Re: Suppressing *all* MX lookups on a transport

  • DTNX Postmaster
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2012
      On Jul 24, 2012, at 02:22, Ori Bani wrote:

      > On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Viktor Dukhovni
      > <postfix-users@...> wrote:
      >> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 03:33:53PM -0700, Marty Beckler wrote:
      >>
      >>> Transport next hops can have MX lookups disabled by adding [] around
      >>> the next hop.
      >>>
      >>> Is it possible to define a transport that always has MX lookups
      >>> disabled without specifying the next hop?
      >>>
      >>> man 5 transport says that trivial-rewrite(8) doesn't allow
      >>> substitutions in pcre tables, otherwise, this is what I'd want:
      >>>
      >>> /(.+\.internal)/ internal_smtp:[$1]
      >>>
      >>> So is there any other way to disable MX lookups wholesale for a given transport?
      >>
      >> What's wrong with MX lookups? If the records are absent, Postfix
      >> will use A records,
      >
      > Interesting, for me, postfix was throwing up its hands instead.
      >
      >> so you generally don't need to suppress MX
      >> lookups unless you have wildcard MX records or incorrect MX records.
      >> Just make sure your MX records either don't exist or are sensible.
      >>
      >> Making up top level domains like ".internal" is not a good idea.
      >> If the TLD is not reserved by RFC and does not exist (yet) don't
      >> use it. With ICANN slated to register a few thousand new TLDs this
      >> year, you may find your fantasy TLD turning into someone else's
      >> reality.
      >>
      >> If your domain is "example.com", consider "internal.example.com"
      >> as a "root" for internal domains.
      >
      > There's too many hosts we need to resolve so short of DNS tricks, just
      > disabling lookups in postifx is easiest. OK, thanks for your advice. I
      > appreciate it.

      Having valid, properly resolving DNS is not a trick, and a much better
      solution than compensating for it on a different level.

      If a subdomain is not an option, register a valid 'network domain' for
      your internal use, and use that. Like 'example-lan.net' if your main
      domain is 'example.com', or something similar.

      Routing mail to many hosts then becomes as simple as making sure they
      have valid A/AAAA records within that domain.

      Makes your life easier with regard to IPv6, too.

      Cya,
      Jona