postmaster required / close port 25

  • Georg Schönweger
    Message 1 of 13 , May 23, 2012
      Hi,

      i have a postfix server which is only used for sending emails to the
      outside, no incoming emails are allowed (no MX record). I recently
      opened port 587 in master.cf and now i'm asking myself if it is ok to
      close port 25 completely?
      AFAIK every mail server should accept incoming mails to
      postmaster@myserver, but when i close port 25 this is not the case
      anymore, isn't it?

      and another question regarding port 25;
      when my postfix server generates a bounce message (which happens when
      sending a mail to non existend address) and sends it back to the
      originally envelope sender, he uses "From: MAILER-DAEMON@..."
      as sender of the bounce message. Does MAILER-DAEMON@... has to
      be an existend mail account?
      We recently had problems that on MX site of our email addresses (hosted
      by a company) they rejected some of the bounce mails generated by my
      server. Log shows following;
      "status=bounced (host mx.myEmailHostedByCompany.tld[IP.IP.IP.IP] said:
      550 5.1.0 CfoC1j00P08HtnS01foCNg dominio non valido / invalid domain (in
      reply to MAIL FROM command))"

      So i'm asking myself does this error message mean that
      MAILER-DAEMON@... has to be existend (so i have to keep port 25
      open on my server and see if this account is ok)? Does myserver.tld need
      to have a MX record as well in order to avoid the problem?

      As far as i understand this error message means that the envelope sender
      (which is empty (<>) for bounce mails) is not valid, which is nonsense
      because every bounce message has an empty envelope sender.

      kind regards,
      Georg
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 13 , May 23, 2012
        Am 23.05.2012 17:55, schrieb Georg Schönweger:
        > Hi,
        >
        > i have a postfix server which is only used for sending emails to the
        > outside, no incoming emails are allowed (no MX record). I recently
        > opened port 587 in master.cf and now i'm asking myself if it is ok to
        > close port 25 completely?
        >
        > AFAIK every mail server should accept incoming mails to
        > postmaster@myserver, but when i close port 25 this is not the case
        > anymore, isn't it?

        no - every MX has to accept it

        internal mail relays usually does not allow any
        connection from the WAN, but since they do not
        accept any incoming mail directly this is OK
        Message 3 of 13 , May 23, 2012
          Georg Sch?nweger:
          > Hi,
          >
          > i have a postfix server which is only used for sending emails to the
          > outside, no incoming emails are allowed (no MX record). I recently
          > opened port 587 in master.cf and now i'm asking myself if it is ok to
          > close port 25 completely?
          > AFAIK every mail server should accept incoming mails to
          > postmaster@myserver, but when i close port 25 this is not the case
          > anymore, isn't it?

          Every domain should have a working postmaster address. That does
          not mean that every MTA should have port 25 open to the Internet.

          It is quote normal for larger sites to have different MTAs for
          inbound and outbound mail streams.

          > and another question regarding port 25;
          > when my postfix server generates a bounce message (which happens when
          > sending a mail to non existend address) and sends it back to the
          > originally envelope sender, he uses "From: MAILER-DAEMON@..."
          > as sender of the bounce message. Does MAILER-DAEMON@... has to

          It is your responsibility to ensure that Postfix sends such mail
          with the correct domain name. See
          http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin

          Wietse
        • Georg Schönweger
          Message 4 of 13 , May 23, 2012
            Am 23.05.2012 19:08, schrieb Wietse Venema:
            >> and another question regarding port 25;
            >> when my postfix server generates a bounce message (which happens when
            >> sending a mail to non existend address) and sends it back to the
            >> originally envelope sender, he uses "From: MAILER-DAEMON@..."
            >> as sender of the bounce message. Does MAILER-DAEMON@... has to
            >
            > It is your responsibility to ensure that Postfix sends such mail
            > with the correct domain name. See
            > http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin
            >
            > Wietse

