Re: get email filename

  • Wael MANAI
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2012
      Why I want to replace sendmail by my own "sendmail" (open a tcp connection to localhost on port 25) is because postfix when he sends the 250 Ok after DATA sending gives the file name:

      250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 06F2F1C00B

      where 06F2F1C00B is the filename.

      Le mercredi 01 août 2012 à 10:50 -0400, Wietse Venema a écrit :
      Wael MANAI:
      > I am using sendmail to send emails to postfix and I would like to know
      > if there is a way to get the filename given by postfix?

      Wietse:
      > > No. The file name changes after you submit the mail.

      Wael MANAI:
      > Thx for the answer. So how can I replace sendmail cmd by telnet to send
      > emails always through postfix? I thought to do telnet on 127.0.0.1 but I
      > do not know which configuration to make in master.cf....

      Postfix provides standard interfaces to receive or send mail: SMTP,
      UNIX pipe-to-command; there are also standard interfaces to manipulate
      email content: pipe-to-command, SMTP and Milter. These interfaces
      are where the Postfix support ends.

      Instead of the Postfix semdmail command, you can use a so-called
      "mini sendmail" that submits mail over SMTP.  For example:
      http://www.acme.com/software/mini_sendmail/

      That still will not get you the Postfix queue file name.  Programs
      that attempt to read or write Postfix queue files are UNSUPPORTED.
      This means that they WILL BREAK when Postfix is updated.

      	Wietse

    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2012
        do not top-post

        Am 02.08.2012 16:17, schrieb Wael MANAI:
        > Le mercredi 01 août 2012 à 10:50 -0400, Wietse Venema a écrit :
        >> Wael MANAI:
        >> > I am using sendmail to send emails to postfix and I would like to know
        >> > if there is a way to get the filename given by postfix?
        >>
        >> Wietse:
        >>
        >> Wael MANAI:
        >> > Thx for the answer. So how can I replace sendmail cmd by telnet to send
        >> > emails always through postfix? I thought to do telnet on 127.0.0.1 but I
        >> > do not know which configuration to make in master.cf....
        >>
        >> Postfix provides standard interfaces to receive or send mail: SMTP,
        >> UNIX pipe-to-command; there are also standard interfaces to manipulate
        >> email content: pipe-to-command, SMTP and Milter. These interfaces
        >> are where the Postfix support ends.
        >>
        >> Instead of the Postfix semdmail command, you can use a so-called
        >> "mini sendmail" that submits mail over SMTP. For example:
        >> http://www.acme.com/software/mini_sendmail/
        >>
        >> That still will not get you the Postfix queue file name. Programs
        >> that attempt to read or write Postfix queue files are UNSUPPORTED.
        >> This means that they WILL BREAK when Postfix is updated.

        > Why I want to replace sendmail by my own "sendmail" (open a tcp connection to localhost on port 25) is because
        > postfix when he sends the 250 Ok after DATA sending gives the file name:
        >
        > 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 06F2F1C00B
        > where 06F2F1C00B is the filename

        did you not read the reply you are quoting?
        you must not touch queue files and nobody understands
        in which context the filename interests anybody

        so waht is your problem you think can be solved by
        knowing the filename?
      • Wael MANAI
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2012
          Le jeudi 02 août 2012 à 16:27 +0200, Reindl Harald a écrit :
          do not top-post

          Am 02.08.2012 16:17, schrieb Wael MANAI:
          > Le mercredi 01 août 2012 à 10:50 -0400, Wietse Venema a écrit :
          >> Wael MANAI:
          >> > I am using sendmail to send emails to postfix and I would like to know
          >> > if there is a way to get the filename given by postfix?
          >>
          >> Wietse:
          >>
          >> Wael MANAI:
          >> > Thx for the answer. So how can I replace sendmail cmd by telnet to send
          >> > emails always through postfix? I thought to do telnet on 127.0.0.1 but I
          >> > do not know which configuration to make in master.cf....
          >>
          >> Postfix provides standard interfaces to receive or send mail: SMTP,
          >> UNIX pipe-to-command; there are also standard interfaces to manipulate
          >> email content: pipe-to-command, SMTP and Milter. These interfaces
          >> are where the Postfix support ends.
          >>
          >> Instead of the Postfix semdmail command, you can use a so-called
          >> "mini sendmail" that submits mail over SMTP.  For example:
          >> http://www.acme.com/software/mini_sendmail/
          >>
          >> That still will not get you the Postfix queue file name.  Programs
          >> that attempt to read or write Postfix queue files are UNSUPPORTED.
          >> This means that they WILL BREAK when Postfix is updated.

          > Why I want to replace sendmail by my own "sendmail" (open a tcp connection to localhost on port 25) is because
          > postfix when he sends the 250 Ok after DATA sending gives the file name:
          >
          > 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 06F2F1C00B
          > where 06F2F1C00B is the filename

          did you not read the reply you are quoting?
          you must not touch queue files and nobody understands
          in which context the filename interests anybody

          so waht is your problem you think can be solved by
          knowing the filename?

          I do not want to touch the queue files. Well, I am developing an application for MMS which uses SMTP protocol. When a request msg is sent sometimes the destination MMSC does not answer or answer too late. In this case I need to close my context and to send an acknowledgement to the origin MMSC. But with sendmail I do not know if the request msg is delivered or still in postfix queue and I do not want to close my context if the msg is still in queue. That is the reason I try to find a mechanism to get postfix filename.

          Do you understand my problem?

        • Reindl Harald
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2012
            Am 02.08.2012 16:48, schrieb Wael MANAI:
            > Le jeudi 02 août 2012 à 16:27 +0200, Reindl Harald a écrit :
            >> do not top-post

            >> > Why I want to replace sendmail by my own "sendmail" (open a tcp connection to localhost on port 25) is because
            >> > postfix when he sends the 250 Ok after DATA sending gives the file name:
            >> >
            >> > 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 06F2F1C00B
            >> > where 06F2F1C00B is the filename
            >>
            >> did you not read the reply you are quoting?
            >> you must not touch queue files and nobody understands
            >> in which context the filename interests anybody
            >>
            >> so waht is your problem you think can be solved by
            >> knowing the filename?
            >
            > I do not want to touch the queue files. Well, I am developing an application for MMS which uses SMTP protocol. When
            > a request msg is sent sometimes the destination MMSC does not answer or answer too late. In this case I need to
            > close my context and to send an acknowledgement to the origin MMSC. But with sendmail I do not know if the request
            > msg is delivered or still in postfix queue and I do not want to close my context if the msg is still in queue. That
            > is the reason I try to find a mechanism to get postfix filename.

            sorry but this is broken by design and show not understanding how
            e-mail works! what give you the conclusion that a message will
            leave the queue in a acceptable amount of time?

            if the final destination has technical problems or for
            whatever reason it does not accept the message it can
            take up to five DAYS with trying to deliver again or
            bounce finally to the sender
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2012
              Wael MANAI:
              > I do not want to touch the queue files. Well, I am developing an
              > application for MMS which uses SMTP protocol. When a request msg is sent
              > sometimes the destination MMSC does not answer or answer too late. In
              > this case I need to close my context and to send an acknowledgement to
              > the origin MMSC. But with sendmail I do not know if the request msg is
              > delivered or still in postfix queue and I do not want to close my
              > context if the msg is still in queue. That is the reason I try to find a
              > mechanism to get postfix filename.

              With SMTP you only know that the SMTP server has RECEIVED the
              message. You don't know that the message is delivered.