Re: mynetworks support for ipv6 link local (fe80) hosts

  • Derek Atkins
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
      Wietse Venema <wietse@...> writes:

      > For the record: mynetworks has always supported net/mask notation.

      Of course, but that wasn't what I was talking about, and it never was.
      I was talking about "permit_mynetworks" working properly with an ipv6
      link local address specified in mynetworks, and *that* wasn't working
      due the extraneous "%eth0" in the address from the Linux "AddrToString"
      functions.

      > I did not notice that your problem was in client hostname lookup.

      I'm not sure I'd classify it as "hostname lookup" but more as "link
      local address matching". But whatever. It's working in 2.9, which is
      all I really care about.

      Thanks,

      > Wietse

      -derek

      Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
        Derek Atkins:
        > Wietse Venema <wietse@...> writes:
        >
        > > For the record: mynetworks has always supported net/mask notation.
        >
        > Of course, but that wasn't what I was talking about, and it never was.
        > I was talking about "permit_mynetworks" working properly with an ipv6
        > link local address specified in mynetworks, and *that* wasn't working
        > due the extraneous "%eth0" in the address from the Linux "AddrToString"
        > functions.

        You stated that (permit)mynetworks should support link-local suffixes
        (they never did, and to this date thet don't). Instead, when I
        learned that such suffixes crept into Postfix via non-Postfix library
        routines, I added code to strip them.

        Wietse
      • Derek Atkins
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2012
          Wietse Venema <wietse@...> writes:

          > Derek Atkins:
          >> Wietse Venema <wietse@...> writes:
          >>
          >> > For the record: mynetworks has always supported net/mask notation.
          >>
          >> Of course, but that wasn't what I was talking about, and it never was.
          >> I was talking about "permit_mynetworks" working properly with an ipv6
          >> link local address specified in mynetworks, and *that* wasn't working
          >> due the extraneous "%eth0" in the address from the Linux "AddrToString"
          >> functions.
          >
          > You stated that (permit)mynetworks should support link-local suffixes
          > (they never did, and to this date thet don't). Instead, when I
          > learned that such suffixes crept into Postfix via non-Postfix library
          > routines, I added code to strip them.

          Actually it was someone else that said postfix should support link-local
          suffixes. That conversation happened in 2010, well before I joined this
          list. I just wanted link-local matching to work with
          (permit)mynetworks, which it didn't in 2.7.7 (due to the suffixes), but
          does in 2.9.2 because you added the code to strip the suffixes. I never
          had a preference as to *how* the address matching would work. :)

          But again, thank you for adding that code. I'm a happy postfix user
          (again).

          warlord@... PGP key available