turn off mailer daemon returns

  • Wael MANAI
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2012
      Hi everybody,

      I would like to know if it's possible to prevent postfix to NOT send a MAILER DAEMON email back to the sender if something is wrong?

      thanks in advance,
    • Wael MANAI

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
          Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

          I hope my explanations clear,

          thx

          Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 09:19 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt a écrit :
          * Wael MANAI <wael.manai@...>:
          > Any idea?
          >
          > Le jeudi 31 mai 2012 à 17:49 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
          >
          > > Hi everybody,
          > >
          > > I would like to know if it's possible to prevent postfix to NOT send a
          > > MAILER DAEMON email back to the sender if something is wrong?

          Why is your server bouncing mails? Please show an example

        • Ram
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
            You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
            But I am not sure really want to do this.
            Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
              > Any idea?
              >
              > Le jeudi 31 mai 2012 ? 17:49 +0200, Wael MANAI a ?crit :
              >
              > > Hi everybody,
              > >
              > > I would like to know if it's possible to prevent postfix to NOT send a
              > > MAILER DAEMON email back to the sender if something is wrong?

              Yes. People who want to turn off error reports usually have a
              different problem that they don't want to fix.

              I suggest that you fix the right problem.

              Wietse
            • Wael MANAI

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
                  On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

                  > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

                  Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                  related configuration options that Postfix provides?

                  This is where I would start looking;

                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                  http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                  http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

                  And what Ram suggested;
                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

                  Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                  template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                  you need?

                  Cya,
                  Jona

                  --

                  > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
                  >> You can enable soft bounce. So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
                  >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
                  >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
                  >>

                  >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
                  >>> Any idea?

                • Wael MANAI
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2012
                    Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                    Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 11:50 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                    On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

                    > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

                    Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                    related configuration options that Postfix provides?

                    This is where I would start looking;

                    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                    http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

                    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                    http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

                    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

                    And what Ram suggested;
                    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

                    Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                    template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                    you need?

                    Cya,
                    Jona

                    --

                    > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
                    >> You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
                    >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
                    >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
                    >>

                    >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
                    >>> Any idea?

                  • Wael MANAI
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
                      I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

                      Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
                      Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                      Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 11:50 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                      On Jun 1, 2012, at 09:49, Wael MANAI wrote:

                      > Well, I use postfix for MMS sending (MM4 protocol which is based on SMTP). I am working on a hub system i.e I received MMS from one GSM operator, I do some adaptations and I forward the MMS to the destination. Sometimes for example the recipient may be rejected by the remote mailer so I need to intercept this mailer daemon (done) in order to modify some MM4 parameters then send it to the origin. The problem is the recipient of the mailer daemon receives 2 mails: one correct sent by my application, another incorrect sent by postfix. So I want to block the mail sent by postfix.

                      Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                      related configuration options that Postfix provides?

                      This is where I would start looking;

                      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                      http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html

                      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                      http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html

                      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes

                      And what Ram suggested;
                      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce

                      Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                      template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                      you need?

                      Cya,
                      Jona

                      --

                      > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 13:13 +0530, Ram a écrit :
                      >> You can enable soft bounce.  So NDR mails will be pending in the queue
                      >> But I am not sure really want to do this.
                      >> Why should you not notify senders of delivery failures ? What is the real problem you want to solve ?
                      >>

                      >> On 06/01/2012 12:36 PM, Wael MANAI wrote:
                      >>> Any idea?

                    • DTNX Postmaster
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
                        On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:

                        > I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

                        Which parameter value are you trying to modify?

                        Cya,
                        Jona

                        --

                        > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
                        >> Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                        >>> Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                        >>> related configuration options that Postfix provides?
                        >>>
                        >>> This is where I would start looking;
                        >>>

                        >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                        >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html
                        >>>

                        >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                        >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html
                        >>>

                        >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                        >>>

                        >>> And what Ram suggested;
                        >>>
                        >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce
                        >>>

                        >>> Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                        >>> template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                        >>> you need?
                        >>>
                        >>> Cya,
                        >>> Jona
                        >>>
                        >>> --

                      • Wael MANAI
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
                          MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID

                          thx

                          Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 13:51 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                          On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:

                          > I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.

                          Which parameter value are you trying to modify?

