Re: relay emails not being received

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
      Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick:
      > Output from maillog says email is sent/relayed to gmail, but it is never
      > delivered... goes into a black hole... does not bounce back etc.
      > Mar 1 13:34:46 altman postfix/cleanup[20131]: E962896FC7: message-id=
      > <CABNrs+RQmG6oxY7C+K6CdL4JQeSyfpaLKMAP_ByHjssMomre5w@...>
      > relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.115.27]:25, delay=0.35,
      > delays=0/0/0.21/0.13, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1330626887
      > hn4si2701387vdb.114)

      When Google receives mail and does not deliver it, only Google knows
      why. However, I notice that the Message-ID says gmail.com, and that
      may be part the problem: you are effectively sending messages that
      appear to originate from gmail.com, back to gmail.com.

      Wietse
    • Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
        Thanks for the info.

        So if email comes in from any xxx.gmail.com address, then it will not
        be relayed to "alias" gmail accounts?
        Should I be checking with the gmail folks?

        --
        Thanks
        Mary Ellen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
          On 3/1/2012 12:50 PM, Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick wrote:
          > Hoping to get some guidance for resolving a relay problem.
          > Trying to setup postfix so that incoming email is relayed to the
          > alias "test" listed in the /etc/aliases. Want all mail to be
          > relayed to other accounts/users, ie gmail, yahoo, $mydomain
          > postconf -n output below. hostname/domain: altman.bu.edu
          >
          > /etc/aliases --- ran newaliases several times
          > test: mfitzpat@..., mfitzpat11@...
          > The user, test, does exist on the system, just as an alias entry.
          >
          > If I send email from mfitzpat.bu.edu to test@... =
          > email is relayed/received at both x.bu.edu and x.gmail.com
          > If I send email from mfitzpat11.gmail.com to test@... =
          > email is only received at x.bu.edu account
          > Output from maillog says email is sent/relayed to gmail, but it is
          > never delivered... goes into a black hole... does not bounce back etc.

          Gmail suppresses duplicate messages. As far as I know that behavior
          isn't configurable.

          At any rate, postfix is properly delivering the mail, so no changes
          to postfix are necessary. If you want to pursue this further,
          you'll need to ask google where you mail went.

          -- Noel Jones
        • Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
            Thank you... good to know I have postfix working properly.

            --
            Thanks
            Mary Ellen

            Mary Ellen FitzPatrick
            Systems Analyst
            Bioinformatics
            Boston University
            24 Cummington St.
            Boston, MA 02215
            office 617-358-2771
            cell 617-797-7856
            mfitzpat@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
              Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick:
              > >> relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.115.27]:25, delay=0.35,
              > >> delays=0/0/0.21/0.13, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1330626887
              > >> hn4si2701387vdb.114)

              According to this Message-ID header, you are sending mail from gmail
              back to gmail.