Re: turn off mailer daemon returns

  • Wael MANAI
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
      Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

      I hope my explanations clear,

      thx

      Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 09:19 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt a écrit :
      * Wael MANAI <wael.manai@...>:
      > Any idea?
      >
      > Le jeudi 31 mai 2012 à 17:49 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
      >
      > > Hi everybody,
      > >
      > > I would like to know if it's possible to prevent postfix to NOT send a
      > > MAILER DAEMON email back to the sender if something is wrong?

      Why is your server bouncing mails? Please show an example

    • DTNX Postmaster
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
        On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

        > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

        Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
        related configuration options that Postfix provides?

        This is where I would start looking;

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
        http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
        http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

        And what Ram suggested;
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

        Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
        template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
        you need?

        Cya,
        Jona

        --

        > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
        >> You can enable soft bounce. So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
        >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
        >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
        >>

        >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
        >>> Any idea?

      • Wael MANAI
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
          Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

          Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 11:50 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
          On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

          > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

          Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
          related configuration options that Postfix provides?

          This is where I would start looking;

          http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
          http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

          http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
          http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

          http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

          And what Ram suggested;
          http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

          Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
          template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
          you need?

          Cya,
          Jona

          --

          > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
          >> You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
          >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
          >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
          >>

          >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
          >>> Any idea?

        • Wael MANAI
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
            I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

            Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
            Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

            Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 11:50 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
            On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

            > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

            Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
            related configuration options that Postfix provides?

            This is where I would start looking;

            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
            http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
            http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

            And what Ram suggested;
            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

            Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
            template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
            you need?

            Cya,
            Jona

            --

            > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
            >> You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
            >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
            >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
            >>

            >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
            >>> Any idea?

          • DTNX Postmaster
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
              On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:

              > I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

              Which parameter value are you trying to modify?

              Cya,
              Jona

              --

              > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
              >> Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

              >>> Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
              >>> related configuration options that Postfix provides?
              >>>
              >>> This is where I would start looking;
              >>>

              >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
              >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html
              >>>

              >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
              >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html
              >>>

              >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
              >>>

              >>> And what Ram suggested;
              >>>
              >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce
              >>>

              >>> Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
              >>> template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
              >>> you need?
              >>>
              >>> Cya,
              >>> Jona
              >>>
              >>> --

            • Wael MANAI
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
                MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID

                thx

                Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 13:51 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:

                > I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

                Which parameter value are you trying to modify?

                Cya,
                Jona

                --

                > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
                >> Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                >>> Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                >>> related configuration options that Postfix provides?
                >>>
                >>> This is where I would start looking;
                >>>

                >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html
                >>>

                >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html
                >>>

                >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                >>>

                >>> And what Ram suggested;
                >>>
                >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce
                >>>

                >>> Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                >>> template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                >>> you need?
                >>>
                >>> Cya,
                >>> Jona
                >>>
                >>> --

              • DTNX Postmaster
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
                  On Jun 5, 2012, at 16:04, Wael MANAI wrote:

                  > MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID

                  First, read up: http://www.google.com/search?q=top+posting

                  Then have another look at the documentation;

                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#header_checks
                  http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html

                  With 'internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce' and the header_checks,
                  you might be able to redirect your message, feed it to whatever
                  software generates the 'X-Mms-Transaction-ID' for you, and then
                  reinsert it for delivery.

                  If the transaction ID is the same for all messages it might even be
                  as easy as using a 'PREPEND' or 'REPLACE'.

                  Cya,
                  Jona

                  --

                  > Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 13:51 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                  >> On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.
                  >
                  > Which parameter value are you trying to modify?
                  >
                  > Cya,
                  > Jona
                • Wael MANAI
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                    with internal_mail_filter_classes and header_checks I can redirect the message to my software in order to change X-Mms-Transaction-ID parameter. But when I send the mailer-daemon with the good parameter, the message loops.

                    Here are my settings:
                    In main.cf:
                    internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce
                    header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix_out/header_checks

                    in /etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                    /^From: *MAILER-DAEMON/ FILTER mail-postfix:

                    BR

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                      On 6/12/2012 11:47 AM, Wael MANAI wrote:
                      > with internal_mail_filter_classes and header_checks I can redirect
                      > the message to my software in order to change X-Mms-Transaction-ID
                      > parameter. But when I send the mailer-daemon with the good
                      > parameter, the message loops.
                      >
                      > Here are my settings:
                      > In main.cf:
                      > internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce
                      > header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                      >
                      > in /etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                      > /^From: *MAILER-DAEMON/ FILTER mail-postfix:

                      you need to turn off header_checks in your mail-postfix transport.
                      see the archives for details.

                      -- Noel Jones

                      > BR
                      >
                      > Le mardi 05 juin 2012 à 23:28 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                      >> On Jun 5, 2012, at 16:04, Wael MANAI wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID
                      >>

                      >> First, read up: http://www.google.com/search?q=top+posting
                      >>
                      >> Then have another look at the documentation;
                      >>
                      >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                      >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#header_checks
                      >> http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html
                      >>
                      >> With 'internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce' and the header_checks,
                      >> you might be able to redirect your message, feed it to whatever
                      >> software generates the 'X-Mms-Transaction-ID' for you, and then
                      >> reinsert it for delivery.
                      >>
                      >> If the transaction ID is the same for all messages it might even be
                      >> as easy as using a 'PREPEND' or 'REPLACE'.
                      >>
                      >> Cya,
                      >> Jona
                      >>
                      >> --

                      >> > Which parameter value are you trying to modify?
                      >> >
                      >> > Cya,
                      >> > Jona

                    • Wael MANAI
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                        Hi,

                        Just to thank everybody, now I received all the mailer-daemon and I can control the messages sent.