Re: Not receiving copy of e-mail I have sent

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      Mari?n ?ern?:
      > > Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
      > > of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
      > > sender).
      >
      > I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
      >
      > John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior
      > one. Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when
      > Mark sends an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his
      > own e-mail.)

      I have a suggestion: tell them to press the DELETE button when they
      see their own email. If people feel this is an excessive burden,
      then maybe they should spend less of their life doing email.

      Wietse
    • Reindl Harald
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        Am 01.03.2012 19:06, schrieb Marián Černý:
        >> Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
        >> of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
        >> sender).
        >
        > I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
        >
        > John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one.
        > Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends
        > an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)

        i would solve both on the MDA

        in dbmail as example i can set
        "john@..." -> deliver_to phyical user_id
        "john@..." -> alias to "mark@..."

        additionally a sieve-script could discrard messages
        where from and to matches "mark@..."

        done in 5 minutes depending un your MDA
        however, the MTA is in my opinion the totally wrong place
        because even if you got it to work beware of multi-rcpt
        messages which does not matter/exist in this form after
        the MDA (dbmail, dovecot..) got the mail via LMTP
      • Marián Černý
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
          Reindl Harald wrote:
          >>> Take a step back. Please describe the problem (why extra copies
          >>> of mail) instead of the solution (alias feature that excludes the
          >>> sender).
          >>
          >> I don't know how to better describe the problem. Maybe the following:
          >>
          >> John is a new junior employee in a company and Mark is a senior one.
          >> Mark wants to receive all John's e-mails as well. (But when Mark sends
          >> an e-mail to John, he doesn't want to get a copy of his own e-mail.)
          >
          > i would solve both on the MDA
          >
          > in dbmail as example i can set
          > "john@..." -> deliver_to phyical user_id
          > "john@..." -> alias to "mark@..."
          >
          > additionally a sieve-script could discrard messages
          > where from and to matches "mark@..."
          >
          > done in 5 minutes depending un your MDA
          > however, the MTA is in my opinion the totally wrong place
          > because even if you got it to work beware of multi-rcpt
          > messages which does not matter/exist in this form after
          > the MDA (dbmail, dovecot..) got the mail via LMTP

          Thanks for the tip. I was not using MDA before. I have installed maildrop for that purpose and managed to configure it to discard emails where sender equals recipient.

          Marian