Re: DBMail+postfix

  • Reindl Harald
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2012
      Am 02.03.2012 18:19, schrieb Charles Marcus:
      > On 2012-03-02 10:32 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:
      >> and you can make a 100% constistent backup pf this
      >> many small files while the service is running?
      >>
      >> you can not!
      >
      > While all of this is totally OT for postfix, I just had to ask
      > you have heard of LVM/snapshots, right?

      yes it is off-topic

      you realized that FS-snapshots/LVM in a virtual machine
      on a SAN-storage are a another layer you do not want and
      simply not needed because right done backup-solutions are
      working without touching the production-server?

      these days physical hardware in a professional environment
      is getting more and more exotic because with a additional
      node in the HA-cluster you counteract the virtualization
      overhead while the unused power is available for other
      services and failover

      so the replication slave makes LVM/Snapshots on the production
      machine obsolete and gives you much more flexibility while
      the whole environment gives you much better snapshot/backup
      options like backup the whole server as it is consistently
      for disaster recovery

      the mailserver itself is only a small puzzle
    • Charles Marcus
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2012
        On 2012-03-02 12:32 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@...> wrote:
        > Am 02.03.2012 18:19, schrieb Charles Marcus:
        >> On 2012-03-02 10:32 AM, Reindl Harald<h.reindl@...> wrote:
        >>> and you can make a 100% constistent backup pf this
        >>> many small files while the service is running?
        >>>
        >>> you can not!
        >>
        >> While all of this is totally OT for postfix, I just had to ask
        >> you have heard of LVM/snapshots, right?

        > you realized that FS-snapshots/LVM in a virtual machine
        > on a SAN-storage are a another layer you do not want and
        > simply not needed because right done backup-solutions are
        > working without touching the production-server?

        I was merely pointing out that your statement was not factually correct
        - it certainly *is* possible to get a 100% consistent backup of large
        maildir mailstores on a running/active system.

        --

        Best regards,

        Charles