                          Cya,
                          Jona

                          --

                          > Le vendredi 01 juin 2012 à 15:09 +0200, Wael MANAI a écrit :
                          >> Thank you Jona, i am gona see your links

                          >>> Hmm, not familiar with MM4, but have you looked at the various bounce
                          >>> related configuration options that Postfix provides?
                          >>>
                          >>> This is where I would start looking;
                          >>>

                          >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_service_name
                          >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.8.html
                          >>>

                          >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#bounce_template_file
                          >>> http://www.postfix.org/bounce.5.html
                          >>>

                          >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                          >>>

                          >>> And what Ram suggested;
                          >>>
                          >>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce
                          >>>

                          >>> Perhaps it's possible to use a custom bounce service, a custom bounce
                          >>> template, or something similar, and have Postfix generate the format
                          >>> you need?
                          >>>
                          >>> Cya,
                          >>> Jona
                          >>>
                          >>> --

                        • DTNX Postmaster
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
                            On Jun 5, 2012, at 16:04, Wael MANAI wrote:

                            > MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID

                            First, read up: http://www.google.com/search?q=top+posting

                            Then have another look at the documentation;

                            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#header_checks
                            http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html

                            With 'internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce' and the header_checks,
                            you might be able to redirect your message, feed it to whatever
                            software generates the 'X-Mms-Transaction-ID' for you, and then
                            reinsert it for delivery.

                            If the transaction ID is the same for all messages it might even be
                            as easy as using a 'PREPEND' or 'REPLACE'.

                            Cya,
                            Jona

                            --

                            > Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 13:51 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                            >> On Jun 4, 2012, at 10:31, Wael MANAI wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I read the links and tried some configuration modifications with soft_bounce and internal_mail_filter_classes parameters but the notification is still sent to sender. I need to intercept this message in order to modify one parameter value before sending it.
                            >
                            > Which parameter value are you trying to modify?
                            >
                            > Cya,
                            > Jona
                          • Wael MANAI
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                              with internal_mail_filter_classes and header_checks I can redirect the message to my software in order to change X-Mms-Transaction-ID parameter. But when I send the mailer-daemon with the good parameter, the message loops.

                              Here are my settings:
                              In main.cf:
                              internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce
                              header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix_out/header_checks

                              in /etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                              /^From: *MAILER-DAEMON/ FILTER mail-postfix:

                              BR

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                                On 6/12/2012 11:47 AM, Wael MANAI wrote:
                                > with internal_mail_filter_classes and header_checks I can redirect
                                > the message to my software in order to change X-Mms-Transaction-ID
                                > parameter. But when I send the mailer-daemon with the good
                                > parameter, the message loops.
                                >
                                > Here are my settings:
                                > In main.cf:
                                > internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce
                                > header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                                >
                                > in /etc/postfix_out/header_checks
                                > /^From: *MAILER-DAEMON/ FILTER mail-postfix:

                                you need to turn off header_checks in your mail-postfix transport.
                                see the archives for details.

                                -- Noel Jones

                                > BR
                                >
                                > Le mardi 05 juin 2012 à 23:28 +0200, DTNX Postmaster a écrit :
                                >> On Jun 5, 2012, at 16:04, Wael MANAI wrote:
                                >>
                                >> > MM4 parameter X-Mms-Transaction-ID
                                >>

                                >> First, read up: http://www.google.com/search?q=top+posting
                                >>
                                >> Then have another look at the documentation;
                                >>
                                >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#internal_mail_filter_classes
                                >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#header_checks
                                >> http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html
                                >>
                                >> With 'internal_mail_filter_classes = bounce' and the header_checks,
                                >> you might be able to redirect your message, feed it to whatever
                                >> software generates the 'X-Mms-Transaction-ID' for you, and then
                                >> reinsert it for delivery.
                                >>
                                >> If the transaction ID is the same for all messages it might even be
                                >> as easy as using a 'PREPEND' or 'REPLACE'.
                                >>
                                >> Cya,
                                >> Jona
                                >>
                                >> --

                                >> > Which parameter value are you trying to modify?
                                >> >
                                >> > Cya,
                                >> > Jona

                              • Wael MANAI
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
                                  Hi,

                                  Just to thank everybody, now I received all the mailer-daemon and I can control the messages sent.