Re: relay emails not being received

  • Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
      Thanks for the info.

      So if email comes in from any xxx.gmail.com address, then it will not
      be relayed to "alias" gmail accounts?
      Should I be checking with the gmail folks?

      --
      Thanks
      Mary Ellen
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
        On 3/1/2012 12:50 PM, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick wrote:
        > Hoping to get some guidance for resolving a relay problem.
        > Trying to setup postfix so that incoming email is relayed to the
        > alias "test" listed in the /etc/aliases. Want all mail to be
        > relayed to other accounts/users, ie gmail, yahoo, $mydomain
        > postconf -n output below. hostname/domain: altman.bu.edu
        >
        > /etc/aliases --- ran newaliases several times
        > test: mfitzpat@..., mfitzpat11@...
        > The user, test, does exist on the system, just as an alias entry.
        >
        > If I send email from mfitzpat.bu.edu to test@... =
        > email is relayed/received at both x.bu.edu and x.gmail.com
        > If I send email from mfitzpat11.gmail.com to test@... =
        > email is only received at x.bu.edu account
        > Output from maillog says email is sent/relayed to gmail, but it is
        > never delivered... goes into a black hole... does not bounce back etc.

        Gmail suppresses duplicate messages. As far as I know that behavior
        isn't configurable.

        At any rate, postfix is properly delivering the mail, so no changes
        to postfix are necessary. If you want to pursue this further,
        you'll need to ask google where you mail went.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
          Thank you... good to know I have postfix working properly.

          --
          Thanks
          Mary Ellen

          Mary Ellen FitzPatrick
          Systems Analyst
          Bioinformatics
          Boston University
          24 Cummington St.
          Boston, MA 02215
          office 617-358-2771
          cell 617-797-7856
          mfitzpat@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
            Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick:
            > >> relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.115.27]:25, delay=0.35,
            > >> delays=0/0/0.21/0.13, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1330626887
            > >> hn4si2701387vdb.114)

            According to this Message-ID header, you are sending mail from gmail
            back to gmail.