            What does "correct domain name" mean? Currently im using "myserver.tld"
            as domain name which has an A-Record pointing to my server (and a
            reverse dns record as well). Do i have to allow incoming mail on this
            domain too? (atleast for MAILER-DAEMON@ and postmaster@)

            kind regards,
            Georg
          • Reindl Harald
            Message 5 of 13 , May 23, 2012
              Am 23.05.2012 19:35, schrieb Georg Schönweger:
              > Am 23.05.2012 19:08, schrieb Wietse Venema:
              >>> and another question regarding port 25;
              >>> when my postfix server generates a bounce message (which happens when
              >>> sending a mail to non existend address) and sends it back to the
              >>> originally envelope sender, he uses "From: MAILER-DAEMON@..."
              >>> as sender of the bounce message. Does MAILER-DAEMON@... has to
              >>
              >> It is your responsibility to ensure that Postfix sends such mail
              >> with the correct domain name. See
              >> http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin
              >>
              >> Wietse
              >>

              > What does "correct domain name" mean? Currently im using "myserver.tld"
              > as domain name which has an A-Record pointing to my server (and a
              > reverse dns record as well). Do i have to allow incoming mail on this
              > domain too? (atleast for MAILER-DAEMON@ and postmaster@)

              you have simply to use your PUBLIC, official domain name

              if you send with "@..." there has to be ANY mailserver
              accepting a) this domain and b) this specific sender address

              you must not send mails with a non-working sender domain
              becasue a) you violate RFCs and b) servers with sender-verification
              will never accept such messages
              Message 6 of 13 , May 23, 2012
                Georg Sch?nweger:
                > Am 23.05.2012 19:08, schrieb Wietse Venema:
                > >> and another question regarding port 25;
                > >> when my postfix server generates a bounce message (which happens when
                > >> sending a mail to non existend address) and sends it back to the
                > >> originally envelope sender, he uses "From: MAILER-DAEMON@..."
                > >> as sender of the bounce message. Does MAILER-DAEMON@... has to
                > >
                > > It is your responsibility to ensure that Postfix sends such mail
                > > with the correct domain name. See
                > > http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin
                > >
                > What does "correct domain name" mean? Currently im using "myserver.tld"
                > as domain name which has an A-Record pointing to my server (and a
                > reverse dns record as well). Do i have to allow incoming mail on this
                > domain too? (atleast for MAILER-DAEMON@ and postmaster@)

                Specify a domain name with a working postmaster address! Rarely
                does one send email as username@the-name-of-this-box.

                Wietse
              • Georg Schönweger
                Message 7 of 13 , May 23, 2012
                  Am 23.05.2012 19:40, schrieb Reindl Harald:

                  >>> It is your responsibility to ensure that Postfix sends such mail
                  >>> with the correct domain name. See
                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#myorigin
                  >>>
                  >>> Wietse
                  >>>

                  >> What does "correct domain name" mean? Currently im using "myserver.tld"
                  >> as domain name which has an A-Record pointing to my server (and a
                  >> reverse dns record as well). Do i have to allow incoming mail on this
                  >> domain too? (atleast for MAILER-DAEMON@ and postmaster@)
                  >
                  > you have simply to use your PUBLIC, official domain name
                  >
                  > if you send with "@..." there has to be ANY mailserver
                  > accepting a) this domain and b) this specific sender address
                  >
                  > you must not send mails with a non-working sender domain
                  > becasue a) you violate RFCs and b) servers with sender-verification
                  > will never accept such messages

                  so sender-verification will not only check if the domain is "valid"
                  (A-Record), but also if the server accepts mails for the specific sender
                  address (e.g. MAILER-DAEMON@...)?
                  If i change now to our public domain name (hosted by a company) do i
                  have to create a MAILER-DAEMON account?

                  kind regards,
                  Georg
                • /dev/rob0
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 23, 2012
                    On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 05:55:03PM +0200, Georg Schönweger wrote:
                    > i have a postfix server which is only used for sending emails to
                    > the outside, no incoming emails are allowed (no MX record). I
                    > recently opened port 587 in master.cf and now i'm asking myself
                    > if it is ok to close port 25 completely?
                    > AFAIK every mail server should accept incoming mails to
                    > postmaster@myserver, but when i close port 25 this is not the
                    > case anymore, isn't it?

