Re: Want to Install Postfix but Afraid of Breaking MySQL

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
      On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 03:38:34PM +0000, Robinson, Eric wrote:

      > We only want to install postfix as a null client for sending
      > alerts from our servers. When I try to install postfix, it wants
      > to install mysql-libs-5.1.61-1.el6_2.1 as well. I'm afraid this
      > will break our mysql servers, which are all running MySQL 5.0.77.
      > Will installing postfix break things? If so, is there a way to
      > install postfix without MySQL support? I don't mind building postfix
      > from source if necessary, but I would prefer to install via RPM.

      Install Postfix without MySQL, the Postfix sources from postfix.org
      by default build without mysql support. On Debian systems, the
      MySQL map support is a separate optional module in the packaged
      Postfix.

      On RPM-based systems, you just need to tweak the spec file in
      the SRPM to *not* enable MySQL support. So obtain the SRPM
      that corresponds to your system's Postfix install and build
      it without MySQL.

      If you build Postfix directly from the postfix.org source, you'll
      find that it takes some effort to enable MySQL support, and you'll
      get none by default, which is what you want. But I'd look at the
      SRPM route first.

      Note that Postfix does not install a MySQL server, it just depends
      on client libraries, which are often dependencies of other packages
      on your system (say Perl modules that support MySQL, ...). It is
      likely that your MySQL data server is installed elsewhere, and is
      not going to conflict with the client library package. Of course
      test this on a non-production system, don't take my word for it.

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
        On 02/04/12 06:17, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
        > On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 03:38:34PM +0000, Robinson, Eric wrote:
        >
        >> We only want to install postfix as a null client for sending
        >> alerts from our servers. When I try to install postfix, it wants
        >> to install mysql-libs-5.1.61-1.el6_2.1 as well. I'm afraid this
        >> will break our mysql servers, which are all running MySQL 5.0.77.
        >> Will installing postfix break things? If so, is there a way to
        >> install postfix without MySQL support? I don't mind building postfix
        >> from source if necessary, but I would prefer to install via RPM.
        >
        > Install Postfix without MySQL, the Postfix sources from postfix.org
        > by default build without mysql support. On Debian systems, the
        > MySQL map support is a separate optional module in the packaged
        > Postfix.
        >
        > On RPM-based systems, you just need to tweak the spec file in
        > the SRPM to *not* enable MySQL support. So obtain the SRPM
        > that corresponds to your system's Postfix install and build
        > it without MySQL.

        You don't even need to do that, you just need to add a line to your
        .rpmmacros file:
        %MYSQL 0

        > Note that Postfix does not install a MySQL server, it just depends
        > on client libraries, which are often dependencies of other packages
        > on your system (say Perl modules that support MySQL, ...). It is
        > likely that your MySQL data server is installed elsewhere, and is
        > not going to conflict with the client library package. Of course
        > test this on a non-production system, don't take my word for it.

        Fully off-topic advice:

        To be safe from any program trying to install mysql (or the possibility
        that a yum update might try to upgrade mysql) you should exclude mysql*
        from the base and updates repos in yum.

        Peter
      • Robinson, Eric
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
          > you could always just not install postfix, since installing
          > an entire mail server isn't at all necessary to simply send
          > email. i would recommend null client specific software, such
          > as msmtp, instead. among other things, it would likely
          > introduce far fewer packaging considerations.
          >
          > -ben

          I think we will pursue ssmtp as an option.

          --Eric

          Disclaimer - April 2, 2012
          This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for btb@...,postfix-users@.... If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.