Re: AW: AW: AW: special characters in mail address

  • Benny Pedersen
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
      Den 2012-07-03 12:40, Dentzer, Daniel skrev:
      > Thank you, but after the change, the behavior is the same.

      sure but it an failure to let postfix see mydestination in
      relay_domains

      mydestination is local, while relay_domains is remote hosted

      relay access denied means recipient domain is not in mydestination or
      sender is outside of mynetworks

      check where abc.de is in your hashes, or if its just that you use hash
      table for mynetworks
    • Dentzer, Daniel
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
        The server is running for years now, the only thing is that with an exclamation mark in the local part of the mail address the email is not forwarded, hundreds of user mail addresses work.

        I think the configuration is (mostly) correct and working, but when I use special characters (until now only "!") the server has problems with the domain name and didn't relay.

        Den 2012-07-03 12:40, Dentzer, Daniel skrev:
        > Thank you, but after the change, the behavior is the same.

        sure but it an failure to let postfix see mydestination in relay_domains

        mydestination is local, while relay_domains is remote hosted

        relay access denied means recipient domain is not in mydestination or sender is outside of mynetworks

        check where abc.de is in your hashes, or if its just that you use hash table for mynetworks
      • Erwan David
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
          Le Tue 3/07/2012, Dentzer, Daniel disait
          > The server is running for years now, the only thing is that with an exclamation mark in the local part of the mail address the email is not forwarded, hundreds of user mail addresses work.
          >
          > I think the configuration is (mostly) correct and working, but when I use special characters (until now only "!") the server has problems with the domain name and didn't relay.

          Beware that ! is a site separator in UUCP addresses.

          --
          Erwan
        • Dentzer, Daniel
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
            Good information.

            Is there a way to turn this off?

            Le Tue 3/07/2012, Dentzer, Daniel disait
            > The server is running for years now, the only thing is that with an exclamation mark in the local part of the mail address the email is not forwarded, hundreds of user mail addresses work.
            >
            > I think the configuration is (mostly) correct and working, but when I use special characters (until now only "!") the server has problems with the domain name and didn't relay.

            Beware that ! is a site separator in UUCP addresses.

            --
            Erwan
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
              do not top-post after get reply at bottom!

              Am 03.07.2012 13:53, schrieb Dentzer:
> [...]

              this makes absolutely no sense
              you have to keep in mind that EVERY mailserver involved for
              delivering a message (and that can be many hops) has to
              accept a address as valid

              so usually do not use special chars at all!
            • Dentzer, Daniel
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012

                Why does it makes no sense, these Characters are valid as written in RFC 3696:
                ----------
                Without quotes, local-parts may consist of any combination of
                alphabetic characters, digits, or any of the special characters

                ! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` . { | } ~

                period (".") may also appear, but may not be used to start or end the
                local part, nor may two or more consecutive periods appear.
                ----------

                After all, my postfix is not working like defined in the RFCs, may be due to this UUCP-Problem, but we don't use UUCP.
                (and I don't know much about UUCP)

                Is there any other option, other than stop using special characters?
              • Reindl Harald
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
                  Am 03.07.2012 14:48, schrieb Dentzer:

> [...]

                  one thing is RFC and the other one how useable is a address
                  in the real life

                  * register forms with breaking validation
                  * other servers / relays / mail-filters

                  yes, in case of problems you can say XYZ is violating the RFC
                  but this does not help the user much

                  that is why we are restricting e-mail to a-z,0-9 and -
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
                    On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 12:48:58PM +0000, Dentzer, Daniel wrote:

                    > > > Beware that ! is a site separator in UUCP addresses.
                    > > >
                    > > > Good information.
                    > > >
                    > > > Is there a way to turn this off?
                    > >
                    > > this makes absolutely no sense
                    > > you have to keep in mind that EVERY mailserver involved for delivering a
                    > > message (and that can be many hops) has to accept a address as valid
                    > >
                    > > so usually do not use special chars at all!
                    >
                    > Why does it makes no sense, these Characters are valid as written in RFC 3696:

                    The RFC only defines SMTP, not the whole email ecosystem. Sure

                    mimsy!chris@...

                    is a local address at "umd.edu" from the perspective of SMTP, but (still!) the
                    majority of non-border Sendmail and Postfix systems will treat these as UUCP
                    addresses and become multi-hop open relays if the border MTA does not refuse
                    to forward these. Hence Postfix correctly treats these as source routes by
                    default.

                    If your system consists of just your server and is not a border
                    relay and either refuses incoming mail or delivers it locally, then:

                    swap_bangpath = no

                    will disable UUCP support and allow incoming "abc!de" local parts,
                    but these will be treated with prejudice everywhere else, so RFC
                    or no RFC this address is not useful. There are de-facto standards
                    that should or must not be ignored.

                  • Dentzer, Daniel
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012

                      After a bit searching, and the great comments of you all, it looks like -see text above- a general problem of Postfix (and other mailsystems). But on the other side, it is well known, that nobody should use unusual special characters.

                      E.g. in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Specification are some more explanations:

                      "Systems that send mail must be capable of handling outgoing mail for all valid addresses. Contrary to the relevant standards, some defective systems treat certain legitimate addresses as invalid and fail to handle mail to these addresses. Hotmail, for example, refuses to send mail to any address containing any of the following standards-permissible characters: !#$%*/?^`{|}~"

                      But under Valid email addresses:
                      !#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{}|~@...

                      The result for me is, that I will persuade my company not to use most of the characters.

                      Thank you all for the very fast and competent help.

                      Daniel
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
                        On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 01:26:37PM +0000, Dentzer, Daniel wrote:

                        > E.g. in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Specification are some more explanations:
                        >
                        > "Systems that send mail must be capable of handling outgoing mail
                        > for all valid addresses. Contrary to the relevant standards, some
                        > defective systems treat certain legitimate addresses as invalid
                        > and fail to handle mail to these addresses.

                        The above text is unjustifiably pejorative. Systems that deal with the
                        real world outside the standards group are not necessarily "defective".

                        Postfix is quite capable of handling all the allowed RFC 2821/2822
                        non-special characters in address localparts. By default, sensible
                        security precautions and backwards compatibility settings are in
                        place:

                        - swap_bangpath = yes

                        This protects internal systems (Sendmail, Postfix or other)
                        from becoming multi-hop open relays if they support "host!user"
                        UUCP address rewriting.

                        - allow_percent_hack = yes

                        Much the same, but for "user%internal@external" legacy addresses.

                        - allow_min_user = no

                        Protects careless administrators and shell script authors from their
                        own folly. For example in master.cf pipe(8) argv= specs:

                        SAFE:
                        argv=myscript -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}
                        UNSAFE:
                        argv=myscript -f${sender} ${recipient}
                        argv= argv=myscript -f ${sender} ${recipient}
                        null_sender= argv=myscript -f${sender} -- ${recipient}

                        Disable these measures at your peril. If your installation is simple
                        and carefully maintained these are not needed. In practice people
                        are lazy and sloppy and benefit from the extra care that Postfix
                        takes to save them from themselves.