Re: smtpd_reject_footer: possible improvement

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
      On 3/29/2012 5:51 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Wietse Venema:
      >> Ralf Hildebrandt:

      >>> Indeed. I received several error messages that had the
      >>> smtpd_reject_footer reduced to what you observed.
      >>
      >> That is clear. However, smtpd_reject_footer is part of the stable
      >> release, so it cannot be changed.
      >>
      >> Hence, my request for suggestions how we would document this. Maybe
      >> we can use a name similar, but not identical, to "smtpd_reject_footer".
      >
      > Another option is to extend smtpd_reject_footer's feature set,
      > so that
      >
      > smtpd_reject_footer = \c Text to append
      >
      > Will append the text without starting a new line. All other
      > smtpd_reject_footer features would work as before.
      >
      > Wietse

      I like this as the least disruptive change.

      Docs could be something like:

      Use the two character sequence \c at the beginning of the text to
      signal a single-line response. This is a compatibility aid for mail
      clients that only present one line of the server response to the
      user. The \c feature is available with postfix 2.10 and later.

      Example:

      /etc/postfix/main.cf:
      smtpd_reject_footer = \c For assistance, call 800-555-0101.

      Server response:

      550-5.5.1 <user@example> Recipient address rejected: User
      unknown; For assistance, call 800-555-0101.
    • Sahil Tandon
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2012
        On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 18:51:49 -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

        > > That is clear. However, smtpd_reject_footer is part of the stable
        > > release, so it cannot be changed.
        > >
        > > Hence, my request for suggestions how we would document this. Maybe
        > > we can use a name similar, but not identical, to "smtpd_reject_footer".
        >
        > Another option is to extend smtpd_reject_footer's feature set,
        > so that
        >
        > smtpd_reject_footer = \c Text to append
        >
        > Will append the text without starting a new line. All other
        > smtpd_reject_footer features would work as before.

        Elegant. +1 FWIW.

        --
        Sahil Tandon
      • Ralf Hildebrandt
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 30, 2012
          * Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:

          > Another option is to extend smtpd_reject_footer's feature set,
          > so that
          >
          > smtpd_reject_footer = \c Text to append
          >
          > Will append the text without starting a new line. All other
          > smtpd_reject_footer features would work as before.

          That sound's like a good idea and is backwards compatible.

          --
          Ralf Hildebrandt
          Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 30, 2012
            Ralf Hildebrandt:
            > * Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:
            >
            > > Another option is to extend smtpd_reject_footer's feature set,
            > > so that
            > >
            > > smtpd_reject_footer = \c Text to append
            > >
            > > Will append the text without starting a new line. All other
            > > smtpd_reject_footer features would work as before.
            >
            > That sound's like a good idea and is backwards compatible.

            Uploaded to
            ...postfix-mirrors/experimental/feature-patches/20120330-nobreak-reply-footer-patch

            This "should" also work with Postfix 2.8 and 2.9.

            Wietse
          • ml
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 30, 2012
              you will tell me I'm stupid but I find it on the mirrors

              --
              http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC2626742
              gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key C2626742

              http://urlshort.eu fakessh @
              http://gplus.to/sshfake
              http://gplus.to/sshswilting
              http://gplus.to/john.swilting
              https://lists.fakessh.eu/mailman/
              This list is moderated by me, but all applications will be accepted
              provided they receive a note of presentation