notification messages

  • Amira Othman
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26 8:46 AM
      Hi all
      I am working on project that requires notification messages of delivery not
      to be sent to users. I asked before and you told me that it's not good idea
      to disable notifications so what I need now is to redirect all notifications
      for each domain to certain account and not to the actual sender. I tried
      header checks with null return path and other header info that is sent with
      notification but not working. I also tried virtual maps but it works for
      each individual user. I have 3 postfix instances running on same host, two
      of these instances are for two separate domains so what I need is to collect
      all notification messages (bounces) generated by each instance in one
      mailbox. How can I do that?

      regards
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 26 9:10 AM
        On 4/26/2012 10:46 AM, Amira Othman wrote:
        > Hi all
        > I am working on project that requires notification messages of delivery not
        > to be sent to users. I asked before and you told me that it's not good idea
        > to disable notifications so what I need now is to redirect all notifications
        > for each domain to certain account and not to the actual sender. I tried
        > header checks with null return path and other header info that is sent with
        > notification but not working. I also tried virtual maps but it works for
        > each individual user. I have 3 postfix instances running on same host, two
        > of these instances are for two separate domains so what I need is to collect
        > all notification messages (bounces) generated by each instance in one
        > mailbox. How can I do that?
        >
        > regards

        Please describe the actual problem rather than asking how to
        implement a broken solution.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Amira Othman
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27 5:08 AM
          On 4/26/2012 10:46 AM, Amira Othman wrote:
          > Hi all
          > I am working on project that requires notification messages of delivery
          not
          > to be sent to users. I asked before and you told me that it's not good
          idea
          > to disable notifications so what I need now is to redirect all
          notifications
          > for each domain to certain account and not to the actual sender. I tried
          > header checks with null return path and other header info that is sent
          with
          > notification but not working. I also tried virtual maps but it works for
          > each individual user. I have 3 postfix instances running on same host, two
          > of these instances are for two separate domains so what I need is to
          collect
          > all notification messages (bounces) generated by each instance in one
          > mailbox. How can I do that?
          >
          > regards

          Please describe the actual problem rather than asking how to
          implement a broken solution.

          I need to prevent all notification messages of a domain from being sent to
          outside users that sends mail through postfix. Because the application that
          push mails already handles bounces so no need of notification to be sent
          again to the actual sender

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 27 6:33 AM
            Amira Othman:
            > I need to prevent all notification messages of a domain from being sent to
            > outside users that sends mail through postfix. Because the application that
            > push mails already handles bounces so no need of notification to be sent
            > again to the actual sender

            What you describe handles only mail delivery errors during the
            initial application-to-Postfix SMTP transaction.

            What you describe DOES NOT handle the delivery errors that will
            happen AFTER the initial SMTP transaction.

            To control the path of non-delivery notifications, the proper
            procedure is to set an appropriate envelope sender (SMTP MAIL FROM)
            address.

            You will referred to the correct procedure no matter how many times
            you ask for an incorrect one.

            Wietse
          • Vishal Agarwal
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27 8:38 AM
              Hi,

              Is it possible to send SMS to mobiles via postfix. Any
              help/support/clue will be appereciated.

              Thanks/regards,
              Vishal Agarwal
            • Amira Othman
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30 9:02 AM
                Am 27.04.2012 17:53, schrieb Amira Othman:
                > To control the path of non-delivery notifications, the proper
                > procedure is to set an appropriate envelope sender (SMTP MAIL FROM)
                > address.
                >
                > You will referred to the correct procedure no matter how many times
                > you ask for an incorrect one.
                >
                > Wietse
                >
                > Ok I tried to change envelope sender from postfix configuration added
                > the following
                >
                > mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME
                > -t -f bounce@...
                >
                > but nothing change in log and the notification is sent to the user .
                > is something missing ?

                yes, you are missing basics

                this has NOTHING to do with postfix-configuration the sender/envelope is
                controlled by the application sending mail

                I changes return path from application but it's now writing in log that mail
                from is the same mail for return path which is not correct in my case. How
                can I separate return path and mail from to be different
              • DTNX Postmaster
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2012
                  On Apr 30, 2012, at 18:02, Amira Othman wrote:

                  > I changes return path from application but it's now writing in log that mail
                  > from is the same mail for return path which is not correct in my case. How
                  > can I separate return path and mail from to be different

                  If the application sets both to the same value, you may be able to use the 'sender_canonical_maps' feature to rewrite the envelope sender to an address that is local;

                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#sender_canonical_maps

                  However, if the user of the application that sends the e-mail has control over the 'From:' address, they may reset it to a value that your workaround does not account for. So the preferred solution is to resolve this problem in the application itself, or at the next 'layer' within your application stack.

                  For example, if the application uses PHP, you can force an envelope sender like this;

                  sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix -t -i -r bounce.address@...

                  Where 'server.domain.tld' is your local server, and 'bounce.address' is a working, local account on that server.

                  The application may still specify its own header values, but it will not be able to override the envelope sender, and bounces return to you.

                  Cya,
                  Jona
                • Reindl Harald
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1, 2012
                    Am 30.04.2012 18:02, schrieb Amira Othman:
                    >> this has NOTHING to do with postfix-configuration the sender/envelope is
                    >> controlled by the application sending mail
                    >
                    > I changes return path from application but it's now writing in log that mail
                    > from is the same mail for return path which is not correct in my case. How
                    > can I separate return path and mail from to be different

                    as said in your application

                    "From:" is only a header which does not interest the MTA
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1, 2012
                      DTNX Postmaster:
                      > For example, if the application uses PHP, you can force an envelope sender like this;
                      >
                      > sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix -t -i -r bounce.address@...

                      The envelope sender may also be specified via additional
                      parameters to the mail() function.

                      http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2012
                        Wietse:
                        > > For example, if the application uses PHP, you can force an envelope sender
                        > > like this;
                        > >
                        > > sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix -t -i -r
                        > bounce.address@...
                        >
                        > The envelope sender may also be specified via additional
                        > parameters to the mail() function.
                        >
                        > http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

                        Amira Othman:
                        > My problem is at log file .from address line in log is written as return
                        > path(envelope sender address(bounce address)) which is not correct in my
                        > case and not appearing in the sent message .how can I make from address in
                        > log not envelope sender but to be actual sender

                        The envelope sender address, used in MAIL FROM (SMTP), is used for
                        non-delivery notification as required by the SMTP standard. Postfix
                        will log the envelope sender and recipient addresses, and this will
                        not be changed.

                        So all you need to do is specify the correct envelope sender address.
                        See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_address for a tutorial
                        text on bounce address versus message header addresses.