                    All mail exchange happens on port 25. If an Internet domain doesn't
                    have an MTA somewhere accepting mail for it on port 25, it will not
                    receive mail.

                    > and another question regarding port 25;
                    > when my postfix server generates a bounce message (which happens when
                    > sending a mail to non existend address) and sends it back to the
                    > originally envelope sender, he uses "From: MAILER-DAEMON@..."
                    > as sender of the bounce message. Does MAILER-DAEMON@... has to
                    > be an existend mail account?

                    You will find that mailer-daemon is a standard alias. It is probably
                    in your /etc/aliases unless you removed it.

                    > We recently had problems that on MX site of our email addresses
                    > (hosted by a company) they rejected some of the bounce mails
                    > generated by my server. Log shows following;
                    > "status=bounced (host mx.myEmailHostedByCompany.tld[IP.IP.IP.IP]
                    > said: 550 5.1.0 CfoC1j00P08HtnS01foCNg dominio non valido / invalid
                    > domain (in reply to MAIL FROM command))"

                    You did not show the complete logging for that mail. You say it was a
                    bounce. If so, your hosting company may have a problem. Since, as one
                    might presume, you are paying them for service, you should contact
                    them now for support.

                    Another thing that occurs to me is that they don't want to relay
                    backscatter. If that's what happened, it's quite understandable, but
                    the error message is misleading / wrong. If you have a backscatter
                    problem, you need to fix that.

                    > So i'm asking myself does this error message mean that
                    > MAILER-DAEMON@... has to be existend

                    It says, "in reply to MAIL FROM command". If as you say it was a
                    bounce, then no, it probably has nothing to do with whether or not
                    myserver.tld resolves. They have not yet seen the From: header at
                    this point in SMTP.

                    > (so i have to keep port 25 open on my server and see if this
                    > account is ok)? Does myserver.tld need to have a MX record as well
                    > in order to avoid the problem?

                    This is all up to you, but yet, in general any domain which is used
                    as sender in email should have an MTA somewhere accepting mail for it
                    on port 25. If you don't want this hosted on the machine with the A
                    record "myserver.tld", you can make an MX record for that name
                    pointing to the desired host.

                    > As far as i understand this error message means that the envelope
                    > sender (which is empty (<>) for bounce mails) is not valid, which
                    > is nonsense because every bounce message has an empty envelope
                    > sender.

                    Correct.
                  • Reindl Harald
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 23, 2012
                      Am 23.05.2012 19:55, schrieb Georg Schönweger:
                      >> you must not send mails with a non-working sender domain
                      >> becasue a) you violate RFCs and b) servers with sender-verification
                      >> will never accept such messages
                      >>

                      > so sender-verification will not only check if the domain is "valid"

                      since sender is a full qualified address no it would
                      not only check the domain because "ererererere@..."
                      is NOT a valid SENDER while "thelounge.net" is a valid DOMAIN

                      > (A-Record), but also if the server accepts mails for the specific sender
                      > address (e.g. MAILER-DAEMON@...)?
                      > If i change now to our public domain name (hosted by a company) do i
                      > have to create a MAILER-DAEMON account?

