Switching an MX host from using relaying to using virtual alias domains?

  • Michael Durket
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
      I have a host (A) acting as an MX for host (B). Currently I do this via relay_domains and relay_recipient_maps. Is it possible to do this instead via virtual_domains and virtual_aliases? Or would a virtual_alias map entry on MX host A to forward user@B to user@B not work right (because the right-hand-side user@B would generate an MX lookup for B which would loop right back to host A)?
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
        On 8/2/2012 2:02 PM, Michael Durket wrote:
        > I have a host (A) acting as an MX for host (B). Currently I do this via relay_domains and relay_recipient_maps. Is it possible to do this instead via virtual_domains and virtual_aliases? Or would a virtual_alias map entry on MX host A to forward user@B to user@B not work right (because the right-hand-side user@B would generate an MX lookup for B which would loop right back to host A)?

        Using relay_domains and relay_recipient_maps on host A is the
        correct mechanism when host A is the MX for host B. In some cases
        is it also necessary to add a transport_maps entry so postfix knows
        where to deliver mail for the relayed domain.

        If you want to add aliases, you can use virtual_alias_maps (NOT!
        virtual_alias_domains) on host A without changing relay_domains or
        relay_recipient_maps.
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps

        If you need to override the MX for a specific user, use a
        transport_maps entry.
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_maps

        -- Noel Jones
      • Ben Rosengart
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2012
          On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:02:56PM -0700, Michael Durket wrote:
          > I have a host (A) acting as an MX for host (B). Currently I do this via relay_domains and relay_recipient_maps. Is it possible to do this instead via virtual_domains and virtual_aliases? Or would a virtual_alias map entry on MX host A to forward user@B to user@B not work right (because the right-hand-side user@B would generate an MX lookup for B which would loop right back to host A)?

          Is there a problem you're trying to solve, or are you just curious?

          --
          Ben Rosengart "Like all those possessing a library,
          Sendmail, Inc. Aurelian was aware that he was guilty of

          NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.
          Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.
        • Michael Durket
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2012
            Ben,

            An issue I'm trying to solve - but never mind - I figured out a simpler way with transport maps.

            Mike Durket