Postfix Bounce Messages Back & How to Set a Reply to address

  • Steve Ellis
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hello

      I am relatively new to postfix (great product by the way) & am
      struggling with two issues.

      1. Specifying a different Reply To
      2. Bouncing a message back to external incoming mail

      I have setup postfix as a relay for our systems to send messages
      though which then get passed on to a central external mail server.
      All of the mail has to be sent as the same email address in order to
      be emailed using the central external server, I am doing address
      rewrites smtp_generic_maps to converting the internal incoming
      addresses to the single email address that all mail is emailed out
      with. However I only want to write the reply to if the message has
      come from certain servers

      Also external incoming mail is hitting the server but being rejected.
      This was going to our old exchange server, I would like to send a
      message back (assuming the headers are valid & not spam) saying the
      the email domain is no longer valid & they need to update their
      address list.

      Postconf –n
      append_at_myorigin = yes
      append_dot_mydomain = no
      biff = no
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      mydomain = mylocaldomain
      mynetworks = hash:/etc/postfix/mynetworks
      myorigin = relay@mylocaldomain
      readme_directory = no
      relayhost = myrelayserver:123
      smtp_generic_maps = regexp:/etc/postfix/generic
      smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      smtp_sasl_security_options =
      smtp_use_tls = yes
      smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)

      Thank you
      Steve
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2012
        Steve Ellis:
        [ Charset windows-1252 unsupported, converting... ]
        > Hello
        >
        > I am relatively new to postfix (great product by the way) & am
        > struggling with two issues.
        >
        > 1. Specifying a different Reply To
        > 2. Bouncing a message back to external incoming mail
        >
        > I have setup postfix as a relay for our systems to send messages
        > though which then get passed on to a central external mail server.
        > All of the mail has to be sent as the same email address in order to
        > be emailed using the central external server, I am doing address
        > rewrites smtp_generic_maps to converting the internal incoming
        > addresses to the single email address that all mail is emailed out
        > with. However I only want to write the reply to if the message has
        > come from certain servers

        Are you sure you understand the difference between:

        - The bounce address, i.e. the RFC 5321 envelope sender address
        that Internet-compliant MTAs must return undeliverable mail to.

        and

        - The Reply-To: header, i.e. RFC 5322 message header that end-user
        mail agents may react to.

        If the above reads like gobbledygook, then I recommend reading up
        on the the documents that I have referenced above.

        > Also external incoming mail is hitting the server but being rejected.
        > This was going to our old exchange server, I would like to send a
        > message back (assuming the headers are valid & not spam) saying the
        > the email domain is no longer valid & they need to update their
        > address list.

        Don't. By sending email back, you would be harassing innocent people
        (most email is forged) and you would get your systems blacklisted
        as a backscatterer. Getting blacklisted is not good for doing email
        business.

        Instead, configure your Postfix SMTP server to reply with an
        appropriate 5XX reject message. If the email is spam, no-one will
        be hurt. In the unlikely case that the email is real, the sending
        MTA will inform the sender that email was not deliverable, with the
        5XX reject message that you have configured.