Re: LDAP schema for Postfix ?

  • Christian Roessner
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hi,

      > Does a Postfix specific (Open)LDAP schema exists ?
      > or a "mail server specific" ?

      I have a custom LDAP schema for my whole mail system, including Postfix, Dovecot and OpenDKIM. It is not perfect, but I can give it to you, if you want it.

      Best wishes
      Christain
      ---
      Roessner-Network-Solutions
      Bachelor of Science Informatik
      Nahrungsberg 81, 35390 Gießen
      F: +49 641 5879091, M: +49 176 93118939
      USt-IdNr.: DE225643613
      http://www.roessner-network-solutions.com
    • Frank Bonnet
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
        On 03/02/2012 01:12 PM, Christian Roessner wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        >> Does a Postfix specific (Open)LDAP schema exists ?
        >> or a "mail server specific" ?
        >
        > I have a custom LDAP schema for my whole mail system, including Postfix, Dovecot and OpenDKIM. It is not perfect, but I can give it to you, if you want it.
        >
        > Best wishes
        > Christain
        > ---
        > Roessner-Network-Solutions
        > Bachelor of Science Informatik
        > Nahrungsberg 81, 35390 Gießen
        > F: +49 641 5879091, M: +49 176 93118939
        > USt-IdNr.: DE225643613
        > http://www.roessner-network-solutions.com

        Hi Christain

        Well this would be a great help for me, of course I accept !

        Thanks a lot :-)

        Frank
      • Nerijus Kislauskas
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
          On 03/02/2012 01:56 PM, Jerry wrote:
          > There is <...> no custom "Postfix schema"

          Hi,

          maybe it is worth to make one to stop question cycle "where I can get
          postfix.schema for LDAP?".
          --
          Sincerely,
          Nerijus Kislauskas
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
            On 02.03.2012 16:25, Nerijus Kislauskas wrote:
            > On 03/02/2012 01:56 PM, Jerry wrote:
            >> There is <...> no custom "Postfix schema"
            >
            > Hi,
            >
            > maybe it is worth to make one to stop question cycle "where I can get
            > postfix.schema for LDAP?".

            It is the other way around: Postfix can use whatever scheme is
            best for your needs, it does not dictate which schema to use.
            Different usage scenarious will require different schemas.

            For user mailboxes postfix only needs to know that a given
            address exists, so you can reuse inetPerson definition and
            use it together with Dovecot for example.

            /mjt
          • Nerijus Kislauskas
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
              On 03/02/2012 02:31 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
              > It is the other way around: Postfix can use whatever scheme is
              > best for your needs, it does not dictate which schema to use.
              > Different usage scenarious will require different schemas.

              99 cases out of 100 doesn't need different schemas. So you can try to
              invent a bike again, but maybe it is easier to use invented one.

              In case user/admin needs 3-wheel bike, he can do it by itself.
              --
              Sincerely,
              Nerijus Kislauskas
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                On 02.03.2012 16:47, Nerijus Kislauskas wrote:
                > On 03/02/2012 02:31 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
                >> It is the other way around: Postfix can use whatever scheme is
                >> best for your needs, it does not dictate which schema to use.
                >> Different usage scenarious will require different schemas.
                >
                > 99 cases out of 100 doesn't need different schemas. So you can try to
                > invent a bike again, but maybe it is easier to use invented one.

                So use any standard schema your LDA and mailbox access method
                (pop/imap/whatever, ie, dovecot/courier-imap/whatever) uses.

                > In case user/admin needs 3-wheel bike, he can do it by itself.

                Sure. Just use the same thing as you use for other software.

                Note that mailbox access usually requires some authorization,
                so there, schema requiriments may be stronger.

                /mjt
              • Patrick Ben Koetter
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                  * Nerijus Kislauskas <nerijus.kislauskas@...>:
                  > On 03/02/2012 02:31 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
                  > > It is the other way around: Postfix can use whatever scheme is
                  > > best for your needs, it does not dictate which schema to use.
                  > > Different usage scenarious will require different schemas.
                  >
                  > 99 cases out of 100 doesn't need different schemas. So you can try to
                  > invent a bike again, but maybe it is easier to use invented one.

                  http://www.postfix-buch.com/download/postfix-book.schema.gz

                  p@rick

                  justified.

                  saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):
                • Nerijus Kislauskas
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                    On 03/02/2012 02:57 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
                    > So use any standard schema your LDA and mailbox access method
                    > (pop/imap/whatever, ie, dovecot/courier-imap/whatever) uses.

                    You won't believe, but people are asking same questions on dovecot's
                    mailing list. And the answer is much the same:

                    "There is no such scheme because your case is not common."

                    Thread starts here:
                    http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-July/024402.html

                    (I know, message is 5 years old, but seems nothing changed since then).

                    So speaking in your words, what is *standard schema* and how it should
                    look like? There was once a misc.schema with mailLocalAddress, mailHost,
                    mailRoutingAddress attributes and inetLocalMailRecipient object class.
                    Not sure this schema is included in LDAP by default.
                    --
                    Sincerely,
                    Nerijus Kislauskas
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 2, 2012
                      --On Friday, March 02, 2012 4:31 PM +0400 Michael Tokarev <mjt@...>
                      wrote:

                      > On 02.03.2012 16:25, Nerijus Kislauskas wrote:
                      >> On 03/02/2012 01:56 PM, Jerry wrote:
                      >>> There is <...> no custom "Postfix schema"
                      >>
                      >> Hi,
                      >>
                      >> maybe it is worth to make one to stop question cycle "where I can get
                      >> postfix.schema for LDAP?".
                      >
                      > It is the other way around: Postfix can use whatever scheme is
                      > best for your needs, it does not dictate which schema to use.
                      > Different usage scenarious will require different schemas.
                      >
                      > For user mailboxes postfix only needs to know that a given
                      > address exists, so you can reuse inetPerson definition and
                      > use it together with Dovecot for example.

                      This is, by far, the best answer. There are way too many pieces of
                      software that try and hard code themselves to a specific schema, rather
                      than being like postfix -- flexible, and able to use the schema already
                      configured by the LDAP administrators. I wish more programs were written
                      like Postfix in this regard.

                      --Quanah

                      --

                      Quanah Gibson-Mount