Re: virtual mailboxes BUT NOT virtual domain

  • lst_hoe02@kwsoft.de
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2012
      Zitat von The Eye <mhellwig@...>:

      > On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 07:05:03AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
      >> Michael Hellwig:
      >> > I've been butting my head against this one for quite some time now.
      >>
      >> You might want to read this document:
      >>
      >> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
      >>
      >> This decribes what is needed to avoid "user unknown" and "relay access
      >> denied" errors.
      >>
      >> After this, setting up a suitable virtual_transport in main.cf
      >> becomes a minor detail.
      >>

      > Well maybe I'm really dense now, but when I look at that document, I
      > still see that virtual mailboxes are supposed to be on their own domain,
      > NOT on the same domain as the local users, given that the distinction
      > between the two types of mailboxes is made via the domain?
      >
      > Or do I misunderstand something?

      If you want to mix local and virtual delivery in the same "external"
      maildomain you have to split them and rewrite the mail routing
      information in the envelope. Something like this for example

      user1@domain -> virtual1@domain
      user2@domain -> local1@...

      and route the mail with transport maps as intended.

      Regards

      Andreas
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2012
        lst_hoe02@...:
        > > On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 07:05:03AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
        > >> Michael Hellwig:
        > >>
        > >> You might want to read this document:
        > >>
        > >> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
        > >>
        > >> This decribes what is needed to avoid "user unknown" and "relay access
        > >> denied" errors.
        > >>
        > >> After this, setting up a suitable virtual_transport in main.cf
        > >> becomes a minor detail.
        > >>

        > > Well maybe I'm really dense now, but when I look at that document, I
        > > still see that virtual mailboxes are supposed to be on their own domain,
        > > NOT on the same domain as the local users, given that the distinction
        > > between the two types of mailboxes is made via the domain?
        > >
        > > Or do I misunderstand something?
        >
        > If you want to mix local and virtual delivery in the same "external"
        > maildomain you have to split them and rewrite the mail routing
        > information in the envelope. Something like this for example
        >
        > user1@domain -> virtual1@domain
        > user2@domain -> local1@...
        >
        > and route the mail with transport maps as intended.

        More complete:

        1) To avoid "relay access denied" errors, decide if the domain is
        in the local class (mydestination) or in some other address class
        as defined in ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

        2) To avoid "user unknown" errors, provide the recipient address
        validation as required by ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

        3) Optionally, use transport_maps to redirect some recipients as
        in your example.