                      the question is wrong

                      you need to make sure that your MX accepts incoming mail
                      to whatever address you are using as sender - this is a
                      really simple thing with no if's
                    • Georg Schönweger
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 25, 2012
                        Am 23.05.2012 20:00, schrieb /dev/rob0:
> [...]
                        > bounce, then no, it probably has nothing to do with whether or not
                        > myserver.tld resolves. They have not yet seen the From: header at
                        > this point in SMTP.
                        >
                        >> (so i have to keep port 25 open on my server and see if this
                        >> account is ok)? Does myserver.tld need to have a MX record as well
                        >> in order to avoid the problem?
                        >
                        > This is all up to you, but yet, in general any domain which is used
                        > as sender in email should have an MTA somewhere accepting mail for it
                        > on port 25. If you don't want this hosted on the machine with the A
                        > record "myserver.tld", you can make an MX record for that name
                        > pointing to the desired host.
                        >
                        >> As far as i understand this error message means that the envelope
                        >> sender (which is empty (<>) for bounce mails) is not valid, which
                        >> is nonsense because every bounce message has an empty envelope

                        First of all thanks to all of you for your constructive input!
                        I changed now "myorigin" to our main domain which is hosted external. As
                        this domain has a catch all mail address every sender of my Postfix
                        server should be valid now (can receive mails).
                        Port 25 is closed now.

                        But the problem with rejected bounce mails still remains;
                        If i send a mail with sender mymail@... via my postfix server to
                        a non existing address a bounce mail will be generated.
                        mymail@... is hosted by a company. Sometimes they reject the
                        bounce mail. Full log;

                        May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/cleanup[9312]: AAC41CACB54:
                        message-id=<4FBFB9EC.7040300@...>
                        May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: AAC41CACB54:
                        from=<mymail@...>, size=1526, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                        May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/smtp[9313]: AAC41CACB54:
                        to=<asdfdasf@...>, relay=none, delay=0.15, delays=0.15/0/0/0,
                        dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service
                        error for name=dasfdasf.asd type=AAAA: Host not found)
                        May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/cleanup[9312]: C67A9CACCAE:
                        message-id=<20120525165707.C67A9CACCAE@my-postfix-server>
                        May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/bounce[9314]: AAC41CACB54: sender
                        non-delivery notification: C67A9CACCAE
                        May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: C67A9CACCAE: from=<>,
                        size=3549, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                        May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: AAC41CACB54: removed
                        May 25 18:57:08 susi2 postfix/smtp[9313]: certificate verification
                        failed for mx.domain.tld[IP.OF.OUR.PROVIDER]:25: untrusted issuer
                        /C=US/O=RTFM, Inc./OU=Widgets Division/CN=Test CA20010517
                        May 25 18:57:08 susi2 postfix/smtp[9313]: C67A9CACCAE:
                        to=<mymail@...>, relay=mx.domain.tld[IP.OF.OUR.PROVIDER]:25,
                        delay=0.44, delays=0/0/0.38/0.05, dsn=5.1.0, status=bounced (host
                        mx.domain.tld[IP.OF.OUR.PROVIDER] said: 550 5.1.0 EGx71j00D08HtnS01Gx7D1
                        dominio non valido / invalid domain (in reply to MAIL FROM command))
                        May 25 18:57:08 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: C67A9CACCAE: removed

                        Could this be a backscatter problem? I read a little bit about
                        backscatter, but i have no idea how tho check and fix this.

                        kind reagards,
                        Georg
                      • Charles Marcus
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 25, 2012
                          On 2012-05-25 1:22 PM, Georg Schönweger <georg@...> wrote:
                          > As this domain has a catch all mail address every sender of my
                          > Postfix server should be valid now (can receive mails).

                          Please do NOT use catch-all addresses, as that breaks recipient
                          validation... anyone who sends an email to one of your users and typos
                          their address will not know it...

                          Catch-alls are *always* a very bad idea, except in very specific special
                          use cases...

