Re: turn off mailer daemon returns

  • Wael MANAI
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
      Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

      I hope my explanations clear,

      thx

      Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 09:19 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt a écrit :
      * Wael MANAI <wael.manai@...>:
      > Any idea?
      >
      > Le jeudi 31 mai 2012 à 17:49 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
      >
      > > Hi everybody,
      > >
      > > I would like to know if it's possible to prevent postfix to NOT send a
      > > MAILER DAEMON email back to the sender if something is wrong?

      Why is your server bouncing mails? Please show an example

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
        > Any idea?
        >
        > Le jeudi 31 mai 2012 ? 17:49 +0200, Wael MANAI a ?crit :
        >
        > > Hi everybody,
        > >
        > > I would like to know if it's possible to prevent postfix to NOT send a
        > > MAILER DAEMON email back to the sender if something is wrong?

        Yes. People who want to turn off error reports usually have a
        different problem that they don't want to fix.

        I suggest that you fix the right problem.

        Wietse
      • Wael MANAI
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
          Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

          Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
          You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
          But I am not sure really want to do this.
          Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?

          On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
          Any idea?

          Le jeudi 31 mai 2012 à 17:49 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
          Hi everybody,

          I would like to know if it's possible to prevent postfix to NOT send a MAILER DAEMON email back to the sender if something is wrong?

          thanks in advance,
        • DTNX Postmaster
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
            On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

            > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

            Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
            related configuration options that Postfix provides?

            This is where I would start looking;

            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
            http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
            http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

            And what Ram suggested;
            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

            Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
            template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
            you need?

            Cya,
            Jona

            --

            > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
            >> You can enable soft bounce. So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
            >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
            >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
            >>

            >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
            >>> Any idea?

          • Wael MANAI
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
              Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

              Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 11:50 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
              On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

              > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

              Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
              related configuration options that Postfix provides?

              This is where I would start looking;

              http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
              http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

              http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
              http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

              http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

              And what Ram suggested;
              http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

              Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
              template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
              you need?

              Cya,
              Jona

              --

              > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
              >> You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
              >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
              >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
              >>

              >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
              >>> Any idea?

            • Wael MANAI
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
                I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

                Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
                Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 11:50 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

                > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

                Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                related configuration options that Postfix provides?

                This is where I would start looking;

                http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

                http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

                http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

                And what Ram suggested;
                http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

                Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                you need?

                Cya,
                Jona

                --

                > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
                >> You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
                >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
                >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
                >>

                >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
                >>> Any idea?

              • DTNX Postmaster
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
                  On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:

                  > I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

                  Which parameter value are you trying to modify?

                  Cya,
                  Jona

                  --

                  > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
                  >> Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                  >>> Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                  >>> related configuration options that Postfix provides?
                  >>>
                  >>> This is where I would start looking;
                  >>>

                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html
                  >>>

                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html
                  >>>

                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                  >>>

                  >>> And what Ram suggested;
                  >>>
                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce
                  >>>

                  >>> Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                  >>> template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                  >>> you need?
                  >>>
                  >>> Cya,
                  >>> Jona
                  >>>
                  >>> --

                • Wael MANAI
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
                    MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID

                    thx

                    Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 13:51 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                    On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:

                    > I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

                    Which parameter value are you trying to modify?

                    Cya,
                    Jona

                    --

                    > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
                    >> Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                    >>> Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                    >>> related configuration options that Postfix provides?
                    >>>
                    >>> This is where I would start looking;
                    >>>

                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html
                    >>>

                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html
                    >>>

                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                    >>>

                    >>> And what Ram suggested;
                    >>>
                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce
                    >>>

                    >>> Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                    >>> template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                    >>> you need?
                    >>>
                    >>> Cya,
                    >>> Jona
                    >>>
                    >>> --

                  • DTNX Postmaster
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
                      On Jun 5, 2012, at 16:04, Wael MANAI wrote:

                      > MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID

                      First, read up: http://www.google.com/search?q=top+posting

                      Then have another look at the documentation;

                      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#header_checks
                      http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html

                      With 'internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce' and the header_checks,
                      you might be able to redirect your message, feed it to whatever
                      software generates the 'X-Mms-Transaction-ID' for you, and then
                      reinsert it for delivery.

                      If the transaction ID is the same for all messages it might even be
                      as easy as using a 'PREPEND' or 'REPLACE'.

                      Cya,
                      Jona

                      --

                      > Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 13:51 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                      >> On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.
                      >
                      > Which parameter value are you trying to modify?
                      >
                      > Cya,
                      > Jona
                    • Wael MANAI
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                        with internal_mail_filter_classes and header_checks I can redirect the message to my software in order to change X-Mms-Transaction-ID parameter. But when I send the mailer-daemon with the good parameter, the message loops.

                        Here are my settings:
                        In main.cf:
                        internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce
                        header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix_out/header_checks

                        in /etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                        /^From: *MAILER-DAEMON/ FILTER mail-postfix:

                        BR

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                          On 6/12/2012 11:47 AM, Wael MANAI wrote:
                          > with internal_mail_filter_classes and header_checks I can redirect
                          > the message to my software in order to change X-Mms-Transaction-ID
                          > parameter. But when I send the mailer-daemon with the good
                          > parameter, the message loops.
                          >
                          > Here are my settings:
                          > In main.cf:
                          > internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce
                          > header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                          >
                          > in /etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                          > /^From: *MAILER-DAEMON/ FILTER mail-postfix:

                          you need to turn off header_checks in your mail-postfix transport.
                          see the archives for details.

                          -- Noel Jones

                          > BR
                          >
                          > Le mardi 05 juin 2012 à 23:28 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                          >> On Jun 5, 2012, at 16:04, Wael MANAI wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID
                          >>

                          >> First, read up: http://www.google.com/search?q=top+posting
                          >>
                          >> Then have another look at the documentation;
                          >>
                          >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                          >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#header_checks
                          >> http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html
                          >>
                          >> With 'internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce' and the header_checks,
                          >> you might be able to redirect your message, feed it to whatever
                          >> software generates the 'X-Mms-Transaction-ID' for you, and then
                          >> reinsert it for delivery.
                          >>
                          >> If the transaction ID is the same for all messages it might even be
                          >> as easy as using a 'PREPEND' or 'REPLACE'.
                          >>
                          >> Cya,
                          >> Jona
                          >>
                          >> --

                          >> > Which parameter value are you trying to modify?
                          >> >
                          >> > Cya,
                          >> > Jona

                        • Wael MANAI
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                            Hi,

                            Just to thank everybody, now I received all the mailer-daemon and I can control the messages sent.