Re: special characters in mail address

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
      do not top-post after get reply at bottom!

      Am 03.07.2012 13:53, schrieb Dentzer:
> [...]

      this makes absolutely no sense
      you have to keep in mind that EVERY mailserver involved for
      delivering a message (and that can be many hops) has to
      accept a address as valid

      so usually do not use special chars at all!
    • Dentzer, Daniel
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012

        Why does it makes no sense, these Characters are valid as written in RFC 3696:
        ----------
        Without quotes, local-parts may consist of any combination of
        alphabetic characters, digits, or any of the special characters

        ! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` . { | } ~

        period (".") may also appear, but may not be used to start or end the
        local part, nor may two or more consecutive periods appear.
        ----------

        After all, my postfix is not working like defined in the RFCs, may be due to this UUCP-Problem, but we don't use UUCP.
        (and I don't know much about UUCP)

        Is there any other option, other than stop using special characters?
      • Reindl Harald
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
          Am 03.07.2012 14:48, schrieb Dentzer:

> [...]

          one thing is RFC and the other one how useable is a address
          in the real life

          * register forms with breaking validation
          * other servers / relays / mail-filters

          yes, in case of problems you can say XYZ is violating the RFC
          but this does not help the user much

          that is why we are restricting e-mail to a-z,0-9 and -
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
            On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 12:48:58PM +0000, Dentzer, Daniel wrote:

            > > > Beware that ! is a site separator in UUCP addresses.
            > > >
            > > > Good information.
            > > >
            > > > Is there a way to turn this off?
            > >
            > > this makes absolutely no sense
            > > you have to keep in mind that EVERY mailserver involved for delivering a
            > > message (and that can be many hops) has to accept a address as valid
            > >
            > > so usually do not use special chars at all!
            >
            > Why does it makes no sense, these Characters are valid as written in RFC 3696:

            The RFC only defines SMTP, not the whole email ecosystem. Sure

            mimsy!chris@...

            is a local address at "umd.edu" from the perspective of SMTP, but (still!) the
            majority of non-border Sendmail and Postfix systems will treat these as UUCP
            addresses and become multi-hop open relays if the border MTA does not refuse
            to forward these. Hence Postfix correctly treats these as source routes by
            default.

            If your system consists of just your server and is not a border
            relay and either refuses incoming mail or delivers it locally, then:

            swap_bangpath = no

            will disable UUCP support and allow incoming "abc!de" local parts,
            but these will be treated with prejudice everywhere else, so RFC
            or no RFC this address is not useful. There are de-facto standards
            that should or must not be ignored.

          • Dentzer, Daniel
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012

              After a bit searching, and the great comments of you all, it looks like -see text above- a general problem of Postfix (and other mailsystems). But on the other side, it is well known, that nobody should use unusual special characters.

              E.g. in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Specification are some more explanations:

              "Systems that send mail must be capable of handling outgoing mail for all valid addresses. Contrary to the relevant standards, some defective systems treat certain legitimate addresses as invalid and fail to handle mail to these addresses. Hotmail, for example, refuses to send mail to any address containing any of the following standards-permissible characters: !#$%*/?^`{|}~"

              But under Valid email addresses:
              !#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{}|~@...

              The result for me is, that I will persuade my company not to use most of the characters.

              Thank you all for the very fast and competent help.

              Daniel
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
                On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 01:26:37PM +0000, Dentzer, Daniel wrote:

                > E.g. in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Specification are some more explanations:
                >
                > "Systems that send mail must be capable of handling outgoing mail
                > for all valid addresses. Contrary to the relevant standards, some
                > defective systems treat certain legitimate addresses as invalid
                > and fail to handle mail to these addresses.

                The above text is unjustifiably pejorative. Systems that deal with the
                real world outside the standards group are not necessarily "defective".

                Postfix is quite capable of handling all the allowed RFC 2821/2822
                non-special characters in address localparts. By default, sensible
                security precautions and backwards compatibility settings are in
                place:

                - swap_bangpath = yes

                This protects internal systems (Sendmail, Postfix or other)
                from becoming multi-hop open relays if they support "host!user"
                UUCP address rewriting.

                - allow_percent_hack = yes

                Much the same, but for "user%internal@external" legacy addresses.

                - allow_min_user = no

                Protects careless administrators and shell script authors from their
                own folly. For example in master.cf pipe(8) argv= specs:

                SAFE:
                argv=myscript -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}
                UNSAFE:
                argv=myscript -f${sender} ${recipient}
                argv= argv=myscript -f ${sender} ${recipient}
                null_sender= argv=myscript -f${sender} -- ${recipient}

                Disable these measures at your peril. If your installation is simple
                and carefully maintained these are not needed. In practice people
                are lazy and sloppy and benefit from the extra care that Postfix
                takes to save them from themselves.