                          --

                          Best regards,

                          Charles
                        • Reindl Harald
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 25, 2012
                            Am 25.05.2012 19:37, schrieb Charles Marcus:
                            > On 2012-05-25 1:22 PM, Georg Schönweger <georg@...> wrote:
                            >> As this domain has a catch all mail address every sender of my
                            >> Postfix server should be valid now (can receive mails).
                            >
                            > Please do NOT use catch-all addresses, as that breaks recipient validation... anyone who sends an email to one of
                            > your users and typos their address will not know it...
                            >
                            > Catch-alls are *always* a very bad idea, except in very specific special use cases...

                            and they are playing spammers in their hand

                            i am seeing here around 50000 spam-mails to non-existent
                            RCPT in valid domains - if there would be catch-all we
                            would have two problems

                            the second only in the worst case they pass the spam-firewall

                            * 200 OK to the spammer which feels sucess and earn money
                            * 1.5 Mio messages to store and backup each month
                          • /dev/rob0
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 25, 2012
                              On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 07:22:47PM +0200, Georg Schönweger wrote:
                              > I changed now "myorigin" to our main domain which is hosted
                              > external. As this domain has a catch all mail address every sender
                              > of my Postfix server should be valid now (can receive mails).
                              > Port 25 is closed now.
                              >
                              > But the problem with rejected bounce mails still remains; If i
                              > send a mail with sender mymail@... via my postfix server
                              > to a non existing address a bounce mail will be generated.

                              This is proper.

                              > mymail@... is hosted by a company. Sometimes they reject
                              > the bounce mail. Full log;
                              >
                              > May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/cleanup[9312]: AAC41CACB54:
                              > message-id=<4FBFB9EC.7040300@...>

                              cleanup(8) is never the first logging for a message received; it
                              would be either pickup(8) or smtpd(8). But no matter. You did
                              describe the issue well enough.

                              > May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: AAC41CACB54:
                              > from=<mymail@...>, size=1526, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                              > May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/smtp[9313]: AAC41CACB54:
                              > to=<asdfdasf@...>, relay=none, delay=0.15, delays=0.15/0/0/0,
                              > dsn=5.4.4, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service
                              > error for name=dasfdasf.asd type=AAAA: Host not found)
                              > May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/cleanup[9312]: C67A9CACCAE:
                              > message-id=<20120525165707.C67A9CACCAE@my-postfix-server>
                              > May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/bounce[9314]: AAC41CACB54: sender
                              > non-delivery notification: C67A9CACCAE
                              > May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: C67A9CACCAE: from=<>,
                              > size=3549, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                              > May 25 18:57:07 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: AAC41CACB54: removed
                              > May 25 18:57:08 susi2 postfix/smtp[9313]: certificate verification
                              > failed for mx.domain.tld[IP.OF.OUR.PROVIDER]:25: untrusted issuer
                              > /C=US/O=RTFM, Inc./OU=Widgets Division/CN=Test CA20010517
                              > May 25 18:57:08 susi2 postfix/smtp[9313]: C67A9CACCAE:
                              > to=<mymail@...>, relay=mx.domain.tld[IP.OF.OUR.PROVIDER]:25,
                              > delay=0.44, delays=0/0/0.38/0.05, dsn=5.1.0, status=bounced (host
                              > mx.domain.tld[IP.OF.OUR.PROVIDER] said: 550 5.1.0 EGx71j00D08HtnS01Gx7D1
                              > dominio non valido / invalid domain (in reply to MAIL FROM command))
                              > May 25 18:57:08 susi2 postfix/qmgr[9014]: C67A9CACCAE: removed

                              Your provider doesn't want to accept these bounces, for whatever
                              reason they might have. Yes, their rejection message is wrong.

                              > Could this be a backscatter problem? I read a little bit about
                              > backscatter, but i have no idea how tho check and fix this.

                              If you're only sending these bounces to your own address[es], you are
                              not a backscatterer. If you're sending bounces everywhere, you might
                              be. From what you have said here, I doubt it is backscatter.

                              Perhaps you want to use another sender domain, one you control and
                              host, to receive your bounces. Or, as suggested upthread, consult
                              with the provider about their policy.