RE: Want to Install Postfix but Afraid of Breaking MySQL

  • Robinson, Eric
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 9:04 AM
      > if you are using MySQL 5.0.77 on RHEL/CentOS6 you are NOT
      > using the distribution mysql packages - so you should better
      > consider the CentOS mailing list how to deal with unusual
      > configuration of your system

      We have about 420 instances of MySQL on a bunch of servers, most of them RHEL 5.X. The latest servers are RHEL6, but for the sake of MySQL compatibility across the enterprise we did install the older MySQL on the RHEL6 boxes. Don't be hatin'. :-)

      --Eric

      Disclaimer - April 1, 2012
      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Reindl Harald,postfix-users@.... If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 9:17 AM
        Am 01.04.2012 18:04, schrieb Robinson:
        >> if you are using MySQL 5.0.77 on RHEL/CentOS6 you are NOT
        >> using the distribution mysql packages - so you should better
        >> consider the CentOS mailing list how to deal with unusual
        >> configuration of your system
        >>

        > We have about 420 instances of MySQL on a bunch of servers, most of them RHEL 5.X. The latest servers are RHEL6, but for the sake of MySQL compatibility across the enterprise we did install the older MySQL on the RHEL6 boxes. Don't be hatin'. :-)

        i guessed such case

        but however, it is not a postfix-problem if you are fighting
        with and partly against your package-managment
      • btb@bitrate.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 9:51 AM
          On Apr 01, 2012, at 11.58, Robinson, Eric wrote:

          >> you could always just not install postfix, since installing
          >> an entire mail server isn't at all necessary to simply send
          >> email. i would recommend null client specific software, such
          >> as msmtp, instead. among other things, it would likely
          >> introduce far fewer packaging considerations.
          >>
          > I thought of that. It's just that we have been using postfix in so many different places for years and have it on almost all of our Linux servers. This is the first time I've tried to install postfix and it demanded the MySQL libraries. I was thinking there might be some simple way to disable the need for MySQL. But if not, we can look at another solution.

          that's ok. don't let inertia get the best of things. i like postfix a lot, but i certainly don't apply that as an empirical rationale for using the software. before i had a practical understanding of the value of a simple null client where appropriate, i installed postfix all over the place too. now, instead of installing postfix just because [for some value of just because], i install the appropriate piece of software in the appropriate set of circumstances. most often, it's a simple null client. on occasion, it's postfix, in the role of a null client. it was a change in paradigm, sure, but a positive one, and one i'm glad i made. more importantly, to return to the subject of the thread, it would certainly provide a solution to your problem, without the need to build things from source.

          -ben
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 11:17 AM
            On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 03:38:34PM +0000, Robinson, Eric wrote:

            > We only want to install postfix as a null client for sending
            > alerts from our servers. When I try to install postfix, it wants
            > to install mysql-libs-5.1.61-1.el6_2.1 as well. I'm afraid this
            > will break our mysql servers, which are all running MySQL 5.0.77.
            > Will installing postfix break things? If so, is there a way to
            > install postfix without MySQL support? I don't mind building postfix
            > from source if necessary, but I would prefer to install via RPM.

            Install Postfix without MySQL, the Postfix sources from postfix.org
            by default build without mysql support. On Debian systems, the
            MySQL map support is a separate optional module in the packaged
            Postfix.

            On RPM-based systems, you just need to tweak the spec file in
            the SRPM to *not* enable MySQL support. So obtain the SRPM
            that corresponds to your system's Postfix install and build
            it without MySQL.

            If you build Postfix directly from the postfix.org source, you'll
            find that it takes some effort to enable MySQL support, and you'll
            get none by default, which is what you want. But I'd look at the
            SRPM route first.

            Note that Postfix does not install a MySQL server, it just depends
            on client libraries, which are often dependencies of other packages
            on your system (say Perl modules that support MySQL, ...). It is
            likely that your MySQL data server is installed elsewhere, and is
            not going to conflict with the client library package. Of course
            test this on a non-production system, don't take my word for it.

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1 2:26 PM
              On 02/04/12 06:17, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
              > On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 03:38:34PM +0000, Robinson, Eric wrote:
              >
              >> We only want to install postfix as a null client for sending
              >> alerts from our servers. When I try to install postfix, it wants
              >> to install mysql-libs-5.1.61-1.el6_2.1 as well. I'm afraid this
              >> will break our mysql servers, which are all running MySQL 5.0.77.
              >> Will installing postfix break things? If so, is there a way to
              >> install postfix without MySQL support? I don't mind building postfix
              >> from source if necessary, but I would prefer to install via RPM.
              >
              > Install Postfix without MySQL, the Postfix sources from postfix.org
              > by default build without mysql support. On Debian systems, the
              > MySQL map support is a separate optional module in the packaged
              > Postfix.
              >
              > On RPM-based systems, you just need to tweak the spec file in
              > the SRPM to *not* enable MySQL support. So obtain the SRPM
              > that corresponds to your system's Postfix install and build
              > it without MySQL.

              You don't even need to do that, you just need to add a line to your
              .rpmmacros file:
              %MYSQL 0

              > Note that Postfix does not install a MySQL server, it just depends
              > on client libraries, which are often dependencies of other packages
              > on your system (say Perl modules that support MySQL, ...). It is
              > likely that your MySQL data server is installed elsewhere, and is
              > not going to conflict with the client library package. Of course
              > test this on a non-production system, don't take my word for it.

              Fully off-topic advice:

              To be safe from any program trying to install mysql (or the possibility
              that a yum update might try to upgrade mysql) you should exclude mysql*
              from the base and updates repos in yum.

              Peter
            • Robinson, Eric
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2 8:51 AM
                > you could always just not install postfix, since installing
                > an entire mail server isn't at all necessary to simply send
                > email. i would recommend null client specific software, such
                > as msmtp, instead. among other things, it would likely
                > introduce far fewer packaging considerations.
                >
                > -ben

                I think we will pursue ssmtp as an option.

                --Eric

                Disclaimer - April 2, 2012
                This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for btb@...,postfix-users@.... If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.