong characters after his correct password authentication again.
      i mean

      user name jhondoe
      password 12345678

      but when user authenticate 12345678__-- authenticate again.

      but when users enter a12345678 can't authenticate

      ehlo mail.domain
      250-mail.domain
      250-PIPELINING
      250-SIZE 1000960000
      250-VRFY
      250-ETRN
      250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
      250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
      250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
      250-8BITMIME
      250 DSN

      thanks in advance.
      --
      Selçuk YAZAR

    • Helga Mayer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2012
        On 09/03/2012 09:51 AM, Selcuk Yazar wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > we have weird issue on postfix smtp
        > authenticaion(postfix-openldap-dovecot).
        >
        > one user enter wrong characters after his correct password
        > authentication again.
        > i mean
        >
        > user name jhondoe
        > password 12345678
        >
        > but when user authenticate 12345678__-- authenticate again.
        >
        > but when users enter a12345678 can't authenticate
        The first 8 characters matter. This looks like a problem of the backend.
        Though I have never heard that openldap restricts the password to 8
        characters.
        To my experience solaris does.

        Regards
        Helga Mayer
      • Gábor Lénárt
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2012
          On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:28:06AM +0200, Helga Mayer wrote:
          [...]
          > >user name jhondoe
          > >password 12345678
          > >
          > >but when user authenticate 12345678__-- authenticate again.
          > >
          > >but when users enter a12345678 can't authenticate
          > The first 8 characters matter. This looks like a problem of the backend.
          > Though I have never heard that openldap restricts the password to 8
          > characters.
          > To my experience solaris does.

          Is it possible that LDAP contains DES ({crypt}) encrypted password? Then
          only the first 8 characters of the password counts, AFAIK. It's the
          limitation of the choosen password hash algorithm, one should select another
          one (also recommended because of the weakness of DES nowdays). IMHO.