software for sending large files?

  • Miles Fidelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
      Hi Folks,

      I figure someone here might know....

      There are a whole bunch of services for "emailing" large files - mainly
      by allowing one to upload the file, then sending an email to one's
      intended recipient that contains a download link (e.g., filemail.com).
      I also know of at least one list manager (sympa) that will do this for
      large file attachments (they call it "urlizing" the file). For that
      matter, tweet-a-file does the same thing for twitter.

      But... for the life of me, I can't seem to find a server-side program
      that I can run to do this on our system. The basic use case:

      - tweak our postfix configuration so that instead of rejecting large
      file attachments, it pipes them to a script that:
      -- stores the file
      -- generates a unique URL that points to the file
      -- generates a password that goes with the URL
      -- email the URL and password to the original recipient

      I know that I've seen scripts like this in the past, but I've been
      drawing a blank in trying to track one down today.

      Thanks for any pointers.

      Miles Fidelman

      In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra
    • Benny Pedersen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
        Den 2012-06-03 01:15, Miles Fidelman skrev:
        > I figure someone here might know....

        [snip]

        bittorrent, with webseeds and or dht only option, then torrent can be
        sent over email, and recipient fetch the file from the sender via
        torrent protocol

        unlimit size :=)
      • Miles Fidelman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
          Benny Pedersen wrote:
          > Den 2012-06-03 01:15, Miles Fidelman skrev:
          >> I figure someone here might know....
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          > bittorrent, with webseeds and or dht only option, then torrent can be
          > sent over email, and recipient fetch the file from the sender via
          > torrent protocol
          > unlimit size :=)
          for anyone who might be interested... with a LOT of googling, I found this:

          http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/
          - GPL'd source version: http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/
          - Debian Package: http://packages.debian.org/sid/fex
          - hosted version: http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fup

          In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra
        • Yashodhan Barve
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2012
            On 12-06-02 8:39 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
            > Benny Pedersen wrote:
            >> Den 2012-06-03 01:15, Miles Fidelman skrev:
            >>> I figure someone here might know....
            >>
            >> [snip]
            >>
            >> bittorrent, with webseeds and or dht only option, then torrent can be
            >> sent over email, and recipient fetch the file from the sender via
            >> torrent protocol
            >> unlimit size :=)
            > for anyone who might be interested... with a LOT of googling, I found this:
            >
            > http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/
            > - GPL'd source version: http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/
            > - Debian Package: http://packages.debian.org/sid/fex
            > - hosted version: http://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/fup